Walmart "Terrorist" sentenced after pleading to a lesser charge - Page 7

Walmart "Terrorist" sentenced after pleading to a lesser charge

This is a discussion on Walmart "Terrorist" sentenced after pleading to a lesser charge within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; He didnt cause that though, the person who called 911 did....

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 122
Like Tree203Likes

Thread: Walmart "Terrorist" sentenced after pleading to a lesser charge

  1. #91
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    6,765
    He didnt cause that though, the person who called 911 did.
    Risasi likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

  2. #92
    Senior Member Array Risasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Great Plains
    Posts
    652
    Meanwhile in other news: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2019/11/1650.html

    "Oklahoma going to constitutional carry marks nearly 1/3 of the US dispensing with the false comfort of unconstitutional restrictions on carry.

    They carried their AR's openly too. Pictures from linked Fox News article."
    I'm all for open carry. But some here on this forum have made some good points regarding the manner in how we law abiding citizens go about doing it. This has given me pause, and we could do better in how we represent. Even this guy, if I were there, I would have kept an eye on him. Does this mean I think he should have been arrested and forced into some stupid plea deal? Heck no.

    I still wonder how our hapless Walmart clown would have been treated had he been wearing cowboy boots, a flannel shirt and a 30-30 strapped across his back rather than the AR-15 and body armor.
    KILTED COWBOY likes this.

  3. #93
    Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    1,084
    I just go back to the old adage, and it is quite simple for me
    Just because you can,
    Doesn't mean you should.
    Keep in mind what had just occurred a few day prior.
    Maybe the response would have been different if El Paso did not happen

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #94
    Senior Member Array Bikenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Too close to Saginaw Mi.
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    I just go back to the old adage, and it is quite simple for me
    Just because you can,
    Doesn't mean you should.
    Keep in mind what had just occurred a few day prior.
    Maybe the response would have been different if El Paso did not happen
    When it comes to rights:

    -Just because someone thinks you shouldn't should have no impact on whether you can.

    -If rights are subject to opinion then there are no rights only privileges subject to what other people think you shouldn't.

    -If what actions are allowed and NOT allowed are subject to what other people think you shouldn't then eventually there won't be anything other people will think you should.

    -And lastly, if I can who are you to say I shouldn't?*

    *Thought I'd come back and clarify this last statement was intended in a generic sense and not directed at you KILTED COWBOY personally.
    Havok likes this.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

  6. #95
    Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    1,084
    This is my personal way of how I live my life.
    There are a lot of things I can do legally, but choose not to do because I think I should not do it.
    There are certain business practices that are totally legal to do but you know that it will hurt someone or totally screw them over.
    You can do it legally, BUT should you?

  7. #96
    Senior Member Array KevinRohrer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Medina, Ohio
    Posts
    800
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    I stated facts. You're putting more effort into spinning my comments than CNN.

    We also know now that he wasnt shooting up walmart. At the time, he was just a guy with stuff that he legally owned, and could wear. This is reality, whether you like it or not.
    You stated nothing beyond making Trolling statements.

    And it is irrelevant what we know now. What matters is what people at the time saw and feared. THAT is reality, whether you like it or not.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion

  8. #97
    Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    DFW Texas
    Posts
    1,804
    For those of you hiding behind the word ďrightĒ...please PM me the address of where youíll be eating an upcoming dinner with your family. Iím going to come and assert my first amendment right to free speech. Iíll call you names, hit on your wife, tell your kids thereís no Santa or Easter Bunny, and otherwise make a horses patoot out of myself. But I wonít break any laws, I wonít slander you or curse at you (so as to not violate obscenity statutes).

    Just because I can, doesnít mean I should.

  9. #98
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    6,765

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinRohrer View Post
    You stated nothing beyond making Trolling statements.

    And it is irrelevant what we know now. What matters is what people at the time saw and feared. THAT is reality, whether you like it or not.
    Youíre emotional and Iím not. Get over it.

    Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    For those of you hiding behind the word ďrightĒ...please PM me the address of where youíll be eating an upcoming dinner with your family. Iím going to come and assert my first amendment right to free speech. Iíll call you names, hit on your wife, tell your kids thereís no Santa or Easter Bunny, and otherwise make a horses patoot out of myself. But I wonít break any laws, I wonít slander you or curse at you (so as to not violate obscenity statutes).

    Just because I can, doesnít mean I should.
    Too bad. We just got back from dinner. So you think you should be arrested for this? Not really an even comparison though. It would be more similar if you thought someone should be able to have you arrested for what youíre wearing, or an item you have with you that you are allowed to have, even if youíre minding your own business.
    We get the government we deserve.

  10. #99
    Senior Member Array Bikenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Too close to Saginaw Mi.
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    For those of you hiding behind the word ďrightĒ...please PM me the address of where youíll be eating an upcoming dinner with your family. Iím going to come and assert my first amendment right to free speech. Iíll call you names, hit on your wife, tell your kids thereís no Santa or Easter Bunny, and otherwise make a horses patoot out of myself. But I wonít break any laws, I wonít slander you or curse at you (so as to not violate obscenity statutes).

    Just because I can, doesnít mean I should.
    I wonder if exercising free speech on a forum might make someone ... feel... threatened? After all some guy walked through a Walmart exercising his right to bear arms (with the manager's permission) doing nothing more violent than recording himself doing some shopping and someone .... felt... threatened.

    And the guy in Walmart was punished by the authorities (along with gun owners/carriers joining anti gunners in ridiculing and condemning him) for the terrible crime of somebody ... feeling... threatened by him legally exercising the right to bear arms even though he had the permission of Walmart's manager.

    Does the level of outrage expressed by gun owners/carriers in many of the posts in this discussion sound similar to what we hear from the anti gunners about guns help anyone understand how ridiculous making the exercising of rights subject to how someone... feels... is?
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

  11. #100
    Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    DFW Texas
    Posts
    1,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Youíre emotional and Iím not. Get over it.



    Too bad. We just got back from dinner. So you think you should be arrested for this? Not really an even comparison though. It would be more similar if you thought someone should be able to have you arrested for what youíre wearing, or an item you have with you that you are allowed to have, even if youíre minding your own business.
    You completely missed my point. Iím not arguing for or against the arrests of these yahoos. Iím arguing that they shouldnít have been so stupid to begin with. There are lots of things that are legal. And some on here have no concept of how behavior within a society places natural limits on whatís acceptable regardless of legality.

  12. #101
    Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    DFW Texas
    Posts
    1,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    I wonder if exercising free speech on a forum might make someone ... feel... threatened? After all some guy walked through a Walmart exercising his right to bear arms (with the manager's permission) doing nothing more violent than recording himself doing some shopping and someone .... felt... threatened.

    And the guy in Walmart was punished by the authorities (along with gun owners/carriers joining anti gunners in ridiculing and condemning him) for the terrible crime of somebody ... feeling... threatened by him legally exercising the right to bear arms even though he had the permission of Walmart's manager.

    Does the level of outrage expressed by gun owners/carriers in many of the posts in this discussion sound similar to what we hear from the anti gunners about guns help anyone understand how ridiculous making the exercising of rights subject to how someone... feels... is?
    What time is dinner?

  13. #102
    VIP Member Array maxwell97's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    9,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    I wonder if exercising free speech on a forum might make someone ... feel... threatened? After all some guy walked through a Walmart exercising his right to bear arms (with the manager's permission) doing nothing more violent than recording himself doing some shopping and someone .... felt... threatened.

    And the guy in Walmart was punished by the authorities (along with gun owners/carriers joining anti gunners in ridiculing and condemning him) for the terrible crime of somebody ... feeling... threatened by him legally exercising the right to bear arms even though he had the permission of Walmart's manager.

    Does the level of outrage expressed by gun owners/carriers in many of the posts in this discussion sound similar to what we hear from the anti gunners about guns help anyone understand how ridiculous making the exercising of rights subject to how someone... feels... is?
    Context matters. In the context of recent events, what the guy did was certain to cause very justifiable worry amongst totally rational people. A fact that the guy certainly realized, based on his statements beforehand, and in fact his goal was to cause fear.

    Under different circumstances, simply carrying a gun or two may not have caused a problem. In these circumstances, it was a crime, and it's right he be punished.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

  14. #103
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    6,765
    Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    You completely missed my point. Iím not arguing for or against the arrests of these yahoos. Iím arguing that they shouldnít have been so stupid to begin with. There are lots of things that are legal. And some on here have no concept of how behavior within a society places natural limits on whatís acceptable regardless of legality.
    Whether itís stupid is a matter of opinion. Whether or not it is legal, is fact. Itís only stupid because itís different than what you do.

  15. #104
    VIP Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    5,093
    Quote Originally Posted by johndp1911 View Post
    Correct, and I'd like to add that he got permission before doing so.
    This is a disingenuous misrepresentation of facts. He made an anonymous call to verify the store's firearm policy. He did not get individual permission from any entity to run a social experiment.
    Psalm 144:1

  16. #105
    Senior Member Array KevinRohrer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Medina, Ohio
    Posts
    800
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    This is a disingenuous misrepresentation of facts. He made an anonymous call to verify the store's firearm policy. He did not get individual permission from any entity to run a social experiment.
    And is it irrelevant if he "got permission" or not. He cried FIRE! in a crowded theater, and the outcome was predictable.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •