If you have joint/back pain/discomfort/stiffness, you might find this interesting... - Page 2

If you have joint/back pain/discomfort/stiffness, you might find this interesting...

This is a discussion on If you have joint/back pain/discomfort/stiffness, you might find this interesting... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I quit drinking and smoking 12 years ago. Be darned if I quit coffee. Thanks for the ammunition, @ Tangle ....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: If you have joint/back pain/discomfort/stiffness, you might find this interesting...

VIP Member
    I quit drinking and smoking 12 years ago. Be darned if I quit coffee. Thanks for the ammunition, @Tangle .

Distinguished Member Array BlackhawkGirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I shoot a lot, as much as 6 times a week sometimes. I use high power scopes and any jitters from coffee/tea is certainly magnified. I simply cannot see a difference when I've had caffeine (normal consumption) and when it's been lighter. BUT...

I've been drinking coffee and tea for decades, and apparently I'm an individual that has a high immunity to some of the side effects of caffeine. It is well known that "we" do develop an immunity to coffee/tea negative effects and we also know it varies from individual to individual.

I do experience that coffee jitter sometimes if I overdose or if I drink coffee on an empty stomach, but it's rare, and the lesson to me is don't do that.
    My coffee drinking is very specific, measured and disciplined. I do use it for mental (postpone old age brain) and physical performance enhancement (cycling, having a productive morning). It is also a comforting morning ritual for me. And I love it! I do have to re-think having it on an empty stomach, though, with no dairy as a buffer. Maybe that is why I seem to have more heartburn lately. The old cast iron stomach is not what it used to be!

I have the same measured amount every day, at the same time, black, no sugar, no dairy. If I have any too late in the day, I won't sleep at night. Skip it in the morning... bad idea, horrible withdrawal headaches, even for someone who only drinks 2 cups a day.
    Everything I needed to know in life was captured in one Indiana Jones minute:

https://youtu.be/7YyBtMxZgQs

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackhawkGirl View Post
    My coffee drinking is very specific, measured and disciplined. I do use it for mental (postpone old age brain) and physical performance enhancement (cycling, having a productive morning). It is also a comforting morning ritual for me. And I love it! I do have to re-think having it on an empty stomach, though, with no dairy as a buffer. Maybe that is why I seem to have more heartburn lately. The old cast iron stomach is not what it used to be!

I have the same measured amount every day, at the same time, black, no sugar, no dairy. If I have any too late in the day, I won't sleep at night. Skip it in the morning... bad idea, horrible withdrawal headaches, even for someone who only drinks 2 cups a day.
    Great stuff!

I was drinking about 6 cups of coffee and a couple of glasses of tea, and maybe a diet coke. I've dropped the diet coke, reduced the coffee to about 2-1/2 cups per day, and a couple of glasses of tea.

The 6 cups of coffee started to bother my "...old cast iron stomach..." a little so I took the hint and cut back.

Good point about the no sugar, no creamer. I think we'd still get the coffee benefit, but the sugar and creamer comes with their own issues like raising A1C levels and moving a near zero calorie drink to upwards of 200 calories or so depending on how much of what.
    We don't have a gun problem in the US, We have a people problem.
    The problem we have is people that want to kill large numbers innocent people
    in Gun Free Zones.

It sounds like you have the same heart condition as I do. Mine skips a beat and the nurses always ask if my heart rate is always this low when it reads 40. It's actually about 80 according to my cardiologist, who I say yesterday. But I do consume caffeine in mass quantities and still have joint/back pain as well as (recently) a bout of vertigo not heart related.

My gastro doc asked how much coffee I drank. I was working as a weight inspector on rotating shifts at the time and told her 3-4 a day. She said I should cut back to 1-2 cups. I informed her it was 3-4 "pots" a day, not cups.

The Starbucks "anti-gun" myth is for a different debate on another day.
    Tangle, msgt/ret and QKShooter like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Name:  Coffee.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  14.4 KB
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It sounds like you have the same heart condition as I do. Mine skips a beat and the nurses always ask if my heart rate is always this low when it reads 40. It's actually about 80 according to my cardiologist, who I say yesterday. But I do consume caffeine in mass quantities and still have joint/back pain as well as (recently) a bout of vertigo not heart related.
    Sounds like we do have the same condition. My cardiologist set my pulse rate at 70 bpm by measuring the atrial beats and multiplying by 2 to account for the in between PVCs. Not sure what that really means, since I really don't have 70 atrial beats per minute.

Understand about the continued back and joint pain. However, it may be that it would be even worse if it were not for the coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    ...My gastro doc asked how much coffee I drank. I was working as a weight inspector on rotating shifts at the time and told her 3-4 a day. She said I should cut back to 1-2 cups. I informed her it was 3-4 "pots" a day, not cups.
    WOW! You must have had an assistant keeping coffee brewed
    QKShooter and Rock and Glock like this.
    We don't have a gun problem in the US, We have a people problem.
    The problem we have is people that want to kill large numbers innocent people
    in Gun Free Zones.

When I was in the Navy several sailors I was stationed with lived in the same low rent apartment complex. One guy's wife went through a 25 cup percolator pot of coffee plus a six pack or more of 16 ounce Pepsi every day.
    Tangle and QKShooter like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    WOW! You must have had an assistant keeping coffee brewed
    At 3:00 AM on a Sunday morning at an interstate weigh station, there wasn't much else to do.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I remember my grandma making coffee on a stove top percolator. That stuff was hot! Who needs a Mr. Coffee, she always said.
    msgt/ret, Tangle and QKShooter like this.

Been drinking 48 to 72 ounces of coffee a day for decades. At near 67, BP hovers at the 118/76 level all the time. No heart problems, VA docs tell me whatever I'm doing, just keep doing it, my body agrees with what I eat and drink. Not much in the way of issues with arthritis, etc either.

BTW, I drink water and coffee, that's it. Never soda, juice drinks, cranberry juices [ too much sugar ], etc.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Interesting! I am a dedicated French Roast drinker, so I agree totally without question.

Having said that, a friend that is a competetive shooter at the national and international level quits drinking coffee during the competition season. Poor fella. Free bullets and cheap guns for giving up coffee. That's a dilemma. I'm not that strong.
    In a related bit of history, Col. Askins used to invite his Border Patrol pistol team into his tent at the national matches (bullesye shooting) for a shot of "group tightener" before their event. I suspect it wasn't coffee!
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

DG
    The health benefits of coffee may be regularly disputed, but a new study has linked caffeine consumption with improved heart health.

In fact, consuming four cups of coffee a day could help protect cardiovascular cells from damage and also help them to repair.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8411231.html

Eight years ago I spent four days in a coronary observation unit. The nurses brought me coffee every day.

DG
    My cardiologist jokes that his worst nightmare is a patient with an internet connection.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    In a related bit of history, Col. Askins used to invite his Border Patrol pistol team into his tent at the national matches (bullesye shooting) for a shot of "group tightener" before their event. I suspect it wasn't coffee!
    Nor cheap bourbon.

If you have joint/back pain/discomfort/stiffness, you might find this interesting...-9a884d12-7a73-4ef9-8700-1849fb775cff.jpeg

Gotta start my day with 16 oz of the black nectar of the gods. And anything else is a bonus.

Was over in Hawaii quite awhile back and had the smoothest, boldest coffee. They can grow it there. Nothing like some pure Kona from certain regions.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links