Disappointing lack of participation - Page 6

Disappointing lack of participation

This is a discussion on Disappointing lack of participation within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The one major drawback to having a lot of people participating is that it becomes harder and harder to maintain an atmosphere of community without ...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree859Likes

Thread: Disappointing lack of participation

The one major drawback to having a lot of people participating is that it becomes harder and harder to maintain an atmosphere of community without establishing those "cliques" that shun outsiders. Civility is often the first casualty of growth, and heavier-handed moderation invariably becomes necessary to keep things under control.
    G26Raven, OD* and OldChap like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodebro View Post
    The one major drawback to having a lot of people participating is that it becomes harder and harder to maintain an atmosphere of community without establishing those "cliques" that shun outsiders. Civility is often the first casualty of growth, and heavier-handed moderation invariably becomes necessary to keep things under control.
    Well then, perhaps we're at an optimal size here...
    Frodebro, OD*, OldChap and 2 others like this.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Well then, perhaps we're at an optimal size here...
    I'd say we're pretty close. I joined one guitar forum in 1999, and there were maybe 40 of us total. There was no moderation, but it wasn't necessary. No rules, but again, not necessary. We treated each other civilly, even in disagreements, and it was a fun place to hang out and just BS the night away. But it soon started growing, and the bigger it got the more there was a need for rules, and people to enforce them. Eventually it grew so large that it had to be moderated quite vigorously.
    G26Raven, OD* and Redbert31 like this.

You're correct, there is a point where you don't want too much participation as members posts will become buried down the wall too fast and communication suffers. No one wants to see all their posts get buried and ignored and they won't stick around long if they do.

On the other side of the spectrum having a small clique of long established members sharing most of the same likes and views and ruled by a few benevolent dictators who are the same as they isn't a good thing either and people will be driven away by that just as much as anything else. You don't want to shun outsiders simply because they are outsiders and/or may have different preferences and ideas then the clique.

Successful groups and forums should be able to create a good balance between the two.
    G26Raven and Redbert31 like this.

Are you not entertained?

9mm vs 45 ... no 40 ..... no 10mm
    380 aint powerful enough
    Glock 19 vs 1911 - because they are so alike
    Summer is coming and I can't conceal anything bigger than a NAA mini-revolver cause I go about shirtless (LOL)
    I've been invited to _____ but the hostess asked me to not carry. What do do? (LOL)
    Men with untucked shirts look sloppy, HA, so so unashamedly guilty.
    Chili has beans, no beans is meat soup.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Sometimes folks don't understand that this website is private property and the owner/owner's representatives have the private property right to decree what kind of behavior is not allowed and will not be tolerated. Just like folks have the private property right to decree what kind of behavior is not allowed and will not be tolerated in their own homes.

However that private property right is not an infringement upon the right to free speech since folks still have the right to say whatever they want.... somewhere other than this website. Just like visitors to your own home have the right to say whatever they want... somewhere other than in your living room.

In plain language.. those who don't like what behavior isn't allowed on this website are free to go elsewhere. Just like those who don't like what behavior isn't allowed in your home can go visit someone else.

No I am not a moderator for this site or for any other. I am just explaining how it works.
    You are absolutely correct.

Don't drink & post.

Appologies where applicable.
    Best Forum I see. great people.

Quote Originally Posted by Instymp View Post
    What ticks me off here is that this is a site where people talk about which weapon or ammo is the best to take another human out and then Mods have a rule # ?? that says you can't use any kind of punctuation mark that might be inflict a bad word.
    Been told 2? times that I might be gone for trying to be respectful.
    Instead of saying the S word I used a question mark, explanation mark etc. like they do in the Sunday comics in the newspaper.
    Come on guys, this isn't the Constitution, change or give leniency.
    And I see older members do it but.....
    Older members get points too, I just got some for substituting @#$% for [ never mind ]. Sometimes I'll forget that's a no no, and there's an award given/. It's not just the newbs bud.

Earlier I posted I may not post if my thoughts have already been stated. To be more accurate, I--OldVet--may not post. The Curmudgeon has a mind of his own though, and he has something to say about anything and everything. To keep him on a leash is difficult.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Earlier I posted I may not post if my thoughts have already been stated. To be more accurate, I--OldVet--may not post. The Curmudgeon has a mind of his own though, and he has something to say about anything and everything. To keep him on a leash is difficult.
    I always want to hear your words of wisdom! (Now do I get a Christmas card?)
    OldChap and Redbert31 like this.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

I felt the need to post in this thread...

Mission accomplished!

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

On a more serious note...

It's obvious that I'm not a prolific poster (member for 7 years; under 1k posts) but that's only because I've spent a majority of my time on other forums that have a broader range of scope.

THIS is still my number one source for firearm related info!

I do want to thank all the prolific posters for sharing their wisdom and knowledge for the youngbloods.

You guys ROCK!

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

A brand new member who has just won his/her first encounter and wants to tell the story are always the best.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

I'd say we're pretty close. I joined one guitar forum in 1999, and there were maybe 40 of us total. There was no moderation, but it wasn't necessary. No rules, but again, not necessary. We treated each other civilly, even in disagreements, and it was a fun place to hang out and just BS the night away. But it soon started growing, and the bigger it got the more there was a need for rules, and people to enforce them. Eventually it grew so large that it had to be moderated quite vigorously.
    I'm curious brother. Do folks on a guitar forum argue about whether it is better to use LARGE HEAVY guitar strings, or SMALLER LIGHTER ones?

@CDW4ME "...Chili has beans, no beans is meat soup." Them's fightin' words in Texas!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I'm curious brother. Do folks on a guitar forum argue about whether it is better to use LARGE HEAVY guitar strings, or SMALLER LIGHTER ones?
    And picks, don't forget picks. Fender, Ernie Ball, Gibson Pure, heavy, medium, triangular, thin???
    OldChap and Redbert31 like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Yes, among other things. The hottest debates center on old-school vacuum tube amps versus modern digital ones. And it gets freaky by the third post.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Sponsored Links