Hurricane Irma - stormwatch - Page 8

Hurricane Irma - stormwatch

This is a discussion on Hurricane Irma - stormwatch within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We live in South West Orlando.Looked out, no rain, no wind, 6 AM. Going to go back to sleep. My Daughter, her partner, and two ...

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree517Likes

Thread: Hurricane Irma - stormwatch

Distinguished Member Array Scouse's Avatar
    We live in South West Orlando.Looked out, no rain, no wind, 6 AM. Going to go back to sleep.

My Daughter, her partner, and two dogs left Jupiter FL. On the East Coast, headed North. Now in Panama- City! Go figure. Third floor of a new Hotel. Their windows face the car park, back side to wind and water.

Taking my own advice, hitting the sheets.
    BadgerJ likes this.

Looks like the eyewall is headed for Tampa
    BadgerJ likes this.

Irma continues to track West. I live in Orlando, almost 100 miles from the center of the storm as it tracks across Clearwater and St Petersburg on the west coast.......and will will still have hurricane force winds and gusts. This is one bad ass massive storm.

My brother sold his house out west and is moving to Sarasota. I put him in a holding patter in Kansas for a few days. He thinks a hurricane is just a little rain and wind. He is such a hurricane rookie.
    '
    BadgerJ, OldVet, OldChap and 2 others like this.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

Quote Originally Posted by ManAtArms View Post
    I'm not sure what the point of that would be. Shouldn't it be obvious if something is no longer frozen or good to eat? Use your nose! When in doubt, throw it out!

If I were hunkering down in FL right now I would be in the process of cooking up as much of my frozen goods as I possibly could. If fully cooked, they will stay good for a time even without refrigeration.
    Can you tell when something has been thawed and refrozen? Can you tell how long the power was out, then came back on in your absence? Did that tip cost anyone anything? Is it bad advice?
    BadgerJ and awanatech like this.
    Psalm 144:1

The rain pelting on the storm shutters would have made me sleep like a baby if it weren't for the city's emergency notification system calling the house every couple hours. Newsflash, city--At three AM I do NOT need to know the power company website to contact for power outage reports! Tonight the phones get unplugged.

Pour me something tall and strong, make it a hurricane before I go insane...
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

flh
    Well Irma has brought us house guests, our daughter and husband live just out side of Tampa they left Thursday at 4:00pm driving on the 75 north to Atlanta it took them 24 hrs to drive to there hotel just north of Atlanta . The hotels are booked all through the area , she had to book three days at three different hotels, being that we are expecting there area to get hit very hard we told them to come home and save the money on hotels, no telling how long the the power etc will take to be repaired, or if there home will be there ,

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    Can you tell when something has been thawed and refrozen? Can you tell how long the power was out, then came back on in your absence? Did that tip cost anyone anything? Is it bad advice?
    No, it didn't cost anything. No, it isn't bad advice--but it's an answer seeking a question.

If one really bothered to storm prep with its expected power outages, one would have stocked ice in the fridge and freezers. Here's the simple answer: if the ice is a solid lump--no longer ice cubes--everything melted.

Nearly everyone has ice in the fridge, either a bag or an ice maker bin. It's not difficult to tell when one's freezer has been off long enough to thaw all the food, even if it has refrozen. Put three ice cubes in a Glad bag and see if they've melted. It costs a penny less.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array Bubblehead751's Avatar
    Prayers for the FL members.
    BadgerJ, OldChap and Okeechobee like this.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Mountaineers are Always Free!

@OldVet same problem, same answer, different solution. Another member missed the problem that freezers shut off then come back on while the home owner is away for extended time.. Food thaws,spoils, then re freezes.

We don't have weather that causes long term evacuation. Maybe a 20 year record forest fire. We're not used to the crazy stuff you southerners deal with. We just shovel out way out!

Oh, you get your penny back too.
    BadgerJ and Rock and Glock like this.
    Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    @OldVet same problem, same answer, different solution. Another member missed the problem that freezers shut off then come back on while the home owner is away for extended time.. Food thaws,spoils, then re freezes.

We don't have weather that causes long term evacuation. Maybe a 20 year record forest fire. We're not used to the crazy stuff you southerners deal with. We just shovel out way out!

Oh, you get your penny back too.
    You northerners are so dang thrifty.

Thankfully due to the hurricane's shift from the east coast to the west coast of FL, my house avoided any significant damage. I had a few pieces of my walkway soffit blow out but found them all. Trees are beat to heck but only the sole tree on the vacant lot next door was wrecked. should have the yard all cleaned up in a couple hours of work.

Power blinked through out the worst of the storm but never really went off, just kicked off the cable and internet all day and night. I haven't bothered to cruise around to see if any house sustained damage. Really dodged the bullet this time, just like Mathew last year.

Hurricane Irma - stormwatch-bush.png
    Hurricane Irma - stormwatch-soffit-2.png
    Hurricane Irma - stormwatch-tree.png
    Hurricane Irma - stormwatch-yard.png
    airslot, OldChap, BadgerJ and 4 others like this.

VIP Member
    Just dealing with the rain and a little wind for the next few hours. Street flooded between the storm drains on either side of me. Another two hours till high tide. May see the water rise a little then. Looks like we dodged another one.

Stay safe everyone.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Lots of prayers for you guys. Looks like there were some prayers answered.

The real losers were the media loons who were looking for a payday out of "The most terrible storm ever." Watched one idiot (no names please) standing out in the wind wearing a combat helmet and ballistic vest. I wanted to post a question to him about what he thought would happen if a flying two by four hit him about 3 inches south of that vest, but the wife wouldn't let me.

The boy who cried wolf...
    OldChap likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Lots of prayers for you guys. Looks like there were some prayers answered.

The real losers were the media loons who were looking for a payday out of "The most terrible storm ever." Watched one idiot (no names please) standing out in the wind wearing a combat helmet and ballistic vest. I wanted to post a question to him about what he thought would happen if a flying two by four hit him about 3 inches south of that vest, but the wife wouldn't let me.
    Sure... it's OK for the media to wear that stuff... just not the police
    Too funny. If it wasn't so sad.
    Okeechobee and OldChap like this.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Sponsored Links