Time to buy a new used car... Wrangler?

This is a discussion on Time to buy a new used car... Wrangler? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 11-year-old daily driver that got me through grad school stripped all the teeth out of the timing belt going highway speeds on Wednesday morning. Since ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Time to buy a new used car... Wrangler?

11-year-old daily driver that got me through grad school stripped all the teeth out of the timing belt going highway speeds on Wednesday morning. Since it's an interference engine, the repair would be significantly more than the value of the car. Which I know is not the only consideration for deciding to get something different (in this case I would be going from a paid-for car to having car payments).

Currently looking at a 2005 Wrangler X that's been registered and garaged in the state its whole life. Has the AMC inline 6 motor, 6 spd manual, no mods, soft top, 81K miles, new AC compressor, no insurance claims... Any wrangler haters on here? Any of the fanboy legion?
    Home cooked always tastes better.

Fun to drive--for a short time.
    Ianthin, LeftofMars and DingBat like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Every Chrysler product I have owned or been assigned has left me standing by the road at least once. Never again.
    Ianthin, molleur, Brad426 and 1 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

VIP Member
    I've worked on all makes and models for 20 years now. I know that they all have their issues, none is perfect. I'll never own a Chrysler or Nissan product.
    molleur and DingBat like this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Chris, the best advice I could give is to buy a consumer reports used car buying guide and study it. Your public library should also have a copy of it.

I have always wanted a Jeep Wrangler...so I bought a new Rav4, instead... after reading consumer reports ratings.
    Ianthin likes this.

I had a '04 Wrangler X built for me with the 5 speed stick, 3.73 ratio, and hard top. I installed a 2" lift at 6K miles and have run 31" or 33" tires since. It has been my DD for the past 11.5 years and now has almost 170K. It has truly been an outstanding vehicle, and I strongly recommend them. As expected, I have replaced brakes, rotors, rear axle u joints, water pump, radiator as part of normal maintence. The 4.0L will run foreever if take you just basic care of it. I am still running the factory clutch.

Please PM for more discussion.
    DingBat likes this.

A jeep wrangler is a pleasure or weekend type vehicle. I for sure wouldn't want to have one as a daily driver. Take it for a spin if you want to. Make sure you get it up to highway speeds. Listen to all of the road noise and see if you can still here yourself think. They are also notorious for water leaks? Why do you think they kept it in the garage? Probably because they had to lol. Something else that you might consider is it might be hard to get something like that financed. Banks generally shy away from vehicles that are that old. In my opinion there are a lot better options for a daily driver. Wranglers are great to play around in but that's about it. What is your price range? I'll help you if I can. I have worked in the auto industry for years.

Senior Member Array highergr0und's Avatar
    I love my wrangler. 2007, 105k miles and have done nothing but routine items (tires, brakes, fluids, battery) except for a new starter about 2 years ago.

To run a Wrangler, you need to have a passion for the vehicle. It's bumpy, noisy, no frills, etc.
    Ianthin likes this.

VIP Member
    Get it fixed (no debt that way).
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Distinguished Member Array LeftofMars's Avatar
    I had a 1992 and a 2003. Both bought new with soft tops. While I liked them in both cases they were my only car and I grew weary of them in about three years both times. In both cases I traded for a full size, ie:comfortable, truck with much less wind noise and the ability to hold a conversation at 75 m.p.h. the fact that the air conditioning stayed inside with me was a big plus as well. Second vehicle great choice, only vehicle I won't do it again. YMMV
    "It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of sumbitch or another." Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

personal defense forum dot com

Smack in the middle of wealthy on one side and dirt poor on the other
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisATX View Post
    11-year-old daily driver that got me through grad school stripped all the teeth out of the timing belt going highway speeds on Wednesday morning. Since it's an interference engine, the repair would be significantly more than the value of the car. Which I know is not the only consideration for deciding to get something different (in this case I would be going from a paid-for car to having car payments).

Currently looking at a 2005 Wrangler X that's been registered and garaged in the state its whole life. Has the AMC inline 6 motor, 6 spd manual, no mods, soft top, 81K miles, new AC compressor, no insurance claims... Any wrangler haters on here? Any of the fanboy legion?
    Inline 6 garaged and only 81k... Count me in the bidding war!

As to the haters, look, the reality is Jeeps are both fun toys and glorious modern machines that get you in and out of all kinds of jams. My old 97 has been built, rebuilt, crunched, rebuilt etc... over and over. She's going on 265k miles now.

It gets me around in the snow and mess when everyone else is stuck in ditch or can't even get out of their own driveways. Heck, I even pulled out a full size pickup last year. Yes, they leak. Yes, you can't hear yourself think at highway speeds(granted mine's got the half doors so I hear helicopters all the time).

Would I buy another one...WITHOUT QUESTION OR HESITATION.

That said, OP also needs to fully realize things WILL BREAK. It will need work and/or maintenance and it's better if you are willing to learn how to fix or build things yourself. If you're willing to deal with that you have your answer. Oh and even if they run flawless they're still a money pit. You can say you wont lift it or add gadgets now, but give it 6 months of driving it and you'll be oogling parts in a 4x4 mag...
    DingBat likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I had an 86 CJ-7 for 10 years with the inline 6, 4 speed manual and hardtop. I put on an aftermarket soft top so I could run both.

It got 15 mpg, ran top speed about 65 mph, rode rougher than a ton dually P/U and was loud. (Lots of road noise.) It wasn't a very useful vehicle, but great in the city. Sits high, tight turning, can park it in a tiny spot and is great in the snow.

I hated to sell it.

Test drive it first. My Dad wanted a new 4 door Wrangler, til after he test drove one. Got that out of his system.
    Ianthin likes this.
    I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

If you have an excuse for failure, you will.

If one can keep up with an aggressive maintenance schedule, catching the things before they go wrong, staying ahead of the curve, I think the best of the Wranglers can be a good buy. Have never owned one, but admire the value combination of practicality and utility, all things considered. Just wish they'd have an engine with much better reputation, reliability and mileage. Given what's possible these days, it's a shame they don't do that. They'd knock it "out of the park" if they did. Imagine a model that regularly got 300Kmi without major engine-related maintenance while delivering 30+ mpg. Ought to be possible, these days. Had they done that, I'd have been on-board years ago, despite the mildly truck-like ride (as compared to more-comfy passenger vehicles).

what is an interference engine?

bet you won't let a car with a timing belt go 11 years without replacing again, will you? People don't get how serious that is. Timing belts were a huge boon for engine efficiency for anything with an overhead cam.... but you CANNOT blow off replacement of those belts.

That said. We have an older grand Cherokee with the same 4.0 inline 6. It's actually been a great car. all those 4.0 have noisy valve trains, so disregard that, but their notorious for failing crank sensors. and you can't buy the cheap Chinese knockoffs for some reason they won't run right. it has to be the expensive OEM crank sensor.

ANY traditional jeep is more of a lifestyle than a car.... road noise, wet, dripping, lousy doors and windows... solid axles and squirrely steering....

Sure; a brand new one with a hard top will be somewhat quiet and somewhat dry.... for awhile..... and then the felts and seals start drying up and you've got.... a noisy, wet jeep no different than one made in 1978.

they put sway bars and coil springs and whatnot on the new ones to try to make them more road friendly --- which completely defeats the purpose off being the off-road vehicle they are supposed to be.

I would be VERY hesitant to consider one as a daily driver for the next decade... unless your a died in the wool jeep maniac to begin with.... and you like off-roading and tinkering...

if you want a reliable and comfortable daily driver you don't have to worry about working on ... you're barking up the wrong tree.

(hey, at least it has a timing chain and not a belt...)
    Ianthin and Recon1342 like this.
    "If it's worth shooting once, it's worth shooting - how many times was that?"

"You cannot control the Enemy. You can control yourself. The Victory lies within."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links