A question for our veterans?

This is a discussion on A question for our veterans? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The last few days I have been working around our county's veteran's cemetery. The area I'm working in has mostly WWII graves. I read the ...

Like Tree27Likes
  • 2 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By Candor
  • 1 Post By jumperj
  • 1 Post By dV8r
  • 1 Post By GpTom
  • 1 Post By jumperj
  • 1 Post By Truckinbutch
  • 6 Post By rcsoftexas
  • 2 Post By Truckinbutch
  • 2 Post By pscyclepath
  • 2 Post By 5lima30ret
  • 5 Post By patri0t
  • 2 Post By farsidefan1

Thread: A question for our veterans?

The last few days I have been working around our county's veteran's cemetery. The area I'm working in has mostly WWII graves. I read the headstones as I pass them and way more than half of those that died between 1940 and 1944 were born before 1900 That makes them at least 40 years old! Quite a few were in there 50's. And there were even a few in there early 60's!
    My Grandfather served in the army during WWII, he was 31 when he enlisted, and was considered quite old! So what would explain why so many older guys? Did they only send the older guys home for burial? Or was it not common for the younger guys to be buried in the veteran's cemetery? There doesn't seem to be anyone here that knows. DR

Interesting question, my father was 18 when he enlisted in 1944 not sure how old my uncles were when they enlisted.
    5lima30ret and dangerranger like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

I'm not sure but possibly it was once reserved for higher ranking officers or enlisted who would generally be older.
    dangerranger likes this.
    A fanatic is one who won't change his mind and won't change the subject - WSC

NRA Life Member

Could just be the demographics of the town you're in.. Mostly older gents joined from around there.. Maybe there weren't that many young'uns from around those parts.. Everybody joined up back then.. That's why all the women folk worked the manufacturing plants.. I wasn't born yet, so I'm just guessing..
    dangerranger likes this.

Distinguished Member Array dV8r's Avatar
    I don't know the answer but I do know that a lot of young people died in the influenza outbreak of ~ 1917 - 1919 especially in some communities.
    dangerranger likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jumperj View Post
    Could just be the demographics of the town you're in.. Mostly older gents joined from around there.. Maybe there weren't that many young'uns from around those parts.. Everybody joined up back then.. That's why all the women folk worked the manufacturing plants.. I wasn't born yet, so I'm just guessing..
    A lot of women were in the armed forces during the war as nurses and other noncombat jobs. Waves -Wacs and whatever.
    dangerranger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    A lot of women were in the armed forces during the war as nurses and other noncombat jobs. Waves -Wacs and whatever.
    I'm aware of their roll in WWII.. One of my aunts even ferried B-17s during the war.. They played a vital roll in the war effort.. But they also took over manufacturing in this country.. Guess I shouldn't have said ALL the women were in manufacturing... Was just coming up with a theory as to why that particular cemetery was mostly older men.. I stand corrected...
    dangerranger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    I don't know the answer but I do know that a lot of young people died in the influenza outbreak of ~ 1917 - 1919 especially in some communities.
    I think that there is a lot to be said for that in some demographics . The death toll was so devastating in my county that migrant workers and indigent residents were stacked in a railroad tunnel and the tunnel was blown in on this mass grave . The county could not afford to bury them properly . Seldom talked about history around here .
    dangerranger likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I have a great Uncle who was not old enough. He forged his birth certificate so he could go with his brothers.

A generation of humble. For every great story recorded there are probably five never told. We are losing a most important part of history this century. God bless them each and everyone!
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by rcsoftexas View Post
    I have a great Uncle who was not old enough. He forged his birth certificate so he could go with his brothers.

A generation of humble. For every great story recorded there are probably five never told. We are losing a most important part of history this century. God bless them each and everyone!
    Well said , Brother .
    dangerranger and rcsoftexas like this.

Veterans who died overseas in WW1 and WW2 were typically buried in-theater where they died. Very few were actually shipped home for burial. In Korea, Vietnam, and the more recent wars, it became the custom to bring the boys back home to the World for burial. The are a good number of U.S. Army cemeteries in Europe which hold the remains of those who died in North Africa and western Europe.
    dangerranger and 5lima30ret like this.

My Dad enlisted during 1944 when he was 17 years old. Ironically my cousin and I also enlisted (different branches) when we were 17 years old. Not sure why there were so many "older" Vets maybe there was a shortage of "draft age" men? As I recall for many years during Vietnam and post Vietnam you could only enlist or be drafted up to age 27, not sure what the age cutoff is now.
    dangerranger and rcsoftexas like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I'm thinking most were buried in the country they died in. Maybe only those with a family were sent home? It just seems odd, but that would explain why so many that were older were buried there. DR

Perhaps many of them were WWI vets who just happened to die during WWII or maybe some never left the service after WWI.
    Regular Army, Officers, Older Demographic or a combination of each could tip the balance.
    My F-I-L served in WWII and is still alive and quite healthy. My M-I-L was British and had her neighborhood bombed regularly by the Nazis.
    They are in their 90s now. Certainly many stories.
    I know well why the are referred to as "The Great Generation". Amazing Patriots.
    Retired Deputy- State Trooper (38 long years) 8 yrs RTO - MS Degree- Criminology
    Gun Control measures are Unconstitutional Infringements. Period.
    "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

VIP Member
    My dad was born in 1912 and he served. Lots of non teens were all in. A good number of teens joined in too. My father in law signed up when he was 17. Different time than today.
    Truckinbutch and 5lima30ret like this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Sponsored Links