Disappointing lack of participation - Page 4

Disappointing lack of participation

This is a discussion on Disappointing lack of participation within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by OldVet It was supposed to go- Attachment 287600 I'll try to do better next year. Sometimes, by the time I read a ...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree859Likes

Thread: Disappointing lack of participation

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It was supposed to go-
    Attachment 287600

I'll try to do better next year.

Sometimes, by the time I read a thread, whatever comment I would post has been previously stated ad nauseum. So I don't post anything, if you can believe that.
    Somehow, I'm thankful you don't send me Christmas cards
    OldVet, Rock and Glock and OD* like this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldvet View Post
    consider yourself disassociated then.

And off the list.
    but i want my christmas card.
    OldVet, Rock and Glock and OD* like this.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I really enjoy this forum and have learned a great deal from so many great people here. At the same time, it seems like there are very few people here who are actively engaged and contribute to our discussions. New people who ask questions often provoke discussions in directions, or on topics, I had not even considered. It's really a shame we do not have more folks who are willing to contribute. Just an observation on my part, not a criticism, and an expression of frustration.
    It happens. You will notice that a hot topic, or button pushing thread will get a lot of action it brings all the voices in. As a 10 year member of the board you see the same questions as over, and over, and over again. So in those threads most members just mark the thread read. All in all its going pretty good around here. If you want action. Start a thread that will get people up in arms....Of course stay with in the rules...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

And Shepards we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, So that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command,
    And we shall flow a river forth to Thee, And teeming with souls shall it ever be,

Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    It's not just forums lacking activity, but IRC also. It's kinda funny of the lack of activity on IRC channels even though there are so many logged in to where you have to scroll down the list.
    LOL, that's nothing. You should see all the dial-up community college bulletin boards systems!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    It happens. You will notice that a hot topic, or button pushing thread will get a lot of action it brings all the voices in. As a 10 year member of the board you see the same questions as over, and over, and over again. So in those threads most members just mark the thread read. All in all its going pretty good around here. If you want action. Start a thread that will get people up in arms....Of course stay with in the rules...
    https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...icle-1.2328853
    Rock and Glock likes this.

I really enjoy this forum and have learned a great deal from so many great people here. At the same time, it seems like there are very few people here who are actively engaged and contribute to our discussions. New people who ask questions often provoke discussions in directions, or on topics, I had not even considered. It's really a shame we do not have more folks who are willing to contribute. Just an observation on my part, not a criticism, and an expression of frustration.

Ditto. It's not just this forum.
    Speaking for myself and my observations, I was just getting into computers, newsgroups and then forums about the same time a lot of forums I joined were just getting going. It seems people flocked to the popular ones that Google picked up on. And then more forums appeared and more forums and people started branching off when things didn't run to their liking, oftentimes taking half the forum's active posters with them... maybe moving to another forum that was a bit slower and in need of an influx of new members. And now we have two popular forums, but with half the active posters as the original landing place.

And then of course FB gets going and the other ones I can't remember... My Space? And the people who were only on the forum "socially", who spent their time in Off Topic playing internet games, had another outlet. So many of them branched off.

Meanwhile, going by the adage that a forum is only as good as its moderators, you've got the original 12 mods of the four-new-pages-every four-hours and only 30 or so active posters now that barely load two new pages a day And half the mods don't post unless it's their own thread or another mod has posted something that interests them. They've been there done that and are coasting. So a potential new member sees this and thinks it's pretty cliquey, that you have to be one of the good 'ol boys (much like walking into a new gun shop) to be accepted. So they they either lurk or leave.

And specifically speaking about this forum, the weird slowness that comes and goes doesn't help.
    I recently increased my internet speed and got a new modem and this forum still takes forever to load pages... at times. Early morning it usually moves at normal speeds.
    So specifically speaking of myself, I don't make "polite" replies anymore unless I really want to say something. It's just too frustrating waiting for pages to load. Tough enough to click on a thread, wait for it to load and read it.

So yeah.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

Well there you go. Time for a new thread...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

And Shepards we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, So that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command,
    And we shall flow a river forth to Thee, And teeming with souls shall it ever be,

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Well there you go. Time for a new thread...
    The mods would take turns banning me.

You have a thirst for knowledge.

i'd log on while on lunch break, but, that would entail remembering my log in info...I stand a better chance of seeing God.

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    a lot more competition for attention these days for forums too. facebook pages, twitter, youtube video comments. lots of all those related to 2A,firearms, etc.. all feeding and nurturing our short attention span ADD..... ooohhhh look....a squirrel over there!!!!
    Rock and Glock and G26Raven like this.

Distinguished Member Array SOS24's Avatar
    I think there are a few aspects that play into this.

- The number of members logged in is inflated due to members not logging out, especially if using an app like Tapatalk. Even if the member does not have it open, because they stay logged in, they are seen as being here.
    - People may join just to ask a question and then when they get their answer, they donít participate anymore.
    - Newer and less experienced members not feeling confident enough to participate, especially if they have been part of or read a thread with strong opinions or even right out hostility.
    - It may only take one bad experience in a thread to make someone stop posting. I have left a couple forums, because of negative experiences.

What ticks me off here is that this is a site where people talk about which weapon or ammo is the best to take another human out and then Mods have a rule # ?? that says you can't use any kind of punctuation mark that might be inflict a bad word.
    Been told 2? times that I might be gone for trying to be respectful.
    Instead of saying the S word I used a question mark, explanation mark etc. like they do in the Sunday comics in the newspaper.
    Come on guys, this isn't the Constitution, change or give leniency.
    And I see older members do it but.....

Quote Originally Posted by Instymp View Post
    What ticks me off here is that this is a site where people talk about which weapon or ammo is the best to take another human out and then Mods have a rule # ?? that says you can't use any kind of punctuation mark that might be inflict a bad word.
    Been told 2? times that I might be gone for trying to be respectful.
    Instead of saying the S word I used a question mark, explanation mark etc. like they do in the Sunday comics in the newspaper.
    Come on guys, this isn't the Constitution, change or give leniency.
    And I see older members do it but.....
    Sometimes folks don't understand that this website is private property and the owner/owner's representatives have the private property right to decree what kind of behavior is not allowed and will not be tolerated. Just like folks have the private property right to decree what kind of behavior is not allowed and will not be tolerated in their own homes.

However that private property right is not an infringement upon the right to free speech since folks still have the right to say whatever they want.... somewhere other than this website. Just like visitors to your own home have the right to say whatever they want... somewhere other than in your living room.

In plain language.. those who don't like what behavior isn't allowed on this website are free to go elsewhere. Just like those who don't like what behavior isn't allowed in your home can go visit someone else.

No I am not a moderator for this site or for any other. I am just explaining how it works.
    Instymp and OD* like this.

Senior Moderator
    It is like the tide. It ebbs and flows, eddies form, eddies disappear, the tide grows, the tide lessens, yet the tides continue.

As the threats of legislation or adverse court decisions become more apparent, we gain members, some long lived, some with short attention spans, as people become complacent they become less focused, less dedicated. With the employment rate rising as sharply as it has, I have no doubt some is employment related - folks get home tired and want to unwind elsewhere. Personally, I think everyone relaxed too much after 2016, and the 2018 results are grim. We'll work through those issues, but that does effect our population. I know right now I am pouring a lot of effort into Gun Owners of Maine, as we are faced with some real challenges at the state level. I know many other states are similar.

One certainty is new members - new members that ask bona fide questions that need solid, substantive answers, help, and advice. If we can help one new member safely join the shooting community and continue to be be safe and thereafter advocate safety, I believe we've done something wonderful. Truly wonderful. To think over the years this might have happened hundreds if not thousands of times is inspiring, that we've had a positive impact of potentially thousands. That is quietly comforting and quietly satisfying.

Anyway, the tides continue. They always will.

Peace, and Godspeed.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links