Welders - help me out here - Page 2

Welders - help me out here

This is a discussion on Welders - help me out here within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by CG11 You'll find a metal chop saw handy, too MB53. I bought a cheap Harbor Freight one more than 15 years ago ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Welders - help me out here

Distinguished Member Array riverrambler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CG11 View Post
    You'll find a metal chop saw handy, too MB53. I bought a cheap Harbor Freight one more than 15 years ago in an emergency, thinking I would go get a good one later. I'm still using it, and it still works just fine. Great for cutting angle and tubing.
    I bought one of those ten years ago and use the heck out of it. Harbor freight tools are either a hit or miss on quality. This one's a hit. No need to upgrade for me.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    I didn't attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
    Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    While the magnetic triangles are invaluable at times so are plain ole clamps of various sorts.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Joe

First time I used a Mig, I felt like I was cheating on my wife.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poorly View Post
    First time I used a Mig, I felt like I was cheating on my wife.
    I've melted some stuff together with welders before and while it's so much easier with migs, thou I'm not sure I'd go that far.
    Joe

VIP Member
    @MB53 , I built one, cheap! 4 ft. square X 1/4 plate. 11 gauge square tubing frame, with a drawer for keeping extra welding supplies, soap stone etc. Can't remember if you are here (Houston area), but if you are, you can get steel "cheap" at "Triple S Steel". Most every time I'm doing some project, I look in their "scrap/drop off" yard", as I usually find what I need there, at a discount! At my old house, I also had a "heavy fab table". I got a piece of 1/2" plate that had been cut in a circle about 34". It already had some 1/2" holes drilled in it (8-10), kind of like a blind flange, which were great for mounting a vise, & other items. I got a piece of 6" I beam, and welded it to the plate. Sunk it in the ground 7 ft. & concreted in! Height above ground was a little over 3 ft. I used it on occasion as an anchor for pulling. Good luck with your welding endeavors!
    scottync and 5lima30ret like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    My son is hooking me up with supplies to build a welding table. He works for a company that builds & repairs oil rigs so there's an endless mother load of scrap metal he can pull from.
    airslot, Poorly and 5lima30ret like this.

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    Well it's been a month or more since I started this thread so thought I'd update on how it's going.

I waited until Black Friday/Cyber Monday to take advantage of some good deals on equipment and ended up getting everything I need.

After some pretty lousy beginner practice (flux core) on thin 20ga tubing (which was all I had on hand) I ended up getting my hands on some thicker steel in a variety of shapes and also added a gas cylinder to the rig yesterday. There is a welding supply place about 10 miles from me so I went there to talk shop, learn something, and look at tanks. Ended up with a 150cf tank of C25 and haven't connected it up yet since it's just too darned cold to mess with it today. Got some good info from the guys there, picked up a spool of wire and a couple of extra contact tips.

I ended up getting a tall welding cart to hold the welder and tank and related gear, which was a good choice for the workshop, and I picked up a folding welding table to work on small projects pending the build of a larger table.

So far it's going ok. I'm really a novice and it shows! But with every bead comes a learning experience. I did manage to repair a garden hose hanger yesterday and it looks 'not half bad'...lol. Practice, practice, practice...

Hopefully this rabbit hole isn't too much deeper!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Not sure what the working load rating of your workmate is, but a 36x36x1/4" sheet of steel weight over 90 pounds. I'd be careful about the rig being tippy due to a high CG.

Sorry, we engineers tend to over-think things.
    the tree swing

Poorly and airslot like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links