Taxpayer relief shot

Taxpayer relief shot

This is a discussion on Taxpayer relief shot within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This home intruder got a lesson in the dangers of his ways, DRT: https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ednesday-night...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 4 Post By CavemanBob
  • 1 Post By ButtShot14
  • 2 Post By mmb617
  • 2 Post By SouthernBoyVA
  • 2 Post By RedSafety
  • 3 Post By Nmuskier

Thread: Taxpayer relief shot

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar

Taxpayer relief shot

This home intruder got a lesson in the dangers of his ways, DRT:

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ednesday-night
    The best citizenry is an informed citizenry

NRA Patron member

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    Sounds like something fishy about this one.

This is confusing. No criminal intent? Not enough info to know what really happened.
    baren likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Holy lack of information Batman!
    baren and ep1953 like this.

Let's see. Entered the home around 11:30 pm. That makes the "visitor" a burglar. Burglary is a felony for which a deadly force response is justified where I live. You don't have to determine motive or criminal intent. The fact that the man entered a dwelling at that time, uninvited IS criminal intent. Then there is the thing about refusing to leave when told and then approaching the occupants of the dwelling. What more do you need? Only questions that might be posed could be why was he there and was he known to the occupants. But neither of those questions are relevant to the actions of the homeowner.

When a burglar is in your home, the onus of liability is not on your actions but his. Should you choose to yell at him to get out and he does, then that is your take and if you're comfortable doing this then fine. On the other hand, if you take the decision to use deadly force, you have no duty to warn him or to make certain that he has the means to do serious bodily harm on you and yours. He is a burglar and that makes him open to immediate targeting. So it really becomes a personal decision as to what you, the legal occupant, wishes to do about the matter.
    ep1953 and M1911A1 like this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    May not be criminal intent if the home invader was mentally diminished. Could be he went to the wrong house for some reason; drunk, high, or any cause of temporary or permanent dementia. That still doesn't negate the right to defend oneself and one's family. The fact he didn't leave when instructed to do so, and instead allegedly continued advancing on the family, justifies the shooting. It's sad he died, especially if it was due to some sort of mental condition causing disorientation.
    baren and M1911A1 like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    Sounds like something fishy about this one.
    Takwon had dirt on the Clintons. Accidents happen.
    The Old Anglo, GpTom and M1911A1 like this.
    Psalm 144:1

Distinguished Member Array ep1953's Avatar
    Doesn't matter if the intruder was mental, drunk or otherwise. He advanced on the homeowner after being told to leave. I would have shot him under the same circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    May not be criminal intent if the home invader was mentally diminished. Could be he went to the wrong house for some reason; drunk, high, or any cause of temporary or permanent dementia. That still doesn't negate the right to defend oneself and one's family. The fact he didn't leave when instructed to do so, and instead allegedly continued advancing on the family, justifies the shooting. It's sad he died, especially if it was due to some sort of mental condition causing disorientation.
    This may be all well and good, however would you be willing to risk your life and that of any other occupants of the home were something like this to take place? The reality is that it IS a matter of judgement. By that I mean what are the core moral beliefs of the potential victims? Are they inclined to determine the reason the intruder is in their home?

The bottom line is rather simple. Does one feel that the safety of themselves and others in the home is in serious danger. While that is not a requirement where I live under these circumstances, it very well may be both a legal and a moral consideration with a lot of people in the country. One's best approach is to have already considered their options, responsibilities, and actions, based upon the law and their own convictions, prior to such an event taking place.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    SouthernBoy, thank you for agreeing with me. You sound like my wife, arguing when we agree.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    SouthernBoy, thank you for agreeing with me. You sound like my wife, arguing when we agree.
    I prefer not to think of discussions on this, or any other forum, as arguing. It has been my experience over the years to try to avoid such entanglements since all too often they tend to lead to heated verbal/text confrontations. I learned a long time ago that when your opponent has run out of substantive facts and turns to emotional attacks, you have won. But in your win, you may wind up going through a gauntlet and be quite frazzled at the end of it all. Besides, people with different takes may just have something of value to add that one has not considered before. I see that as a good thing.

As for an intruder into one's home in the night, what a homeowner may choose to do is going to be guided by the law and his own personal moral code. I would hope that both of these factors will allow an effective action on his part to meet the threat and do what must be done in the moment to protect him and his family, whatever that action may be.

America First!

Sponsored Links