Why are people from Washington State so serious all the time?

Why are people from Washington State so serious all the time?

This is a discussion on Why are people from Washington State so serious all the time? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ***I apologize in advance if you're from Washington.*** Why are people from Washington State and other parts of the west so serious all the time? ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Why are people from Washington State so serious all the time?

Senior Member Array condition1blog's Avatar

Question Why are people from Washington State so serious all the time?

***I apologize in advance if you're from Washington.***

Why are people from Washington State and other parts of the west so serious all the time? Ive never been to Washington State, but I have meet and talked to alot of people from there, and every time it seems like they're never in a joking mood or have time for small talk. Is it me or do they seem a bit weird?

VIP Member
    I'm not sure @NONAME762 would qualify as serious all the time.

I've got my own theories, but don't want to sling around a bunch of stereotypes about them thinking their stuff smells like roses and them knowing better than the rest of the country what's good for all of us. As you said, many of them are sane, level headed people, but the ones that get the publicity need to get abducted by aliens ASAP.
    Jpk0427 and Eagleks like this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

It's called the left coast for a reason. I lived/was stationed in the Seattle area for three years and I found 'em fairly laid back and easy going (for die-hard, SERIOUS liberals).
    Excellent beers, pretty good seafood, and I got my carry license after waiting a whole 4 weeks! I traveled over much of the state and they all seemed, for the most-part, like good folks. The farther inland ya get, the more conservative it got, but otherwise good-to-go.......AND a little weird too

If EVERYBODY you've met up there is 'up-tight and serious' around you, you 'may' wanna double-check how you 'may' be coming-off to them........

Personally, I've had harder issues with eastern Canadians, north-eastern Americans, and snowbirds!

They are too busy saving up buying SUV hybrids and paving nature trails, to help save the environment.

I have never been there. Furthest "west" I've been is from WV to St. Louis, MO. Not really "west" at all but that is it.

Don't know if people in Washington state are super serious or not.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Senior Moderator
    Are they mirrors?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

It's either your imagination, you are judging all Washingtonians on just a few encounters or, as a previous poster suggested, it could be you.

I find people from all parts of this country and around the world for that matter, are very hospitable. Of course you will occasionally encounter colloquial, regional or cultural behavioral proclivities.

In most cases if you treat people with respect they will respond in kind.

Those that don't, screw 'em!!!
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

We're in the process of moving there, from Denver. They are a 'little' different, but not that different. I've lived in Texas, Kansas, Rhode Island, and Florida, so I know weird! Rhode Island has their own dictionary, because without it, visitors wouldn't know what the hell they are saying. It's English..ish. And rural Florida, well, bless their hearts.

We're buying land in the NE section of Washington (Stevens County). I have really enjoyed the folks I've met from that area, so far. They aren't ideological; more practical than anything else. That has been my impression. But I live in Denver, and everything is relative in this world.

VIP Member
    Perhaps you haven't witnessed "The Yankee Marshall" in his pink bra yet!!!!

Cannibal and Darenger like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Its Seattle. All the gray skies and rain for most of the year. Then all the coffee everyone drinks. Throw the transplants in from California and you end up with over the top political correctness.

Go west or east of Seattle a ways and people are more normal
    G26Raven and Rockymonster like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    Perhaps you haven't witnessed "The Yankee Marshall" in his pink bra yet!!!!

yeah, that guy is real funny.
    Pete63 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackdaw View Post
    Its Seattle. All the gray skies and rain for most of the year. Then all the coffee everyone drinks. Throw the transplants in from California and you end up with over the top political correctness.

Go west or east of Seattle a ways and people are more normal
    gray skies? I thought the west was dry with 330 sunny days a year?

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    We're buying land in the NE section of Washington (Stevens County). I have really enjoyed the folks I've met from that area, so far. They aren't ideological; more practical than anything else. That has been my impression.
    Some of the most fun I've had up that way was in the Ione area along the Pend Oreille River. Much fun times had by me there!
    Love that neck of the woods.
    Cannibal and Rockymonster like this.

I think it is because they all drink way too much coffee.
    Rockymonster likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    We're in the process of moving there, from Denver. They are a 'little' different, but not that different. I've lived in Texas, Kansas, Rhode Island, and Florida, so I know weird! Rhode Island has their own dictionary, because without it, visitors wouldn't know what the hell they are saying. It's English..ish. And rural Florida, well, bless their hearts.

We're buying land in the NE section of Washington (Stevens County). I have really enjoyed the folks I've met from that area, so far. They aren't ideological; more practical than anything else. That has been my impression. But I live in Denver, and everything is relative in this world.
    If you run outta tonic you could always get a drink from the bubblah...
    Cannibal likes this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links