Would this be a turn off, or would you go back???

This is a discussion on Would this be a turn off, or would you go back??? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hey guys, this has been an interesting week to say the least. A couple privately owned stores I normally buy my guns and knives from ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Would this be a turn off, or would you go back???

Distinguished Member Array AmmoFan01's Avatar

Hey guys, this has been an interesting week to say the least. A couple privately owned stores I normally buy my guns and knives from have left me with mixed feelings about continuing to do business with them. My wife and I visited one store yesterday before work to buy a knife. I was looking to spend between 100-200 dollars on one, but I prefer not to buy display models since it has potentially been handled numerous times by other customers. When I spotted one I liked, I would ask the employee to see if they had an extra in stock. We went through several knives before I was finally ready to settle with one of their lower cost models (102$ Griptilian). I asked the employee to see if they had an extra, he then turned to the owners son and asked if they had extras. He told the employee not to bother the extra knives. Needless to say, I left empty handed.
    Today, I went to another store about an hour away and bought a new Spyderco Paramilitary 3. Well, when I got home, my Paramilitary 3 turned out to be a Native 5 in a Para 3 box. I contacted the store and they unsurprisingly said the Para 3 box was sold with another knife and I could return the knife for a refund or swap it for a different knife. I told him I lived an hour away, and he replied, you donít have to bring it back today, stop in next time you come this way.
    Iím interested in hearing your thoughts about this.
    grouse and CG11 like this.

The second store sounds like they made a mistake and are willing to make it right. You should have spoken up at the first store and let them know it was important to you.
    sgb, matthew03, OldChap and 1 others like this.
    "Now go ahead and say something stupid!"

Be polite, be professional but have a plan to kill everyone that you meet. General James "Mad Dog" Mattis USMC

A .380 in your pocket is better than a 45 in your truck.

This is why you check your merchandise just as check your order at the drive thru.
    Make sure you get for what you paid.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Distinguished Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    Taco Johns still owes me some mexi fries. I was too busy texting and driving to check the bag for all of my items.
    2nd_is_1st and Rdiorio25 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    The second store sounds like they made a mistake and are willing to make it right. You should have spoken up at the first store and let them know it was important to you.
    I have shopped there several times before and they didnít react that way. In fact the owners son waited on me and didnít seem to have a problem with it until yesterday.

Mistakes happen. If someone is willing to do what they can to make it right I wonít sweat it. That would actually make me more likely to go back to them in the future just because I know they care about doing whatís right.
    OldChap and AmmoFan01 like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by sammeow View Post
    This is why you check your merchandise just as check your order at the drive thru.
    Make sure you get for what you paid.
    I thought I did, but the knives look somewhat similar at a glance. I didnít realize what it was until I looked at the para3 booklet in the box.

flh
    Quote Originally Posted by AmmoFan01 View Post
    I have shopped there several times before and they didnít react that way. In fact the owners son waited on me and didnít seem to have a problem with it until yesterday.
    Everyone has a bad day I would give them one more try , if you get the same treatment , find another GS ...
    OldChap and AmmoFan01 like this.

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by AmmoFan01 View Post
    I'd give them another try but I wouldn't take no crap either. I'm picky where I spend my money. I don't expect to get my ass kissed but I expect to be treated good and with respect.
    "Now go ahead and say something stupid!"

Be polite, be professional but have a plan to kill everyone that you meet. General James "Mad Dog" Mattis USMC

A .380 in your pocket is better than a 45 in your truck.

Should asked what kind of discount does the display model have. Is getting a NIB knife from stock worth the extra 10-15% to them?
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Should asked what kind of discount does the display model have. Is getting a NIB knife from stock worth the extra 10-15% to them?
    I agree 100%, they should keep a record of how long the knives and guns are on display, then sell them at discount prices after so long. They wonít budge on their new items prices unless you are spending a large amount with them that day. I went in the same store last year and was interested in a Glock 17. When I asked if they had a different one other than the model on display, the owner and his son told me a story about a brand new Glock coming in from the factory with a broken sight, implying that new guns can have issues too.

Businesses are usually somewhat flexible when approached respectfully and firmly. I have had no difficulty in getting non-display items, and often negotiating a bit on the price. It can be surprising what they are willing to do when it means sale/no sale, but you should remain respectful regardless; if not this time, you may be remembered the next time as a customer who will not compromise.

Senior Member Array ShotPlacement's Avatar
    1st situation- ridiculous customer service.

2nd situation- PITA, but resolvable. You might even ask them to split shipping with you if you want to return by mail.

Such a mistake wouldn't happen with me because when I buy a knife I'm like a kid, and that thing would go right into my pocket.
    Rdiorio25 likes this.
    Doug

NRA Life Member - 2nd Amendment Foundation member- Gun Owners of America Member

Don't be the internet goof that types things you wouldn't have the courage to say to someone's face.

Distinguished Member Array riverrambler's Avatar
    I guess my brain is running slow right now. I don't get the first situation. You mean it was too much effort for them to get another knife out for you?
    I didn't attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by riverrambler View Post
    I guess my brain is running slow right now. I don't get the first situation. You mean it was too much effort for them to get another knife out for you?
    I really didnít know the reasoning behind it. I have tried to figure it out myself. In their minds it may be more trouble than itís worth regardless of the customers preference. Or they may prefer selling the displays first so they can rotate it out and replace it with a fresh knife before it becomes too worn.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links