Scribes and Gladiators

Scribes and Gladiators

This is a discussion on Scribes and Gladiators within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This came from one of those flavor of the month training things senior management had to go to. I came off the floor as a ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By manolito
  • 1 Post By 65108
  • 2 Post By ShooterGranny
  • 1 Post By 357and40

Thread: Scribes and Gladiators

Distinguished Member

Scribes and Gladiators

This came from one of those flavor of the month training things senior management had to go to. I came off the floor as a worker and when I was promoted my crew gave me this and confiscated my Gladiator card.

I think this has a place today when I look at the politicians and the Warriors Military or Local. The politicians are truly a group of Scribes that have lost their way. Upon retiring I got my Gladiator card back.

I would give credit to who ever wrote this but I have no idea.

Scribes and Gladiators

There were two kinds of men in the room, gladiators and scribes. The gladiators had just come from the arena, still covered with blood and sweat, still breathing heavily. But the scribes were cool, alert, and energetic.
    Now there were shown on a screen the pictures of what had gone on in the arena. Oddly, the discussion was limited to pictures of faulty fighting. They had a name for this selection-it was called "the exception principle."
    As these pictures were shown, the scribes would comment sagely, "That thrust was rather weak." "There you could have advanced." "That cut was not up to standard." The gladiators listened and grunted. Now and then, they would try to explain that in the arena there is not time to think of all these things, that blood is slippery, that lions have their own ideas. But it was to no avail.
    The gladiators were doomed to defeat. They were now fighting in an arena they did not understand. The weapons now were not the familiar swords and spears; the weapons were numbers, words, rhetoric. As to these weapons, the gladiators were no match for the scribes.
    The meeting broke up and each group went back to its stations. The scribes retired to the safety of the stadium seats, where they made themselves comfortable and ready to resume counting. The gladiators returned to the hot, hostile floor of the arena. They knew they had suffered defeat at the hands of the glib, clever scribes. But in their hearts, they remained convinced that no one but a gladiator understands the problems of fighting in the arena.

Respectfully,
    Bill
    357and40 and msgt/ret like this.

The best Scribes were once Gladiators themselves.
    357and40 likes this.

VIP Member
    In every organization there are a few people who know how things work - and who know how to work things. Those people are not in top management.

In the military they most often call them sargeants.

In business they are often called secretaries.
    msgt/ret and Grantspastor like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I wonder how many scribes ended up broken into little pieces by a gladiator...
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Sponsored Links