Old War Bird That You Can Ride In. - Page 2

Old War Bird That You Can Ride In.

This is a discussion on Old War Bird That You Can Ride In. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by OldChap I used to see Sentimental Journey at least once a year: Attachment 213993 Here is what they looked like in late ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree362Likes

Thread: Old War Bird That You Can Ride In.

Distinguished Member Array riverrambler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I used to see Sentimental Journey at least once a year:

Attachment 213993

Here is what they looked like in late 1944-45 in formation:

Attachment 214001

And if you got unlucky:

Attachment 214009

And I reckon some are really things of beauty:

Attachment 214017

Sorry for all the pics. I love aircraft of all types, but visiting the CAF Airsho every year for a decade or more, hardly met my desire to see more of them.
    Please, don't apologize. Keep posting more. Those are the Two most beautiful aircraft ever made. And IMHO, today's F16 stands right there with them. In my late 20's, I was a pro ski patroller in the Sierras' and was both blessed and honored to share a house with a navigator in a B24 in China, and when I went to work, the mountain manager where I worked landed on Omaha Beach and went on to fight in the battle of the bulge. The stories he'd tell were more vivid then any movie. He was 19 when he landed in Normandy. I spent hours upon hours talking to both these men and the stuff they did and lived through is beyond words. I wish I had the sense to record them when they recalled their experiences. I know Ca gets a lot of flak because of politics but some of the finest men on the planet live in Northern Ca, in the sierras.
    msgt/ret, OD*, Okeechobee and 3 others like this.
    I didn't attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
    Mark Twain

I'll post a few more. I don't want to derail the thread and this is about all the ones I have online.

B24

Old War Bird That You Can Ride In.-b24.jpg

B25

Old War Bird That You Can Ride In.-b25.jpg

Bearcat

Old War Bird That You Can Ride In.-bearcat.jpg

Corsair

Old War Bird That You Can Ride In.-corsair.jpg

Stearman

Old War Bird That You Can Ride In.-stearman.jpg

And the only modern one I have online, but it was so rare I got the best photo I could: Phantom Wild Wesel
    This was taken after the Phantoms had all been retired. This one was going to Germany to fly for the Luftwaffe and had been completely rebuilt.

Old War Bird That You Can Ride In.-weasel.jpg

Thank you for the pictures. I love to see the Bearcat and Corsair fly. Hate think what it cost an hour to fly them.
    msgt/ret, OldChap and matthew03 like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Senior Member Array Petroleum 1's Avatar
    I have been an aviation buff my whole life and fly scale rc models every weekend. Growing up my neighbor next door was a B17 waist gunner. One day while shooting pool in their basement with the neighborhood kids I saw a book case loaded with war photos clearly showing my friends dad in the pics with his crew members. I was thrilled and said to myself I cant wait to ask mr so and so some questions about his B17 flying in WW2. My friend said don't you DARE ask my dad one question about those pics. He won't talk about it and will be mad at me for showing you his stuff. Funny how things stick in your head from 45yrs ago. I understood completely cuz my dad was in the army and wouldn't talk about his WW2 action either. Btw I have been on SJ several times it's a great piece of American war history.

And the sound, the SOUND! I love the sound of old aircraft.
    Funny timing on the thread as I just watched a video of the 1987 Sussex NJ Air Show.
    'Brought back some memories, for sure.

Distinguished Member Array riverrambler's Avatar
    Ditto here, thanks for the photos, love that corsair, second favorite fighter of the era.
    OldChap likes this.
    I didn't attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
    Mark Twain

For the War Bird Lovers. This base is south of me. Davis-Monthan Air Force base at Tucson, Arizona;

http://www.dhc-2.com/Monthan_Memories.html
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

In 1966 I got some air time in this R4 when I was station Meridian NAS. Later went to US ARMY in July 1971.
    Old War Bird That You Can Ride In.-17203_r4d-5_usn_10091968_1280.jpg
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

I have wanted to fly in a B-17 for years but something has always come up when the air shows are close by. I'll have to take my dad some day.

I have always been interested in the B-17 as that what my grandfather flew in during WWII. He did 27 daylight bombing missions as a tail gunner in the "Mighty Eighth" based in England. He had met his quota but wanted to stay in England since he had met my grandmother there.

This was his plane. I always thought the name was clever for an Army Air Force plane.
    Old War Bird That You Can Ride In.-mary.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    I have wanted to fly in a B-17 for years but something has always come up when the air shows are close by. I'll have to take my dad some day.

I have always been interested in the B-17 as that what my grandfather flew in during WWII. He did 27 daylight bombing missions as a tail gunner in the "Mighty Eighth" based in England. He had met his quota but wanted to stay in England since he had met my grandmother there.

This was his plane. I always thought the name was clever for an Army Air Force plane.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mary.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	214649
    The CAF Museum has an entire hall filled with pieces of planes with nose art. It is a strange sensation to wander through there. You can sense the pride and determination of a whole generation by the art painted on those planes' noses. When I was a kid, dad used to take me out to an abandoned wartime base that had been covered with hundreds of B17s, B24s, and a few B29s. They cut all those proud birds up there. We found lots of bits and pieces. It was very sad. You can see that old base on GoogleEarth. It is just west of Peyote, Texas.

Peyote, TX. Now that looks like a hopping little place.

The triangular airfield layout was popular during the rush to build WWII bases, and they can be spotted across the country on Google Maps.

Shortly before I retired ('91), SAC allowed nose art on its B-52s and KC-135s. It had to be "politically correct," which meant no sexy women, nothing too scary or profane, etc. Some of them were very good but most, to me at least, seemed mundane. The WWII nose art was truly works of art and imagination.

My dad, a Seabee on Tinian, helped build the pits used to load the atomic bombs on the Enola Gay and Bock's Car. I made it a point to visit the museum and see the Enola Gay. The only "artwork" was the name, which had been a last minute decision by Col Tibbets to name the plane after his mother. Its disappointing, artwork wise.

Old War Bird That You Can Ride In.-f4.jpg
    Photo by OV
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Some of you may know more facts about this, but I seem to remember dad telling me that they wouldn't allow nose art after a certain date in WWII. I don't really know the details, but I know the plane he crash landed in Russia only had the number "532" on the nose.

@OldVet ....Beautiful Phantom. I used to love getting my ears assaulted by them on the ramp. I think the modern sound prizewinner was the F-104. That thing howled (best description I know) at a certain throttle setting. It was absolutely wonderful, and probably why I don't hear so well anymore.

Name:  F104.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  14.9 KB

Well I ignore my all time favorite: the B-36 in one of the great aviation movies of all time, "Strategic Air Command".

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Some ohttps://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=6316417f you may know more facts about this, but I seem to remember dad telling me that they wouldn't allow nose art after a certain date in WWII. I don't really know the details, but I know the plane he crash landed in Russia only had the number "532" on the nose.
    Name:  F104.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  14.9 KB

When I was at Eglin you always knew when a F-104 was in the pattern long before you saw it.

bmcgilvray and Okeechobee like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Friend I shoot with, flew F4D's out of Udorn Air Force Base. Had to leave his office once. Was on the ground less then a hour.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

msg/ret....Ahhhhh...love that sound. One of my favorite funny memories happened back when I was still in high school at an airshow at MAF to celebrate the completion of a new terminal building. They had an F-104 put on a demonstration show. We later learned the pilot misjudged where the speed of sound was and nudged the '104 a little bit more than he should have. We realized what was going to happen watching him make the pass at about 500 feet AGL. He broke every window on the field. Were I him, I would have just kept on going.

I just realized I can't do a mention of your screen name because of the /

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links