Jacked UPS truck, 4 dead in Miami

This is a discussion on Jacked UPS truck, 4 dead in Miami within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wow! This has everything. Car jacked truck, chase, helicopters and moving shootout! https://miami.cbslocal.com/2019/12/0...-miracle-mile/...

Like Tree19Likes
  • 2 Post By MMinSC
  • 4 Post By NECCdude
  • 2 Post By 1942bull
  • 1 Post By PPS1980
  • 6 Post By jmf552
  • 2 Post By PPS1980
  • 2 Post By maxwell97

Thread: Jacked UPS truck, 4 dead in Miami

Wow! This has everything. Car jacked truck, chase, helicopters and moving shootout!

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2019/12/0...-miracle-mile/
    ETXhiker and msgt/ret like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Distinguished Member
    Sad that 2 innocents were killed including the UPS driver.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Ex Member
    Hopefully the two innocent deceased persons were not killed by LE fire. If one or both were I think there will be a lot of criticism aimed at the police. The report that 19 officers were firing into the UPS truck could be deemed as excessive if the hostage UPS driver was killed by LE fire. It is reports like this that are glad I once overcame the urge to become a LEO. They are damned if they do and damned if the do not. It has to be hard working in that kind of reality.
    ETXhiker and airslot like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Don't forget the woman at the original jewelry store that was reportedly shot in the head but apparently alive and being treated.
    MMinSC likes this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

The situation is certainly tragic and I don't mean make light of it, but sometimes humor breaks the tension. My first thought was that although Amazon has their own trucks now, they still do a lot of deliveries by UPS. I can see people returning stuff to Amazon:

Reason for return (pull down menu): Product and package damaged

Comments: Bullet holes in product and package
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Big stink going on about LE using civilian-occupied vehicles for cover.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    "The South Florida cops who fired weapons during Thursday’s wild deadly shootout with two stickup men who stole a UPS truck have been placed on administrative leave, according to reports. Thirteen of the 19 police officers who engaged the armed robbers were from the Miami-Dade Police Department, WFOR-TV reported Friday." All 19 have been placed on administrative leave while the FBI investigates whether they handled the situation appropriately or endangered the hostage and other citizens due to their responses.
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/cops-sout...-leave-reports
    Rock and Glock and msgt/ret like this.

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    Another video prospective.

"BFriedmanDC
    Dec 6
    More
    3. I count at least five instances of cops firing on the vehicle *with the hostage* while using occupied civilian vehicles as *human shields.* This is shocking and deplorable police work. Everyone should have their badges and guns taken away."

https://twitter.com/BFriedmanDC/stat...61963137093632
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
    Another video prospective.

"BFriedmanDC
    Dec 6
    More
    3. I count at least five instances of cops firing on the vehicle *with the hostage* while using occupied civilian vehicles as *human shields.* This is shocking and deplorable police work. Everyone should have their badges and guns taken away."

https://twitter.com/BFriedmanDC/stat...61963137093632
    There may be valid criticisms of the tactics, but so far I haven't heard any reasonable suggestions about better tactics that could have been used.

I heard one ex-police chief say that they should have evacuated the vehicles in the area. Okay - how do you do that when the vehicle is twenty yards away from a guy who's shooting at you?
    rotorhead1026 and M1911A1 like this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    There may be valid criticisms of the tactics, but so far I haven't heard any reasonable suggestions about better tactics that could have been used.

I heard one ex-police chief say that they should have evacuated the vehicles in the area. Okay - how do you do that when the vehicle is twenty yards away from a guy who's shooting at you?
    Contain and wait. Waiting is the hardest. However, massed fire when a hostage and other citizens are placed in additional danger by the weapons fire of the LEOs is not a defensible solution. While you contain and wait you can bring into play sharpshooters. Unfortunately, in this instance the adrenaline appears to have overtaken discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    Contain and wait. Waiting is the hardest. However, massed fire when a hostage and other citizens are placed in additional danger by the weapons fire of the LEOs is not a defensible solution. While you contain and wait you can bring into play sharpshooters. Unfortunately, in this instance the adrenaline appears to have overtaken discretion.
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but from the way I understand it, the BG's were shooting at police as police were trying to contain them, while bystanders were in the middle. In that situation, what can police do besides shoot back and hope for the best?
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Sponsored Links