Another LEO shoots homeowner/occupant - Page 6

Another LEO shoots homeowner/occupant

This is a discussion on Another LEO shoots homeowner/occupant within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Havok Iím sure the family of the victim never imagined she would die this way. I never said there was a high ...

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree287Likes

Thread: Another LEO shoots homeowner/occupant

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Iím sure the family of the victim never imagined she would die this way. I never said there was a high probability of it happening. The fact that people will take the officers side is a big concern though.
    So you're not worried about leo's shooting a family member seeing an open door, got it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    So you're not worried about leo's shooting a family member seeing an open door, got it.
    You can interpret it however you want. We will have differing opinions on this topic no matter how much we argue.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Not sure about Havok, but that scenario doesn't keep me up at night.
    Lots of other things do.
    Every night before I turn in, I make sure all the doors and windows in my house are secure.
    I check the gates on my fence and my garage.
    Make sure security lights are on.
    AzQkr and gatorbait51 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    If the cops didn't think that there was a target on their back, literally and figuratively, the tension level would go way down and so would these bad outcomes.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnius View Post
    Let's not use emotion and feelings instead of facts like the anti-gun media do. Deadly assaults on police officers have been downtrending for decades. Now, the community relations are AWFUL, partly because of media and faux outrage, partly because of pandering by the left, and partly because of the pervasive belief within the force, that the police play by different rules.
    Unfortunately we're in the midst of a retaliation cycle, and many of the people involved on both sides will ignore statistics because of compelling anecdotes that reinforce their beliefs.

Community members see an innocent person gunned down in their neighborhood (not necessarily in this case; the facts are still incomplete, even if initial appearances don't look favorable for the officer). That's personal, and can override statistical logic for many people. They get angry, and further upset when the perpetrators aren't held as accountable as desired. So they speak out, and act out.

The media turns it into a circus. Then cops and their families start to worry more. Senior leaders in departments capitalize on the tension to increase funding, and rather than working to calm the force their actions reinforce the worries of the force. A general mood of "us vs. them" develops and cops in a department become increasingly concerned with survival, leading some to resort to lethal force sooner than they might have otherwise.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
    AzQkr likes this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

You can interpret it however you want. We will have differing opinions on this topic no matter how much we argue.
    Well, which is it, you're worried about it happening to your family or you're not. There's NO ambiguity to either you are or are not.

Fox reports the officer has resigned, and the Chief said he would have fired him if he hadn't. They also said that he officer was called out for a "welfare check," and that the officer shot her from outside and through a window. It looks like a bad shoot to me at this point.
    Last edited by OlCop; October 15th, 2019 at 12:07 AM.
    StripesDude and ETXhiker like this.
    ďI wonít be wronged, I wonít be insulted, and I wonít be laid a hand on. I donít do these things to other people and I require the same from them.Ē John Wayne - The Shootist

"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." Seneca

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Cop resigned today. Chief said he was prepared to fire him, but he resigned before that happened.

Iím afraid Fort Worth is about to see lots of turmoil. She wasnít resisting or running or caught breaking the law. Thereís no excuse for what this guy did.
    Havok and Cnon like this.

Nix
    Damn sad.

I'll be more sorry if all the blame lands on the officer and isn't shared by the department. Easy to make a young guy the scapegoat, but this feels deeper than that to me. Right now it seems like the chief is ducking what looks like a bigger issue, but, of course, the story hasn't been fully told yet.
    ETXhiker likes this.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Fort Worth PD has been in turmoil for a while.
    They are getting sued by the former police chief for wrongful termination.
    The Chief now is an interim one.
    Like I said, these big city governments have their police always twisting in the wind.
    They never know if anyone has their back.
    Darn hard way to do a hard job.
    Nix and AzQkr like this.

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar

Like the other case, I would think manslaughter would be more appropriate.
    We get the government we deserve.

Arrest was inevitable.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

How does anyone justify this shooting, at all? I mean, I know we have LEO apologists, bootlickers, haters, and all shades in between, but damn. He shot her before he was done yelling at her.

How do we concealed carriers get held to a higher standard than these people? I won't even peek in my own windows without telling my wife it's me. Why didn't he use the front door? So many questions, and I know being a cop is hard, but wow.

Like the other case, I would think manslaughter would be more appropriate.
    I agree with you in spirit. However, Murder vs. Manslaughter can be defined differently from state to state. In Texas, murder is defined as:
    (b) A person commits an offense if he:
    (1) intentionally or knowingly causes the death of an individual;
    (2) intends to cause serious bodily injury and commits an act clearly dangerous to human life that causes the death of an individual; or
    (3) commits or attempts to commit a felony, other than manslaughter, and in the course of and in furtherance of the commission or attempt, or in immediate flight from the commission or attempt, he commits or attempts to commit an act clearly dangerous to human life that causes the death of an individual.
    Whereas Manslaughter is
    A person commits an offense if he recklessly causes the death of an individual.
    (a) A person commits an offense if he causes the death of an individual by criminal negligence.
    Based on what has been reported thus far, the he intentionally fired upon the woman from an alleged threat which is an act that is "clearly dangerous to human life" and resulted in her death. I don't think he can claim it was "reckless" or "negligent" if he is also stating that he pulled the trigger intentionally. I have no doubt he didn't go up to the house with the intent of shooting anyone, let alone an innocent woman. Perhaps, he accidentally pulled the trigger because he was "surprised" by the person on the other side of the window. If that was the case, he should have said so instead of using the "I (unreasonably) feared for my life" tactic.
    Havok likes this.

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho41 View Post
    I agree with you in spirit. However, Murder vs. Manslaughter can be defined differently from state to state. In Texas, murder is defined as:

Whereas Manslaughter is

Based on what has been reported thus far, the he intentionally fired upon the woman from an alleged threat which is an act that is "clearly dangerous to human life" and resulted in her death. I don't think he can claim it was "reckless" or "negligent" if he is also stating that he pulled the trigger intentionally. I have no doubt he didn't go up to the house with the intent of shooting anyone, let alone an innocent woman. Perhaps, he accidentally pulled the trigger because he was "surprised" by the person on the other side of the window. If that was the case, he should have said so instead of using the "I (unreasonably) feared for my life" tactic.

I'm no lawyer, but I don't think he 'intended' to kill her. Her death was the result of his actions, yes. His actions might be construed as negligent (that's beyond my ability to know). So manslaughter would seem the more appropriate charge here. However, I don't know all the facts and am just speculating out loud. Probably a bad idea on my part.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links