dangers of tourism - Page 2

dangers of tourism

This is a discussion on dangers of tourism within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Life was cheap in Mexico when I lived there back in the 80s. Now I don't think I'd go there unless I could take a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: dangers of tourism

Life was cheap in Mexico when I lived there back in the 80s. Now I don't think I'd go there unless I could take a platoon of Marines!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Sister likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    Mexico is a third world hellhole with a thin veneer laid over the tourist spots.
    Which mostly stay peaceful because the tourist spots are how they launder large amounts of Cartel money.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Distinguished Member Array Old Sarge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    I get the strong impression that most gringos have never experienced good tequila. The notion that Cuervo Gold is a step or two above lighter fluid confirms my suspicions.
    Curious, what do you recommend?
    Texas Red and matthew03 like this.

Why go there when you can go to Spivey’s Corner NC Rock N Roll Baby let the Hollaring begin!

Now that’s what I’m talking about when it comes to VayCay
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

EPSTEIN DIDN’T KILL HIMSELF

Only been to Mexico once, we were down in Laredo, TX for the Laredo Shootout a bow hunting trip for Javelina. It was a four day hunt but on the second night we ran out of Kahlúa we were a little north of Laredo so we drove down to the international bridge and walked across found a liquor store, stocked up and went back across the bridge taking maybe 30 minutes. For people who have never out of the USA they cannot imagine the difference in living conditions and in many places the total lack of respect of human life.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    I wonder how many Fast and Furious guns are being used?
    ^^^ Funny how, except for a group like this, that fiasco is all but forgotten. SAD.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

As much as I'd like to visit other countries I've recently decided I'm not going to places that criminalize speech, self defense, or any other basic freedoms. If you don't like it don't fund it.
    matthew03 likes this.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    The wife and I went to the Hard Rock Cafe resort in Cancun a few years ago. It was a free trip through my wife's work. After being there a couple of hours, we saw people performing CPR on someone by the pool. Apparently, he had a couple of drinks that likely had counterfeit alcohol and passed out in the pool. Women are frequently drugged and raped, but the police pretty much ignore it. That was my first and most likely last trip to Mexico.
    msgt/ret and airslot like this.
    Has anyone tried turning the country off and then back on again?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RETSUPT99 View Post
    There are several places that my travel plans won't include...Mexico, New Jersey, California, Washington, Oregon, New York, DC (although my wife and her sister just went there...I refused to go) Maryland, and Illinois. Sorry, I just won't travel anywhere my firearm and I are not both welcomed.
    I think you’d like Idaho, Wyoming and Montana!
    forester58 likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    Curious, what do you recommend?
    Most tequilas with the statement "100% blue agave" on the label will be decent.

Some favorites of mine: Don Julio (any style; silver, reposado, anejo) Fortaleza blanco, El Tesoro anejo

Many more, but those are off the top of my head.
    matthew03 and Old Sarge like this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    I think you’d like Idaho, Wyoming and Montana!
    Throw in North and South Dakota and that is my United States right there. Smaller than I remember from school.

Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    I see no reason to leave the US, for a vacation or anything else. If I'm going to vacation, there are plenty of places within our borders that I haven't seen.
    To expand on this, there are places within the country that I would like to visit, but won't. Upstate New York, Annapolis and Boston just to name a few. The only reason being the incessant trampling of Constitutional rights.
    msgt/ret and matthew03 like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    I get the strong impression that most gringos have never experienced good tequila. The notion that Cuervo Gold is a step or two above lighter fluid confirms my suspicions.
    Bless your heart Red.....

Back in the late 90's A good shipmate of mine (of Polish heritage no less) married into a wonderful Mexican family. As part of the wedding party, I had to be there early for all the 'stuff' that goes into a 'traditional' Mexican/Catholic wedding. The lucky girl's uncle is a distiller......he produced a 'special' tequila (a blanco) just for the occasion. I have zero idea what 'special' meant for that tequila, but it was the best nectar to have ever touched my soul. That man is still one of my hero's to this day.

As far as I'm concerned, Cuervo Gold is a good baseline for tailgating margaritas.

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Bless your heart Red.....

Back in the late 90's A good shipmate of mine (of Polish heritage no less) married into a wonderful Mexican family. As part of the wedding party, I had to be there early for all the 'stuff' that goes into a 'traditional' Mexican/Catholic wedding. The lucky girl's uncle is a distiller......he produced a 'special' tequila (a blanco) just for the occasion. I have zero idea what 'special' meant for that tequila, but it was the best nectar to have ever touched my soul. That man is still one of my hero's to this day.

As far as I'm concerned, Cuervo Gold is a good baseline for tailgating margaritas.
    Cuervo Gold and other cheap tequilas are "mixtos" meaning that they're 51% tequila and 49% aguardiente, a cane distillate that gives it that nice petroleum character. Kind of like lighter fluid or maybe unleaded gasoline with a little sweetener of some kind added in. I don't know about now, but it used to be that mixtos were exclusively for export and weren't sold in Mexico. That may have changed in recent years.

Cuervo DOES produce some very fine products, but their "Especial" Gold and Silver are their cheapest offerings and simply don't compare to good 100% agave tequilas.

For Margaritas, Cuervo Tradicional is just a few dollars more, 100% blue agave, and superior to the Gold. Suaza Hornitos is similar and likewise makes a great Margarita. Sauza's Tres Generaciones (3Gs) is good stuff for sipping.

If you feel like spending a lot more, Cuervo's Reserva de la Familia is top shelf and it's so good it almost drinks itself.

An uncle from "the old country" paid a visit about 20 years back. In Denmark, they only had mixtos available and he was familiar with them and was a little hesitant to try the good stuff as a result of his experiences with the mixtos. One sip and he was convinced that the REAL tequilas are as fine a drink as bourbon, Scotch or anything else. (Beware of Gamel Dansk, some nasty stuff he brought with him and left behind. Kinda like old crankcase oil.)

More info at this website: In Search of the Blue Agave: 100% and Mixto Tequila

Bottoms up.
    matthew03 and goldshellback like this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links