Chicago Politics At It's Finest

This is a discussion on Chicago Politics At It's Finest within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I saw this on another board. https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...103-story.html "Longtime Ald. Edward Burke, one of Chicago’s most powerful figures and a vestige of the city’s old Democratic ...

Like Tree41Likes
  • 5 Post By OldChap
  • 7 Post By niks
  • 2 Post By CG11
  • 4 Post By HotBrass45
  • 2 Post By spclopr8tr
  • 2 Post By OldChap
  • 3 Post By niks
  • 4 Post By BCC73
  • 4 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By OldChap
  • 2 Post By BCC73
  • 1 Post By OldChap
  • 3 Post By BCC73
  • 1 Post By OldChap

Thread: Chicago Politics At It's Finest

I saw this on another board.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...103-story.html

"Longtime Ald. Edward Burke, one of Chicago’s most powerful figures and a vestige of the city’s old Democratic machine, has often been considered too clever and sophisticated to be caught blatantly using his public office to enrich himself.

But after years of dodging investigations while watching dozens of his colleagues hauled off to prison, Burke has been accused of crossing the line himself — and doing so in a quintessential Chicago way.

A federal criminal complaint unsealed Thursday charged Burke with attempted extortion for allegedly using his position as alderman to try to steer business to his private law firm from a company seeking to renovate a fast-food restaurant in his ward. The charge carries a maximum of 20 years in prison on conviction.
    Typicial politician...but WAIT...the story gets even better:

"Prosecutors revealed during the 10-minute hearing that the FBI found 23 guns in the raids on Burke’s City Hall and ward offices in November. As a condition of his bond, Burke, a former Chicago police officer, was ordered to surrender the firearms and any others he may own within 48 hours of his release.
    But WAIT....

Burke has been for years a vocal supporter of gun control in Chicago. In 1982, Burke was a driving force in pushing through the Council a historic ban on handgun ownership in Chicago.
    Imagine that! Is there any doubt that what we need is a Constitutional Amendment allowing elected public servants only two terms in their entire lifetime?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Rules are for thee not for me seems to be the motto for most politics.
    Havok, Frodebro, CWOUSCG and 4 others like this.

VIP Member
    People who run for office do so for many reasons - unfortunately many of them do so to get rich through the graft and corruption their positions make possible. The ilk of Al Capone didn't go away, they just changed camouflaged themselves as public servants.
    OldChap and msgt/ret like this.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws, politicians and celebrities will have guns.
    niks, msgt/ret, OldVet and 1 others like this.
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

VIP Member
    Do as I say, not as I do. I wonder if Rahm's laundry is just as dirty?
    msgt/ret and OldChap like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    Do as I say, not as I do. I wonder if Rahm's laundry is just as dirty?
    Does a wild bear....er....uhm....roam the woods?
    msgt/ret and niks like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CG11 View Post
    The ilk of Al Capone didn't go away, they just changed camouflaged themselves as public servants.
    I believe the alderman system was in place in Old Al's day as well. Corruption and graft in Chicago were only a little younger than the oldest profession.

Been after this POS for decades....he's skated numerous times !!! Truly hope this one sticks !!!!
    Glock 19 Gen4
    Glock 43

I have the Right to remain silent....just NOT the ability !!!
    Carry Safe & Train hard !!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Is there any doubt that what we need is a Constitutional Amendment allowing elected public servants only two terms in their entire lifetime?
    Sorry, OC, that's a non-sequitur. Committing a crime in office does not correlate with the number of terms served.

While I'm somewhat sympathetic to the reasons so many call for term limits, I think caution needs to be exercised to avoid throwing out the baby with the bath water. Some of our finest legislators in Congress served honorably and without disgracing their office for 20, 30 or more years. One of the biggest problems with term limits is that we risk ending up with a bunch of rookies in Congress who barely start to understand the law-making process before they're flushed out of office - clearly, more a problem for the House than the Senate. What happens then is that career bureaucrats (Congressional staffers) end up guiding and influencing the newly-elected, which effective short-circuits and quite possibly subverts the notion of "fresh blood" on the Hill. Look at what's behind the "Deep State" as a prime example - holdovers in the Executive branch whose sympathies lie with the previous administration, and who find opportunities to subvert the current administration.

I'm not saying term limits are necessarily a bad thing, but rather the subject needs to be approached carefully to avoid unintended consequences.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

@gasmitty That is probably right. I have heard more sophisticated ideas. Regardless of how it is done, it needs to be done correctly, but above all something needs to be done. When a politician comes into office almost penniless in personal wealth and leaves 10 years later as a multi-millionaire, that practice needs to stop. It evidently doesn't bother the welfare-dependent constituents that their "representative" no longer has time to identify with them because they are too busy sipping champagne, munching on Russian caviar, and stuffing their pockets to bother with their petty problems - unless it is reelection time.

I have an idea how I would deal with un-elected bureaucrats if somebody made me king. I wouldn't be very popular with them though.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Illinois is appalled that we actually have a dishonest politician...especially in Chiraq ???? Wait....WHAT ????
    OldChap and msgt/ret like this.
    Glock 19 Gen4
    Glock 43

@BCC73 Brother, for all of Chicago's perceived failings, I think Michigan, Detroit specifically, may have you guys on the ropes.
    BCC73 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    @BCC73 Brother, for all of Chicago's perceived failings, I think Michigan, Detroit specifically, may have you guys on the ropes.
    Does Michigan have a designated CELL for it's Governors ????
    niks, OldChap and msgt/ret like this.
    Glock 19 Gen4
    Glock 43

Quote Originally Posted by BCC73 View Post
    Does Michigan have a designated CELL for it's Governors ????
    I don't know, but I bet they have a bunch of rubber rooms!
    BCC73 likes this.

Sponsored Links