Leaving for Alaska on Monday - Page 2

Leaving for Alaska on Monday

This is a discussion on Leaving for Alaska on Monday within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Safe travels Rhinoman, I'm not bothering with taking a firearm into/through Canada on my trip north in July either. I'm not that concerned about it, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Leaving for Alaska on Monday

Safe travels Rhinoman,

I'm not bothering with taking a firearm into/through Canada on my trip north in July either. I'm not that concerned about it, just enjoy yourself and stay sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
    Howdy!

We are in West Yellowstone now and headed to Alaska. Planning on crossing the Canadian border late May from Montana area. I was going to ship a couple of handguns to Tok, AK and pick them up there. Contacted the connection in Tok and he advised things had changed so I guess I will leave mine behind in Montana. Se’ya down the road.

“Happy Trails “
    Chiefneon
    I plan on stopping in North Yellowstone for four or five days on my way up. I was going to go up to Glacier NP and drive the "Going to the Sun" road, but I understand that it may be awhile before it opens due to excessive snow this year.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Have a safe trip.
    Rhinoman likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

I'm a little irritated at the whole situation. I have a Super Redhawk 454 that would be a great sidearm for hiking and it's too much of a hassle to take it with me. Pepper Spray is illegal in Canada, but Bear Spray is not. You can't use Bear Spray on people because the label on the can says not to.
    strider43 and OD* like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoman View Post
    You can't use Bear Spray on people because the label on the can says not to.
    Would you really let a label on a can prevent you from defending yourself? If so, then gun-free zone signs would be 100% effective.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I'm a little irritated at the whole situation. I have a Super Redhawk 454 that would be a great sidearm for hiking and it's too much of a hassle to take it with me. Pepper Spray is illegal in Canada, but Bear Spray is not. You can't use Bear Spray on people because the label on the can says not to.
    I would say use your brains and common sense if you cant be armed. I wouldn't hike where there is high bear traffic. I did Yellowstone and Jackson area last summer with my sister; I didn't bring weapons because of brother in law has been liberally brainwashed and it would have ruined the trip for him. The results were that while I did hike in bear country with bear spray I was very uneasy and left a few places in a hurry as my "spidey" senses were aroused. Only saw one Grizz from a safe distance....
    As it was my BIL had a cow in Yellowstone as he saw a couple open carrying..... I told him to quit looking at it and be happy that I didn't have one on my hip........

I worked in AK as a young man, it was the adventure of a lifetime and I want to go back as a tourist. I only saw a tiny sliver of the coast but it was a very cool place. Sportsman's paradise.

Have a safe trip and I hope you have a great time!
    PS: I wouldnt hesitate to spray someone if warranted with bear spray......

Scott G
    AzQkr, OD* and Rhinoman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by strider43 View Post
    ...I didn't bring weapons because of brother in law has been liberally brainwashed and it would have ruined the trip for him. The results were that while I did hike in bear country with bear spray I was very uneasy and left a few places in a hurry as my "spidey" senses were aroused...
    So you chose to make yourself uneasy rather than your B-in-L? Hummm. B-in-L feels his trip is ruined versus me maybe being eaten by a bear. Tough choice.

I would have gone out of the way to ruin MY B-in-L's trip rather than mine, but that's just me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array Old Sarge's Avatar
    Be sure to purchase a copy of "Milepost". It tells you what is at every mile. One of the things ya just cannot go without. We made the trip in winter of 63 on snowpack, and returned June 65 on the gravel. Great experience.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
    USAF RETIRED 52-72
    AzQkr and OD* like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    So you chose to make yourself uneasy rather than your B-in-L? Hummm. B-in-L feels his trip is ruined versus me maybe being eaten by a bear. Tough choice.

I would have gone out of the way to ruin MY B-in-L's trip rather than mine, but that's just me.
    It wasn't an easy choice and my sister and I flew back from Salt Lake City while he continued to his cabin back east. I just didn't want to listen to them ***** the whole time and I have not gone through the flying, securing of the weapon process which as it turns out would made us probably miss our flight. I did think about bring one and hiding it in my BIL car and retrieving upon his arrival home. This was an important trip with my sister that I was willing to sacrifice for and keep the peace for a relaxing trip. As it was they started fighting, in the car on the first day. I wont be going with them again.....
    OD* likes this.

It has to be made FOR bear protection to enter Canada, I bought what everyone says is the best spray which is counter assault. https://www.counterassault.com/

I also bought on Amazon and it came with a holster which protects the button from being inadvertently pushed/operated and can be carried on my belt as soon as I'm off the bike when we're setting up camp. Read the reviews, from my research, it's the most effective on the market for where you're going.

https://www.counterassault.com/produ...-belt-holster/

I'll not hesitate to use it on two legged predators if need be.
    strider43, OD* and Rhinoman like this.

be more concerned with nursing moose....most often you are not given any time to choose....going around the head or the tail...how could a 2000lb animal with off-spring just "appear"??...youll see...make your own plan...best wishes
    AzQkr and OD* like this.

VIP Member
    If you want bear spray, buy it on my side of the border not yours.

Even though it's perfectly legal here the CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) will confiscate it. Same thing with assisted opening knives. Perfectly legal here, but don't cross the border with one.
    Rhinoman likes this.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    If you want bear spray, buy it on my side of the border not yours.

Even though it's perfectly legal here the CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) will confiscate it. Same thing with assisted opening knives. Perfectly legal here, but don't cross the border with one.
    section 4 of the pest control products regulation dated Feb 23, 2000 from the pest management regulatory agency states:
    Only environmental protection agency [ EPA ] registered bear sprays may be imported into Canada. All imports must continue to be declared to Canada Customs. PMRA regional offices will inform local customs officials of the new procedure/allowance.

File number 99AB-026
    signed Julie Sisson, P. Ag.

Counter Assault bear spray is made 90 minutes from the Canadian border in Kalispell, Mt. Penny Davis sent me the pdf official letter that allows approved bear spray into the country and their spray "counter assault" meets both the EPA definition and the countries rules and regulations on pest control products. They have pulse on the situation at the border with their products being allowed through customs being that close to the border.

Border services are well aware of what's allowed into the country. And of course, I'll have a copy of that letter with me when I make the border crossing should some arsehat agent feel he/she can supersede the countries governing agency and ruling on this matter.

Research and the 6P's have applied at every step of the trip being planned on the motorcycle. I'm not one to wing it or work on a hope and a prayer.

If your up there in the end of June and I see an RV go by I'll wave at you.
    Rhinoman likes this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

That was sarcasm OV.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links