Jimmy Kimmel - Page 8

Jimmy Kimmel

This is a discussion on Jimmy Kimmel within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by paaiyan That is an assertion that I simply cannot agree with......... If you - @ OldChap , @ mjbeam , and everyone ...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree340Likes

Thread: Jimmy Kimmel

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    That is an assertion that I simply cannot agree with......... If you - @OldChap , @mjbeam , and everyone else out there - can't honestly think about a teenager suffering from bi-polar disorder, or schizophrenia, or major depression and imagine that in the second scenario above they might have just a sliver more of a fighting chance at a normal life than the first then, in my opinion anyway, you either don't understand the magnitude of the effects mental illnesses can have on a person's life and that you can't "just deal with" them, or you simply have no empathy.

And I want to be clear again: I am not arguing for mandatory mental health screenings for anything.
    We're not talking about teenagers, or psychiatric patients, or well meaning midlle class families....we're talking about a man who shot 550+ people. Frankly I'm not worried about whatever stigma he might carry around IF he was mentally ill to begin with. HE IS DEAD.

Given your statement above, tell us how you would have convinced/ordered him to come to your office for a mental health check.

One thing is certain. I'm wasting far to much time on this. Good night.
    PhaedrusIV and OD* like this.

Kimmel is on the long list of people who only get as much time on my tv as it takes between hitting the up and down arrows to see whats on that channel, and move on to the next one.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    We're not talking about teenagers, or psychiatric patients, or well meaning midlle class families....we're talking about a man who shot 550+ people. Frankly I'm not worried about whatever stigma he might carry around IF he was mentally ill to begin with. HE IS DEAD.

Given your statement above, tell us how you would have convinced/ordered him to come to your office for a mental health check.
    Again I must repeat myself. I have no idea how this one, particular, individual situation might have been affected.

I couldn't have ordered someone to have a mental health check. I am talking about a serious shift on both systematic and personal levels in the way mental health is viewed and treated. I am saying that if you reduce the stigma, encourage people suffering to seek help, and create ways they can legitimately seek and receive help, you can make a difference in the outcome of lives. And yes, I am saying that you could potentially prevent a mass shooting.

And again, in this particular situation we may not be, but when you talk about incidents of mass violence of any kind, you often are talking about teenagers and well-meaning middle-class families. Think Columbine. You are talking about kids from average families dealing with un-diagnosed mental illness that they couldn't understand and didn't know to do anything about. I AM saying that there's a chance, no one knows how big or small, that if those kids and their parents had more knowledge of mental illness and more options available to them, that massacre might well have been avoided. Maybe, maybe not. But if its a 1 in 100 chance and we can prevent 1 out of every 100 incidents of mass violence, is that not worth it? It doesn't require taking any of your freedoms. It doesn't require your money. It asks next to nothing of you. It simply asks compassion and a willingness to talk about things that have been shunned for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    One thing is certain. I'm wasting far to much time on this. Good night.
    I'm not holding you hostage here. But if you think that mental health is a waste of time I can't help but question if you have a heart at all.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Nothing, everything, who knows? As I said earlier it was brought up by someone else and the conversation continues, so I participate and provide my views and my support for them. If you prefer not to participate in a conversation on the topic of mental health that's your prerogative. However, if I may be so bold: if you do prefer not to participate or to be called out by name, perhaps in the future you should avoid making jabs at people who have done nothing but advocate for an issue that sorely needs attention and which has a measurable effect on the topic at hand, albeit not necessarily this specific example. If you can't say something nice, and all that.
    It seems to me like a mental health forum might be a better place to discuss mental health issues, but what do I know? I'm reading this thread because of Kimmel's anti-gun lip quivering. Bad people do bad things. Always have, always will. We can't prevent it by taking all the sharp pointy things away from everyone. One thing we can be sure of though, with all of the attention this guy got, someone is going to try and break his record.

Quote Originally Posted by mjbeam View Post
    It seems to me like a mental health forum might be a better place to discuss mental health issues, but what do I know? I'm reading this thread because of Kimmel's anti-gun lip quivering. Bad people do bad things. Always have, always will. We can't prevent it by taking all the sharp pointy things away from everyone. One thing we can be sure of though, with all of the attention this guy got, someone is going to try and break his record.
    People on mental health forums already talk about it, and the conversation is happening here. I didn't start it. It's an issue that has the potential to affect every single one of us.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Well, my .02 is that I used to be married to a P HD in Psychology and is a practicing psychologist and I know ALL I want to know about mental health.
    OD* likes this.

Letís steer this thread back to the original subject, Jimmy Kimmel.
    Okeechobee and OD* like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Good, I don't like Jimmy Kimmel.
    msgt/ret, OD* and johndp1911 like this.

How bout this. Watching Jimmy Kimmel cry baby about how the founding principles of this nation are evil could be bad for your mental health.
    msgt/ret, halem1 and Okeechobee like this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

I have no problem with Kimmel speaking his mind, any more than I have a problem with Ted Nugent speaking HIS mind.
    People are entitled to have opinions and beliefs and to share share their opinions and beliefs. They may even try to get other people to think the same way.
    As far as I know however, there is no requirement for me to adopt those same opinions and beliefs.

Hooray for freedom!
    Mike1956 and msgt/ret like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robbnj View Post
    I have no problem with Kimmel speaking his mind, any more than I have a problem with Ted Nugent speaking HIS mind.
    People are entitled to have opinions and beliefs and to share share their opinions and beliefs. They may even try to get other people to think the same way.
    As far as I know however, there is no requirement for me to adopt those same opinions and beliefs.

Hooray for freedom!
    All true. Besides, the TV remote solves most, if not all of any potential problems.
    msgt/ret and CWOUSCG like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

One thing for sure, Kimmel and his ilk will be beating their drum loud for days to come. These are interesting times we live in for sure!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by halem1 View Post
    One thing for sure, Kimmel and his ilk will be beating their drum loud for days to come. These are interesting times we live in for sure!
    They beat their drums, we exercise our 2A rights. Works for me...
    halem1 and OD* like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

There's not a hell of a lot of point in insulting each other over mental health issues when we don't even know if the guy had mental health issues. Sometimes people are just evil for evils sake and what he did or didn't have makes little difference to the people who are being buried in the next few days, including him.
    OldChap, halem1, Mike1956 and 3 others like this.

VIP Member
    This is a little long (warning, language a little rough) BUT he breaks down point by point/debunks Kimmel's diatribe from last night. Steven Crowder, by the way.
    halem1 and Dave909 like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Sponsored Links