Airbus 380 Crosswind Landing/Wow

This is a discussion on Airbus 380 Crosswind Landing/Wow within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know some of you guys fly and many have worked on aircraft. I can not imagine how the tires and gear held up so ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Airbus 380 Crosswind Landing/Wow

I know some of you guys fly and many have worked on aircraft. I can not imagine how the tires and gear held up so well on this aircraft.
    I do know one thing, the pucker factor could not get much higher. There is a reason for seat belts and a reason for brand new seat upholstery after landings like these.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/462557...s-winds-video/
    Last edited by Okeechobee; October 6th, 2017 at 01:58 PM.
    CG11, OldChap, Sister and 1 others like this.

Great video. The landing was hairy, but both the pilot and the plane did exactly what they were supposed to do and it came out fine. That's why big plane pilots make the big bucks. If you want pucker factor, try landing on an aircraft carrier on a coal black night with deck that is pitching and yawing 20 feet or more. As we used to say after that, "I had to slide off the seat sideways to break the suction."
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Great video. The landing was hairy, but both the pilot and the plane did exactly what they were supposed to do and it came out fine. That's why big plane pilots make the big bucks. If you want pucker factor, try landing on an aircraft carrier on a coal black night with deck that is pitching and yawing 20 feet or more. As we used to say after that, "I had to slide off the seat sideways to break the suction."
    I have been in a few hairy landings but could not imagine at a fast approach speed, at night, on a tiny pitching and rolling deck. And there is NO Alternate.

Yep, I think the pilot did a great job of controlling that aircraft in the vid and the aircraft did its job well.
    OldChap, Sister and msgt/ret like this.

In my early 20's I was in a flying club organized by my cousin near Jerseyville, IL. Our club owned a Cessna 152. Our flight instructor was the foreman of an apple orchard. He had been a Marine aviator and flight instructor in WWII. He let us keep the 152 in a barn on the property. We would taxi down a dirt road on the property and then use a grass strip between rows of apple trees as our runway.

One time I was landing there and caught a hard crosswind just before I touched down. It blew me to the left and I caught a wingtip on an apple tree after not much rollout. That swung me into a row of trees. The prop made some applesauce and deposited all over the windscreen! Fortunately, all that was damaged was the fiberglass tip of the wing. The instructor had his A&P rating and was able to order the part and fix it pretty quickly and not too expensively.
    Sister, OldChap and msgt/ret like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    I remember hearing about a study during the Vietnam War where monitors were put on fighter pilots to monitor the stress levels during dogfights. As expected, they saw several minutes of low stress and then when the dogfight started they saw huge spike. When the fight ended, the stress levels dropped. But what really surprised them was that it spiked again to the same level of the dogfight when it was time to land on the carrier. So landing on a carrier was just as stressful as a dogfight over enemy territory. I have a great deal of respect for anyone that can land anything on a carrier.
    Okeechobee likes this.
    Has anyone tried turning the country off and then back on again?

I would probably not have liked that E-ticket ride. I've had a couple of . . . interesting landings Ontario, California, in the Santa Ana winds in years past; it is not something you want to do on purpose.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

In my early 20's I was in a flying club organized by my cousin near Jerseyville, IL. Our club owned a Cessna 152. Our flight instructor was the foreman of an apple orchard. He had been a Marine aviator and flight instructor in WWII. He let us keep the 152 in a barn on the property. We would taxi down a dirt road on the property and then use a grass strip between rows of apple trees as our runway.

One time I was landing there and caught a hard crosswind just before I touched down. It blew me to the left and I caught a wingtip on an apple tree after not much rollout. That swung me into a row of trees. The prop made some applesauce and deposited all over the windscreen! Fortunately, all that was damaged was the fiberglass tip of the wing. The instructor had his A&P rating and was able to order the part and fix it pretty quickly and not too expensively.
    That sounds like some of my exploits in my younger days. I was raised in the flat country of S Fla and had a heap of fun in a Super Cub landing in palmettos, roads and wet places most would not think about.
    When I was maybe 18 or so and had a few hundred hours in the logbook a ranch foreman and I decided we were going fishing over at a neighbors ranch to the east. The manager of the other ranch and I were friends and he always extended an invite to fish his reservoir. My friend and I decided to fly over there one evening and give it a try so we stuck the rods in the back and they were sticking out the window and door just above the strut.

There was a dam probably 700 ft long on the north side about 8 ft wide at the top and I knew it would not be a problem with no wind so I gave it a look and eased that Cub down onto the dam pretty as you pleased and stayed on the rudder and brakes till stopped. Well, ole cocky and dumb me saw the 6 strand barbed wire fence straight ahead maybe 200 ft but NEVER took it in consideration that I could not turn around and go out the way we came!!!!

Ole "Pardner" just started fishing and told me not to worry about it, we would do something. I just could not fish till I knew we could get out without having to walk out of there and tell the manager friend of mine that we needed to tear down his fence for a few minutes in order for us to get out. "Pardner" told me to stand next to the door and hold the R brake and he picked up the fuselage by the lift handle and walked the tail down the bank into the water and then back out and we were headed in the direction we came from and had plenty of room to get out. I then was able to fish and we caught a few good bass.

I learned a lot and unfortunately did more stupid stuff, but I had fun.
    OldChap, msgt/ret and airslot like this.

All well and good....BUT, crosswind landings do not have to be so dramatic. I offer proof:

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    All well and good....BUT, crosswind landings do not have to be so dramatic. I offer proof:

Huh, just for kicks I looked up the gross weight of a B-52H vs an A380. The B-52H has a max takeoff weight of 244 tons. The A380 can weigh in at up to 575 tons. That's a big airplane.
    Sister likes this.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post

We used to have crosswind gear on the C-5 but it was only 20 degrees left or right, it was a weird sensation taxiing down the runway going sideways. The landing the OP posted on a scale of 1-10 that would rate a pucker factor of 15. The very firm touchdown combined with a wet runway did not help.
    Sister, OldChap and Okeechobee like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Prolly Texting and not paying attention.
    Brad426, sdprof, OldChap and 1 others like this.
    Trust God, He is in control.

UDC member

EPSTEIN DIDNíT KILL HIMSELF

flh
    "There are no atheists in foxholes ", and I bet a few people found god during this landing..
    OldChap, msgt/ret, Sister and 1 others like this.

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Prolly Texting and not paying attention.
    Now THAT was a good un Susta.
    OldChap and Sister like this.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Huh, just for kicks I looked up the gross weight of a B-52H vs an A380. The B-52H has a max takeoff weight of 244 tons. The A380 can weigh in at up to 575 tons. That's a big airplane.
    It isn't the weight that makes the difference. Look up how the landing gear on the B-52 work.

That looks like a typical summer afternoon landing in Reno, Nevada. With the Sierra Nevada mountains on the west and high desert on the east, the alluvial fan gets going with heat rising on the east and cool air flowing down from the mountains on the west. I have seen 100+ MPH winds there.
    msgt/ret and airslot like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links