Microscope, anyone know much about them?

This is a discussion on Microscope, anyone know much about them? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hi, CWO asked what I want for my BD this month and I've always wanted a microscope. Now days they have them where they can ...

Like Tree21Likes
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 5 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By atctimmy
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker
  • 1 Post By farsidefan1
  • 2 Post By gnius
  • 2 Post By Sister
  • 1 Post By oldbadger
  • 2 Post By Hodad
  • 3 Post By Sister
  • 2 Post By Hodad

Thread: Microscope, anyone know much about them?

Hi,
    CWO asked what I want for my BD this month and I've always wanted a microscope. Now days they have them where they can take pic's to put on your computer.

I think we have some science/medical folks here on DC that may be able to help? Hope so!

I want to be able to at least see cells and possibly (if not too expensive) one that can see inside cells like mitochondria and such. I like the new one's that come with a camera attached but haven't any idea how much power would be needed to see something that small and would like opinion on the scopes with the camera.

Any info appreciated, I'm going into this without knowing much about brands or power.
    Thanks y'all!
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

EPSTEIN DIDNíT KILL HIMSELF

Haven't used a microscope since my high school days but you may find some info here.

https://www.scientificsonline.com/shop/chemistry?Page=1
    Sister likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Senior Moderator
    Oh boy... how deep are your pockets?

I'm in aerospace, not medicine, but we use binocular microscopes to view small defects in machined surfaces, "beach marks" in fatigue fractures, etc. 10x-20x is plenty of magnification for these purposes. Looking at cells, you'll need at least 100x. In addition to magnification, you'll need a good light source, and these can get pricey as well.

I think the used market is where you need to look, but used scientific tools like these very rarely wind up in pawn shops. I'm not sure where I'd look first.
    Brands? Stick with names you associate with quality optics - Nikon, Olympus, Zeiss, Leica. Bausch & Lomb and American Optical are out of that field these days, but if you tripped over a used microscope with those names I'd be interested.

Things that cause microscopes to be scrapped or surplused, by my estimation, are not the optics but the mechanical parts like the rack and pinion focus and micrometer stage adjustments, light sources, and sometimes even the scope stand (the heavy base and shafting which support the scope). On top of that is the migration to digital imaging which has caused a lot of traditional scopes to be retired.

I wish I had a better idea of where to steer you for sources!
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    "chlorophyll, more like borophyll" - Billy Madison

I wish I could point you towards a good microscope but I cannot. What I can tell you is diluted by 25 years of passed time but in my recollection the brand of microscope wasn't as important as proper slide preparation. Most people who didn't get satisfactory results weren't prepping their slides correctly. I wish I could remember more for you.
    Sister likes this.
    ďIn the beginning was the word. Before all else, the word. So we speak as if words matter, because they do.Ē
    ― Dean Koontz

Sis, what's Chief gonna' do with it? There are some relatively TRICK, high-magnification, high-resolution cameras that run well thru a PC/Mac interface. It's no longer much akin to '60's-'70's high school biology class. If he's got a modern (advanced) Smart Phone, he MAY have most of the "juice" already. If he's still runnin' a flip-phone? Uhhhh, go get him a stronger set of...reading glasses!
    Sister likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Thanks y'all, here is one I found putting in Binocular as gasmitty suggested. Not familiar with the brand, did see the really high dollar one's (over 1,000). This one looked good and possibly a good price.

Do you know if a "trinocular" would be better than a binocular? I honestly don't know the difference but did like the fact I can get them on the computer so what I see can get printed.

OMAX 40X-2500X LED Digital Lab Binocular Compound Microscope with 5MP Camera

@ ghost tracker ; it's for me not him, has to do with an art project. (PS not sure why your name came out as a link to your profile page - weird )

@ msgt/ret, good site, I like those too. No eyepiece, not sure if that is better or not but I did like those.

VIP Member
    Lynne is in Japan welcoming our 13th grand child but she will be back in 2 weeks. She is a bio chemist of some repute so I'll have her check in if you haven't already pulled the trigger.
    Sister likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

I'm an MD PhD. Obviously have done a lot of work with microscopes in my life.
    The laboratory ones I've used tend to be VERY expensive (we're talking $20k for the cheapest with $200k for the fancier ones) from companies like Zeiss and Nikon.
    I am not sure I can help with selecting an inexpensive one. They don't tend to be used in the labs.
    In terms of being able to see cells you need at least 100X total magnification. In most modern microscopes that's accompanied by a 10X objective and a 10X eyepiece. A 20X or even 40X objective is better if you want to actually see any structure within the cells.
    I bet you could get something usable for $1000-2000 used off ebay that will let you play around with the kids (I'm assuming that's why you want it).
    msgt/ret and Sister like this.

farsidefan I wish I wanted to wait but he's getting it for my birthday. I'm sure she has and knows of the high-tech one's like gnius is talking about - this is a "toy" for me, I have plans on using it with some art projects and that is why I wanted to be able to get the one's that would give me a photo.
    @gnius ; thank you for all the good info. We won't be spending that kind of money on a microscope - guns, YES! Guns are different, they are a requirement and we have an account just for guns/ammo but I can't justify spending anywhere near $1,000 for something for an art project.

Leaning towards the one's on the link msgt/ret put up, my eye-site is not that great and getting tired of readers. Also, the scopes with the screen can be view by more than one and I like that.
    msgt/ret and farsidefan1 like this.

Sister likes this.
    100% of home invasions occur......in someone's home.....usually without warning.

I would suggest an Electron Microscope. They are so powerful that you might even be able to see Nancy Pelosi's brain!!!!

Don't bother looking at Wal-Mart I don't think they have them.
    msgt/ret and farsidefan1 like this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    I would suggest an Electron Microscope.
    What does the Electron have to do with it? We already voted, Trump won...

Hoganbeg, farsidefan1 and CWOUSCG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    What does the Electron have to do with it? We already voted, Trump won...

I just LOVE you southern girls!!
    CWOUSCG and Sister like this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Sponsored Links