Another LEO shoots homeowner/occupant - Page 8

Another LEO shoots homeowner/occupant

This is a discussion on Another LEO shoots homeowner/occupant within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by graydude Body cam video was included in the story linked in post #1. The cops walked right past the “open” doors without ...

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree283Likes

Thread: Another LEO shoots homeowner/occupant

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    Body cam video was included in the story linked in post #1. The cops walked right past the “open” doors without speaking to occupants or knocking, and proceeded to whisper to each other before opening the closed fence gate.

If you have a link to video showing the cops tried to communicate with people inside I’d like to see it. It wouldn’t justify his actions but might reduce punishment.
    This hurts me after being a Ft Worth cop in the 1980's. A cops job is not for the timid. You have to be outgoing, and sometimes do things that could put yourself in harms way.
    ETXhiker, Havok, Nix and 8 others like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by starlights View Post
    - oldest lawyer game in the book
    - accidentally on purpose overcharge the cop with murder
    - automatic aquatal since he legally committed manslaughter
    - it will be legally difficult to prove he INTENDED to kill her UNLESS he confesses this to detectives or later takes the witness stand and confesses to this like Guyger foolishly did

- I am glad he did the NOBLE thing and quit... removing the risk from the streets

- the sad part about this case is the woman was a good person. AP nerd, pre-med, fun auntie playing video games w/ her nephew. Faultless. Everything society says a good person should be..

- that's what's sad here..

- i think in this case everyone is putting emotions aside, not picking 'sides' and trying to seriously get this sloppiness to stop.

- RAISE THE BAR on police training like it was back-in-the-day...
    - maybe even force rookies to use a 6-shot service revolver like the old days so they learn condifence, markmanship, and trigger discipline...

- would this cop have still shot early IF he only had 6 chambers of 38+P or 357mag?
    - them 6 shots cops had back in the day meant something -- they were for serious situations ONLY.

- modern-day 8 shot 357 revolvers exist... bring em back (SW TRR8, etc)

just a thought........

:)
    The jury will receive instructions from the judge on returning a verdict for murder as well as a lesser charge of manslaughter. This happened last week with Guyger. The over-charge strategy doesn’t work.

Nix
    Let's wait to see how this works itself out. Thoughts and prayers for all involved. I'm sure there are many people hurting over this.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Let's wait to see how this works itself out. Thoughts and prayers for all involved. I'm sure there are many people hurting over this.
    It's working itself out as we watch, and not for the better.
    Nix, MMinSC and alsaqr like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    It's working itself out as we watch, and not for the better.
    "Better"?

I'd like to hear the dispatch on this call. What did these officers think they were walking into?

Welfare check for an open door-knock on door frame and announce yourself, you don't start off peering through windows looking for something else.

Definitely a bad outcome and I'd like to know what precipitated it.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

I guess we know what the perceived threat to the officer was.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...9Of6gUpmvdB4k8

Aaron Dean was arrested Monday and quickly released on $200,000 bond. (Tarrant County Jail)(Tarrant County Sheriff's Dept.)
    The boy, who was in the room with Jefferson when she was shot, told a forensic interviewer that he and his aunt were playing video games together about 2:30 a.m. Saturday when she heard noises outside their home in the 1200 block of East Allen Avenue.

Jefferson, 28, took her handgun from her purse and pointed it “toward the window” before she was shot, the nephew said, according to the arrest-warrant affidavit.

Distinguished Member
    The deceased had a gun in her hand according to the arrest documents. Reuters is reporting that the woman picked up her gun from her purse after she saw someone outside her window.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN1WU2JA
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    The deceased had a gun in her hand according to the arrest documents. Reuters is reporting that the woman picked up her gun from her purse after she saw someone outside her window.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN1WU2JA
    The cop is lucky she didn't get off a shot. He isn't so lucky on everything else.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The cop is lucky she didn't get off a shot. He isn't so lucky on everything else.

She sees someone pointing a flashlight and gun in her window, she’d have been justified in taking a shot. He didn’t announce who he was. Could have been anyone.

My guess is the murder charges stick and he does quite a few years. They’ll be hard pressed finding a jury sympathetic to him.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    She sees someone pointing a flashlight and gun in her window, she’d have been justified in taking a shot. He didn’t announce who he was. Could have been anyone.

My guess is the murder charges stick and he does quite a few years. They’ll be hard pressed finding a jury sympathetic to him.
    If my post about the gun lead anyone to believe that I say it as justification for the officer's action. please know that I think he was wrong in the way he approached the tasks and then engaged the victim.

That said, The new revelation hints at a reasonable doubt defense. I can hear the lawyer in arguments: "he saw the gun and he feared for his life."

I am not so convinced he will be convicted.
    StripesDude likes this.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    If my post about the gun lead anyone to believe that I say it as justification for the officer's action. please know that I think he was wrong in the way he approached the tasks and then engaged the victim.

That said, The new revelation hints at a reasonable doubt defense. I can hear the lawyer in arguments: "he saw the gun and he feared for his life."

I am not so convinced he will be convicted.
    I believe in this day and age, reasonable doubt is out the window and he will be convicted with a much lower burden of proof. Opposite of jury nullification. This guy will be made an example of.

I watched the Chief’s press conference today. He got through less than 5 minutes before he started choking up and left the podium. This has shaken him because he knows one of his officers significantly screwed up.

Who among us wouldn't reach for a firearm if unknowns were lurking outside our homes, shining lights through the windows?

Seems very strange to me that the officers didn't announce their presence. Seems strange that they didn't knock at the door or have dispatch call the homeowner to see if there was an issue.

The shoot first, ask questions later approach fails once again.
    Havok, 1942bull, OldVet and 5 others like this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    She sees someone pointing a flashlight and gun in her window, she’d have been justified in taking a shot.
    I don't think it would be wise to start blasting away at someone outside who isn't actively trying to break down the door and enter. Could be someone looking for a lost dog.
    TSKnight, Nix, Risasi and 1 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    This hurts me after being a Ft Worth cop in the 1980's. A cops job is not for the timid. You have to be outgoing, and sometimes do things that could put yourself in harms way.
    I have some further comment on this thought. There was always (or so I thought) an unwritten and often unspoken rule in law enforcement. You are held to a much higher standard to respond, not a lower or equal standard than the non LEO. Basically you know you may have to take a hit to know clearly where you stand in response. That was always the standard for the guys I knew and we took that as just part of the job. I know it sounds strange to most of us but, you often (not always,depending on circumstance) have to wait longer as a cop to respond with deadly force, you can't just "fear for your life" or "think, your in danger" you have to know....period.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Sponsored Links