Off With Their Heads!! - Page 2

Off With Their Heads!!

This is a discussion on Off With Their Heads!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My experience in my area is that getting on the force is a "good 'ole boys club". If you know someone, if you are related ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Off With Their Heads!!

Senior Member Array Illusive Man's Avatar
    My experience in my area is that getting on the force is a "good 'ole boys club". If you know someone, if you are related to someone, you are in. I personally know of 3 people with exemplary military service, morals, young and strong, but because they are not "connected" around here, they pass everything only to be told the department is hiring from that particular "list". I'm sure my little town is not the only one that politics and who you know can play a part in getting hired.
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

The truth, as I see it, is the officers had legal discretion to arrest or merely cite so the driver gambled and lost. However, their indecisiveness itself would seem to argue for the citation. Yet, their biggest mistake is that their cavalier approach tainted the arrest to the point that the prosecutor felt it necessary to dismiss charges. So, I think the driver learned a lesson, which was the point of the stop anyway, and so did the officers. I think they should be retained.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Power always comes from men acting together…; isolated men are powerless by definition.” Hannah Arendt

"The less we are governed internally, the more we invite external governance from the state." Murray Rothbard

Granted using a coin flip to decide whether to arrest or not I would deem unprofessional it’s just the latest social media “outrage of the week”.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Also, consider that sometimes a coin toss is used to help one clarify his inclinations based on his gut reaction to the results of the toss. Therefore, the toss didn't decide the outcome, the officer did.
    "Power always comes from men acting together…; isolated men are powerless by definition.” Hannah Arendt

"The less we are governed internally, the more we invite external governance from the state." Murray Rothbard

I think they should be disciplined and sent for some additional training. They should not be fired. My thoughts:
    • Either you have cause to arrest someone or you don't. If you have to flip a coin for it, you don't know that you're doing.
    • If you do have cause to arrest someone, but you have the discretion to be lenient and not arrest them, make your decision and own it. A coin flip is an irrelevant and ridiculous means of deciding.
    • As someone said, they showed a cavalier attitude toward their arrest powers.
    • They should be keenly aware that any behavior like this is going to wind up on social media. That is unfortunate, but it's the world we live in. LEOs need to be careful about conduct unbecoming their position and about bringing public embarrassment on themselves as officers, their department and their profession in general. A key aspect of what makes LE work is public confidence. If LE loses that, they can't be effective. Even though this is trivial, it shows bad judgement. Their department has cause to worry what they might do down the road.
    Rock and Glock and Hoganbeg like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Use the coin flip app to see if the cops keep their jobs..........simple...
    MMinSC, msgt/ret, OldVet and 1 others like this.

Senior Moderator
    I agree with @jmf552 . Having said that, there should be a reprimand (Personally, I think harsh words with a very short or limited write up) however, they should be able to “recover” from it and move on to a continuing career. Improved judgement illustrated immediately, or released if anything of such poor judgement again.

I think it is a public perception issue they probably regret, and will learn from.
    msgt/ret, Hoganbeg and RETSUPT99 like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array riverrambler's Avatar
    To answer a couple of your questions, is social media running our lives? For a larger part of society in America than you think, yes, along with the tv news, tv shows and movies.
    The cops getting fired? No. Not an unforgivable mistake. Just making a judgement call by a different route. I'm sure that they learned their lesson and in the future will be more professional, like using the time honored rock scissors paper method.
    Rock and Glock and msgt/ret like this.
    I didn't attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
    Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Meanwhile, the person arrested was going 80 MPH, far over the speed limit of the particular road, putting people in danger.

From the transcript, it appears they were going to arrest her regardless.

People need to toughen up. This is peanuts.

Welcome to Snowflake land.
    Agree 100% ! When I lived in Dunwoody would pass through there daily to and from work. Quite often on my motorcycle. I'd be DOA if she hit me. That kind of speed is right there with DWI, & texting while driving, in my oppion.
    Sister likes this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Quote Originally Posted by CG11 View Post
    How many of us would have survived in our chosen professions had every bonehead move we made be made known and we be required to pay for it?? I'd probably be one of those homeless guys under a freeway underpass somewhere.
    Oh how true! The stories I could tell of myself and others, but won't. But I have to agree that the officer needs to make the decision and own it. What I can't understand is knowing that you are recorded and doing dumb things.
    msgt/ret and OldVet like this.
    “I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on. I don’t do these things to other people and I require the same from them.” John Wayne - The Shootist

"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." Seneca

VIP Member
    I read more about this. The officers were in the car, and the "coin toss" resulted in a "no arrest." They arrested her anyway. Seems like the officers were going to arrest her, and the coin toss may have been what they thought was a private joke.

The lady that was arrested was going 80 MPH on a wet road (not interstate). Yes, you can be arrested for reckless driving if the act is especially egregious.

So...a couple of cops make a private joke, and now their careers are on the line. Thank you social media and mob mentality outrage.

This is absolutely ridiculous.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I read more about this. The officers were in the car, and the "coin toss" resulted in a "no arrest." They arrested her anyway. Seems like the officers were going to arrest her, and the coin toss may have been what they thought was a private joke.

The lady that was arrested was going 80 MPH on a wet road (not interstate). Yes, you can be arrested for reckless driving if the act is especially egregious.

So...a couple of cops make a private joke, and now their careers are on the line. Thank you social media and mob mentality outrage.

This is absolutely ridiculous.
    Agreed.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

DG [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    My experience in my area is that getting on the force is a "good 'ole boys club". If you know someone, if you are related to someone, you are in. I personally know of 3 people with exemplary military service, morals, young and strong, but because they are not "connected" around here, they pass everything only to be told the department is hiring from that particular "list". I'm sure my little town is not the only one that politics and who you know can play a part in getting hired.
    I'm glad you brought that up. Buried deep in the story is this little tidbit of information...

Webb was not aware of the coin flip until 11 Alive obtained the video and informed her of the footage.

I wonder where the news station got their video footage of the incident?

Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post

This is so true! My brother went to court for going to a guys house with a gun to “get him” (whatever that means) because for reasons I’m not stating he (brother) majorly disapproved of the fellow for dating my brothers girlfriends daughter. Yes, crazy story - here is where Illusive Man’s post comes true - the judge and lawyers laughed about it and tossed it out of court, they were hunting and fishing buddies with my brother. Jimmy is dead now so he can’t be taken to jail for that one and I’m not proud of what he did but this does show it rings true as to who you know NOT the law as much.

He also got caught fishing in a no fish area, he was with the Game Warden at the time so they got let go. Again, it’s who you know. BTW, this happened in our home state of the Carolinas. Obviously this is everywhere just look no further than the government.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links