Opportunity for new urban shooting ranges: malls that are closing?

This is a discussion on Opportunity for new urban shooting ranges: malls that are closing? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; With 25% of shopping malls projected to close due to online shopping, is that an opportunity for new gun ranges to open in cities around ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Opportunity for new urban shooting ranges: malls that are closing?

With 25% of shopping malls projected to close due to online shopping, is that an opportunity for new gun ranges to open in cities around the country?

Is there a sustainable market for new indoor shooting ranges in high population areas?

Would the infrastructure of an existing mall be a good starting point to install an indoor shooting complex?

I could foresee a mall being turned into an entertainment complex... movie theaters, Dave and Busters type gaming restaurants, escape rooms, ropes courses, and a place to rent guns and shoot.

Wall Street Expert Predicts 25% Of Malls Will Close By 2020 | Markets Insider
    Risasi likes this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Senior Moderator
    That’s a hell of an idea!

A lot of “lesser” malls are already hemorrhaging profusely, let alone in the next 3-5 years.
    airslot and OD* like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

They're building commercial office/retail developments around me like crazy, and they've never come close to filling the old new ones. I think it would take some major cash to convert the old malls, and I don't think that kind of money is available considering the current atmosphere.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Moderator
    You'd need to stay away from the publicly owned malls too - Simon, etc.

Top Mall Owners

Like @OldVet notes, you'd need some serious cash.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    With 25% of shopping malls projected to close due to online shopping, is that an opportunity for new gun ranges to open in cities around the country?

Is there a sustainable market for new indoor shooting ranges in high population areas?

Would the infrastructure of an existing mall be a good starting point to install an indoor shooting complex?

I could foresee a mall being turned into an entertainment complex... movie theaters, Dave and Busters type gaming restaurants, escape rooms, ropes courses, and a place to rent guns and shoot.

Wall Street Expert Predicts 25% Of Malls Will Close By 2020 | Markets Insider
    I like the idea, but since most big cities are run by liberals I don't see it happening.
    graydude and OD* like this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

The West Edmonton Mall in Canada has an indoor shooting range attached to a gun store.
    The store probably does little business but the range is an attraction.
    VERY expensive...Range $25,gun rental a lot,ammo $40 for 50 rounds???
    When you rent a gun,a SO takes it to the range and then gives it to you.
    He then stands behind you the whole time.
    graydude and Rock and Glock like this.
    " Keep Packin' On The Bimah"

U.S.A.F. 1966-1971 1821-H O-3

N.R.A. Certified RSO

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    After seeing the lead contamination clean up bills for some of the armories in this state; I wouldn't want the liability of contaminating a whole mall with an indoor shooting range.

There would be some challenges for sure. Just trying to think up ways we can encourage more shooters to join our ranks, and cities are the key to maintaining an effective voting group for the long term. As cities expand and outdoor ranges become harder to access, we need to get more ranges within reasonable travel time for city dwellers, or they will grow further disconnected from firearms (well, the law abiding ones will).
    Rock and Glock and airslot like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

More likely is tear down of the mall to be replaced by high density housing ideally suited to progressive urban hipsters.
    Enjoying my daily viewing of the "love has no labels" SJW clickbait on DC.com.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

When shopping at Walmart, remember that even serial killers need to buy toilet paper.

Senior Member Array Illusive Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I like the idea, but since most big cities are run by liberals I don't see it happening.
    100% this. Around here (Central Illinois), you could NEVER get the necessary permits to do such.
    OD* and Rock and Glock like this.
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Local gun store opened an indoor range next to its retail store. While you eyeball all the guns, you hear a muffled pop, pop, pop from next door.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    We recently had a Point Blank shooting range open in a very high density, highly liberal area. The big challenge I see is the whole stigma of guns/malls/kids, regardless of the reality of what's happening to malls.

Locally a Sears at one mall is about to be converted to a Top Golf, a bar meets driving range type place. Other malls are converting to condos and office space. I don't have a problem with them closing altogether honestly.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

VIP Member
    Might be a possibility; certainly no shortage of available real estate to look at for something like this. The issue would probably be surrounding residential areas with their perceptions of a gun range. Around here, gun ranges are in the areas of lower class industrials, usually, dirty, unappealing, and with streets filled with commercial trucks of advanced age, etc.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

An academy that I went to years ago used a closed mall for force on force and active shooter training. Clearing a mall is a real ...

Getting zoning ordinances and the legal rigamorole could be cost prohibitive. It would be good use of space though. OOhh, how about a huge laser tag arena?! You could divide into sections like Western, jungle, sci-fi, etc and have laser equipment be period appropriate.
    airslot likes this.
    Me: "..and that brings us back to the age old question, how much ammo should you carry or how much is enough, doesn't it? Lol "
    AzQkr: "
    The age old questions answer is carry more, not less. For if more isn't enough, less surely won't be. lol"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links