Another LEO shoots homeowner/occupant - Page 3

Another LEO shoots homeowner/occupant

This is a discussion on Another LEO shoots homeowner/occupant within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by 1942bull I agree. Listen to the audio. The officer yells drop the weapon and then immediately fires his weapon. Did you listen ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree283Likes

Thread: Another LEO shoots homeowner/occupant

Distinguished Member Array Double Naught Spy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    I agree. Listen to the audio. The officer yells drop the weapon and then immediately fires his weapon.
    Did you listen to the audio? The officer never yells "drop the weapon." He yells, "Put your hands up. Show me your hands" and then fires.

Quote Originally Posted by starlights View Post
    - cop was a rookie, came on 4/2018
    - made a poor rookie move
    How many years of experience before one is not a rookie? This wasn't his first year.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    Was the resident threatening, or merely holding a gun? Was the resident even holding a gun?
    Someone comes creeping around my windows with a flashlight, you can be certain I'll be holding a gun. She looks like one of us: responsible armed citizen.

This looks more like a procedure problem than anything else to me. And, yeah, young cop reacting way too quickly without fully understanding the situation. Peaceful homeowner killed in own home? This is a real Charlie Foxtrot. I could see negligent homicide charges coming out of this for the poor cop, but I'm not sure it's entirely his fault.

What a tragedy all around; what a shame.
    graydude, Havok and Texas Red like this.

Seems LE 101 also has been suffered dumbing down like most educational classes.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    Did you listen to the audio? The officer never yells "drop the weapon." He yells, "Put your hands up. Show me your hands" and then fires.
    I got the officer's command wrong. I did not get it wrong that he fired too quickly. But I really ought not have gotten his words wrong.

I wonder what the SOP says about officers walking past unlocked or open doors unannounced.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

So, the officer was dispatched for a "welfare call" because the neighbor saw her door open.

He gets there, sees her in her own home, shouts at her and then kills her.

There's no excuse. This isn't bad. It's several orders of magnitude beyond that. I won't pretend to know how justice should be served here, but that rook should be facing some VERY rough consequences.
    Havok, Risasi, Doghandler and 2 others like this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    This will not play out well for the officer, considering it's on the heels of the Amber Guyger case, and in Fort Worth, so close to Dallas. I'm not sure what the possible charges are but manslaughter sounds about right, even if it's a result of inadequate training. It may even end up being a murder charge. And being that there are many officers on the Fort Worth force who had the same training and have made better decisions, even in more stressful situations, this particular officer should probably have never been put into active duty on the streets and may have been better suited for desk duty. A year from now, when this case comes to trial, it will be interesting to see how it ends up. One thing is for certain; The African American community is sick and tired of this repetitive scenario. And they should be. Tragedy is tragedy for both families no matter how you try to make sense of it. And as for the neighbor who called it in, I'm on the fence with his measure of responsibility for this happening. He didn't seem too concerned with being the catalyst that started it all. And, as everyone knows, people sometimes stay up late, party, make noise, etc. And bad guys who invade homes in the middle of the night seldom turn on the lights and make a party of it.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Too little info to make a decision, it will be interesting to see what the investigation uncovers.
    This. Itís said there was a handgun in the house, but doesnít say where. The officer could see more than the body cam, but not much more. Itís possible - somewhat - that the victim was holding a phone, not a gun. How ironic (and terrible) it would be if she was on the phone with 911 saying some suspicious person was walking around her house shining a light in the windows.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

The officer needs to put themself in the shoes of those they are serving. How would he react to a person snooping around his garage and backyard with a flashlight after dark. Show up unannounced, snooping in the dark, expect to be shot.

Unfortunately, this officer forced an innocent life to be at the other end of that equation.
    Psycho41 and Pain like this.
    Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead1026 View Post
    This. Itís said there was a handgun in the house, but doesnít say where. The officer could see more than the body cam, but not much more. Itís possible - somewhat - that the victim was holding a phone, not a gun. How ironic (and terrible) it would be if she was on the phone with 911 saying some suspicious person was walking around her house shining a light in the windows.
    People are allowed to have a handgun in their house.
    Psycho41, Pain, Risasi and 1 others like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    People are allowed to have a handgun in their house.
    Sure. Was it found next to her body (i. e. , she was holding it) or was it locked in her nightstand?

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

Sure. Was it found next to her body (i. e. , she was holding it) or was it locked in her nightstand?
    Itís her house. It doesnít really matter.

Nix

Would she be wrong to have a pistol in her hand when some unidentified guy is creeping around her house, peering in her windows? Would that justify killing her?

Until further evidence convinces me otherwise, this looks like an incident caused by the Fort Worth PD.

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    The officer needs to put themself in the shoes of those they are serving. How would he react to a person snooping around his garage and backyard with a flashlight after dark. Show up unannounced, snooping in the dark, expect to be shot.

Unfortunately, this officer forced an innocent life to be at the other end of that equation.
    Yep, this cops lucky he was the one still breathing afterward. Many would shoot at someone for snooping outside their window, especially when they donít identify themselves as a cop.

The body cam footage is going to bury him. Particularly in DFW right now. Thereís a growing lack of patience with the police.
    Nmuskier likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    Yep, this cops lucky he was the one still breathing afterward. Many would shoot at someone for snooping outside their window, especially when they donít identify themselves as a cop.

The body cam footage is going to bury him. Particularly in DFW right now. Thereís a growing lack of patience with the police.
    If the shoe were on the other foot and she had killed the officer, people would be screaming about her not identifying her target, but since heís an officer, itís ok because he feared for his life or whatever.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links