To the arctic circle and back in July - Page 10

To the arctic circle and back in July

This is a discussion on To the arctic circle and back in July within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Late to the party, but better late than never. Sounds like a fantastic trip. Best of luck and have fun. A few comments. I saw ...

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree842Likes

Thread: To the arctic circle and back in July

Late to the party, but better late than never. Sounds like a fantastic trip. Best of luck and have fun. A few comments.

I saw the comment about not needing a light on your trip because the sun is up for much of the day. The light and especially the headlight, will be useful for digging things out of the bottom of your dry bags and saddlebags, even if it's light out.

In addition to the JB weld, I'd also suggest The Last Glue (a super superglue that does not dry out) and some Filler too. It's great for many kinds of repairs.

I suggest that you carry some fuel line connectors specific to your bike. If you have to remove your gas tank for any repair, there's a good chance that the old connectors will disintegrate. They're usually perfectly OK for decades if left alone, but once you disturb them, they don't take well to it. If you have to get that deep into the bike for a repair, just replace them, even if the old ones look OK. They're fairly cheap (and light).

I didn't see anything about any of you carrying a stove or food. You might find, especially if you have some sort of delay, that you don't get to town for a meal. I'd suggest that you include several power bars along with one of the many camp stoves that are available, and some dehydrated food. Mountain House makes an excellent Chicken Teriyaki with rice and Beef Stroganoff with Noodles. Almost good enough to eat at home. Just boil water, dump it into the pouch of food, wait a few minutes, and eat. Don't forget your spork!

I see that you're planning on using one of your dry sacks with clothes in it as a pillow. I'm a real wussy about sleeping and find that the better I sleep, the better the rest of my trip goes. I've never liked using a dry sack as a pillow since it doesn’t breath and slides around a lot. I use an inflatable pillow from Sea to Summit, their Aeros, ultralight. But if you're one of those lucky people who can sleep anywhere, in any conditions, never mind.

I'm a believer in modern fabrics top and bottom. Instead of cotton T shirts, I'd suggest a wicking fabric from Underarmor. Ditto for the dungarees. I'm sure that you're aware of the saying, "Cotton kills."

Spare batteries for your HI flashlight and headlight? LokSaks instead of baggies for your phone and MP3. They're heavier duty and more reliable. Make sure that your TP stays dry! You might think about supplementing it with baby wipes in singles packs or the 15-20 flat packs they now come in.

THRILLED that you're a rider who believes in continuing education ‒ the Ride to Live course and the one on one with the off road instructor!

Any heated clothing? Makes riding in the cold much more comfortable than layering up. Just turn the dial instead of adding or removing a layer.

Congrats on the 'new to you' bike. I'm in the process of upgrading my RT to the latest version in the next couple of days.
    AzQkr likes this.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention - BMW makes two kinds of hand protectors. One is just a plastic cover that offers protection mostly from the wind. The other is the same (or similar on some models) plastic cover, but has a metal bar on the inside of the plastic that gives protection from trees, bushes, etc. and also will hold up in a tip over or moderate crash. I hope that your bike has the latter. A touch more weight, but much more protection.

Senior Moderator
    Touch basis here before you leave, Brownie.
    AzQkr, airslot, gasmitty and 1 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Touch basis here before you leave, Brownie.
    Will do sir. head out in 19 days. One more trip to the mechanic for power outlet from batt to charge mp3, phone and go pro batts in the Touratech handlebar bag while riding. Mp3 can play all day and still be fully charged, phone the same and I have a cord that runs from a frame mounted power outlet at my left leg over my shoulder and keeps the wifi helmet charged as well. I may take a break from the music and just take the Sena off it's mount on the helmet and throw it on the bag on charge for a few hours, do that while stopped for an hour for food and it will not run down either. The Sena is good for 11 hours of run time playing music, if I keep it charged for an hour every time I stop for a break/food/gas, it will stay charged up. I need it that way because we're also communicating between helmets with each other while riding. My Sena can play music and when one talks, the music is cut off, and auto resets after a 6-7 second lull once the conversation ends.

The mechanic discovered I need a clutch cut off switch replaced so I an start the bike in gear with the side stand up. It's a 3 minute job and a couple of bucks. I'm having him circumvent the stand cut off as well, for it if craps out, it has to be cut and splice and I just don't want to mess with the potential of that in the middle of nowhere.

Other than those two things this Tuesday am, the bike is running very smooth, fully tuned and tweaked for the trip. First day is 550 miles, second 500 and 3rd into Montana will be 300 or so, getting me in to the campground early enough to set up camp, take all the gear off the bike and run into town for dinner, then wait on the boys coming in the next morning. After we leave for Canada, NW territories and the Yukon our normal ride days are anywhere from 300-450 a day with a few just 250 miles so we can stop in places like Dawson and Tok to set up and go explore the area on the bikes for a few hours before dinner and back to camp.

Decided when I get back, I'll have these ordered in and get them on the bike instead of hard bags. Already in the planning stages for an adventure tour of S. America with a group of others on the GS's. These bags will be the way to go in serious off road travel.

https://lonerider-motorcycle.com/products/motobags

Check out this vid of them throwing a bike with the bags on off a truck at something like 40mph

OD*, BBMike, PhaedrusIV and 3 others like this.

Like the training course I did this summer in Hawthorne, Ca. this summer, but on steroids

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=99f_1354395061
    airslot and Pete63 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Decided when I get back, I'll have these ordered in and get them on the bike instead of hard bags. Already in the planning stages for an adventure tour of S. America with a group of others on the GS's. These bags will be the way to go in serious off road travel.

Check out this vid of them throwing a bike with the bags on off a truck at something like 40mph

Those are absolutely BRILLIANT, Brownie !
    AzQkr likes this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

flh
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post

Are you familiar with "Glen Heggstad" https://striking-viking.smugmug.com/

I watched a documentary on the NG channel some time back , A JOURNEY INTO THE LANDSCAPE OF HUMANITY - A National Geographic Channel Story about some excitement he had while riding in S.A. ....
    AzQkr likes this.

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

I hadn't, will check it out thanks

Have a great time. Just spent 2 weeks in Alaska and wish I had driven just to be able to have seen the landscape more.
    AzQkr likes this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

I have a friend that is an AVID biker. I talked to him yesterday and told of your Alaska trip coming up..... His first comment was.....TAKE LOTS OF BUG REPELLENT! He made the same trip a couple of years ago and has spent a lot of time in Alaska. He said nothing of spare parts or clothing..... just..... lots of bug spray.

In November 2016 he started a trip from Mesa Az. to South America going on all back roads/if there is such a thing, to the tip of a Argentina at Tierra Del Fuego, Ushuia. He parked at the end of the road and walked another quarter mile south.

He went to Santiago Chile on the way down and left his bike for for a few months and then completed the trip south and came back up the coast of Argentina to Buenos Aires and shipped the bike back to Arizona from there.

He Was on face book all the way and it was a real SAGA!

When you return from your trip I will get you in touch with my friend if you would like.

Doc
    OD* likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hotShot View Post
    I have a friend that is an AVID biker. I talked to him yesterday and told of your Alaska trip coming up..... His first comment was.....TAKE LOTS OF BUG REPELLENT! He made the same trip a couple of years ago and has spent a lot of time in Alaska. He said nothing of spare parts or clothing..... just..... lots of bug spray.

In November 2016 he started a trip from Mesa Az. to South America going on all back roads/if there is such a thing, to the tip of a Argentina at Tierra Del Fuego, Ushuia. He parked at the end of the road and walked another quarter mile south.

He went to Santiago Chile on the way down and left his bike for for a few months and then completed the trip south and came back up the coast of Argentina to Buenos Aires and shipped the bike back to Arizona from there.

He Was on face book all the way and it was a real SAGA!

When you return from your trip I will get you in touch with my friend if you would like.

Doc
    I have 3 types of bug juice. Deet/40%; Picaridin lotion x2; and two wrist bands with some sort of repellent that have been reported to work in the jungles of Belize. I plan on wearing the ankle and wrist bracelets once into the NWT/Yukon until I return to the U.S. I also have a ranger hat and net for when we stop for pilot vehicles on the roads up there as the mossies are so thick they appear to be a black cloud covering you.

Do get him in touch with me as I'm thinking of doing a Chile/Peru/Venezuala trip next year [ guided through 3 countries for 3 months and only 10 bikes allowed to go ]. Maybe he'd like to do his trip again and have a partner next time.
    OD* and Pete63 like this.

Bike's packed, ready to take off in 3 and a wake up.

I have NO idea why the forum attachments come out sideways when the pics on the phone and on my computer show them correctly. Would be nice if they'd get this place straightened out and back to normal with attachments

Now they aren't even showing up on their server. Come on admin, get this place back to some semblance of useability
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails To the arctic circle and back in July-20180709_185404.jpg  

To the arctic circle and back in July-20180709_185417.jpg  

Travel safe and have a grand adventure.
    PhaedrusIV and AzQkr like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

VIP Member
    Bon Voyage, Brownie ! Ride safe.
    AzQkr and airslot like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links