Never Underestimate What Old Guys Can Do - Page 2

Never Underestimate What Old Guys Can Do

This is a discussion on Never Underestimate What Old Guys Can Do within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Hoganbeg A project of that magnitude would require substantial funding! $600,000+ change. I got to meet the original B-36 team at a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree166Likes

Thread: Never Underestimate What Old Guys Can Do

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    A project of that magnitude would require substantial funding!
    $600,000+ change. I got to meet the original B-36 team at a CAF Airshow and the original plan was to restore it to flying condition and take it airshows like "FiFi". IIRC one of them said they had pledges of well over $2 million, but most of that was for a flying restoration. They had yet to secure pledges for operational expenses for putting it in the air. The fuel for those prop engines was Aviation Grade 100/130 (or whatever) octane. Same as "FiFi" uses. It cost around $600 just to start "FiFi". They were figuring it would cost $10-15 thousand for the B-36 to put on one demo flight. They also had a pretty tough fight with the DOD because, unlike the B-29, the B-36 was still classified as a strategic weapon.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Used to love hearing the B52's come over the farm when I was growing up. Was quite a sight when they came over in formation.
    Remember them doing low level training having to gain altitude to miss our grove. I could almost count the rivets.

Lost my hat to a flight of A-4's one afternoon while cultivating corn. My Dad called and complained about that one.
    I got a personal tour of the Air Guard base in Sioux Falls, SD and a helicopter ride out of It.

Good memories of some great birds.
    airslot, OldChap and duane_wade like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

There was a B-36 on static display when Chanute AFB closed. It's gone now, as are others that were there. I wonder where those planes went.
    msgt/ret, OldChap and SatCong like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Thanks for posting this - it brings back a lot of memories. I was on the restoration team - seeing all those old friends brought a lump to my throat. My function was helping design repair/replacement details for the A/C. Mr Plumlee (the Director) and I had more than a few cuss fights over this restoration - he was po'd at me all the time because he said I was designing the details to fly, and that was never the plan or the case. He always won. The plane was never reassembled in Ft Worth. It was trucked to Arizona for static display. While the various parts were stored in the run stations at General Dynamics RS1, there was a cat that had taken up residency in the aft portion of the fuselage, and every morning I would drive out to the RS and feed it. I always wondered of we shipped her off as well. One of the old timers I worked with told me that a lot of the current Lockheed workers' parents were probably conceived inside the wing cavities during initial manufacture. I believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    There was a B-36 on static display when Chanute AFB closed. It's gone now, as are others that were there. I wonder where those planes went.
    Remember it well, IIRC I think the B-36 was severely damaged by a tornado. Don't know what happened to it or the other airplanes.
    OldChap, RETSUPT99 and SatCong like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Remember it well, IIRC I think the B-36 was severely damaged by a tornado. Don't know what happened to it or the other airplanes.
    Google Maps shows some of them gathered at the first hangar as if awaiting disposal. The B-29 that sat opposite the B-36 is still parked on a street corner.
    msgt/ret and OldChap like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    A couple more you might like: B29s

"DOC"s first flight in decades

"DOC" and "FiFi" in formation

My Dad loved the old war birds. He helped restore a B17 many years ago.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Thought some of you might enjoy this video. I have sat in the command pilot's seat of this old bird many years ago when my uncle would take me out to General Dynamics. She sat just outside the plant gate. Great to see her restored, even if she'll never fly again.

Note the gray haired angels lovingly working on her!

She was the second famous plane I sat in the driver's seat of. The first was the Memphis Belle.
    As a pilot and as a volunteer who has worked to restore historic aircraft, thanks for posting this!

BTW, I'm only 70, and if anyone were to call me "old", I would challenge that person to a five mile running race followed by a game of concentration. (Yes, I would absolutely give head starts to millennials.)

airslot, msgt/ret and OldChap like this.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    A couple more you might like: B29s

"DOC"s first flight in decades

"DOC" and "FiFi" in formation

My Dad loved the old war birds. He helped restore a B17 many years ago.
    A couple of shots of Doc in the former Boeing hangar where he'd been built:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Never Underestimate What Old Guys Can Do-smitty-doc.jpg  

Never Underestimate What Old Guys Can Do-doc-new-engines.jpg  

Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by viney266 View Post
    Beautiful.
    I am so impressed` we have a B-29 in the air again. I never thought that would happen.

I am glad to see the 36 was restored and is in loving hands.

Also, cool to see that I am not the only one that enjoys the "experience" of sitting in a rare or amazing space of the world.

One of the highlights of my life was getting a private tour of Silver Hill near D.C. from a friend who worked there. I had a special request, and it was granted. I spent a few seconds with my butt firmly planted in the Enola Gay. No pics, but a memory that I have cherished for many years. Glad to share it with a fellow plan buff :)
    That's awesome, @viney266 ! I also had a private tour at Silver Hill (Paul Garber facility) back around, I dunno, late 1980's or maybe 1990 ? The Enola Gay was still there, and in the final stages of restoration. Boy, did we see a LOT of cool things there, including the Northrop N9M flying wing prototype, and the P-80 prototype (Lulu Belle) both freshly restored, at the time. What a place that was/is, and a few decades before the Udvar Hazy Center (which I have yet to see) was even a gleam in somebody's eye.
    viney266, msgt/ret and OldChap like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    A couple of shots of Doc in the former Boeing hangar where he'd been built:
    Those are awesome shots, @gasmitty ! I just LOVE these old airplanes !

Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    That's awesome, @viney266 ! I also had a private tour at Silver Hill (Paul Garber facility) back around, I dunno, late 1980's or maybe 1990 ? The Enola Gay was still there, and in the final stages of restoration. Boy, did we see a LOT of cool things there, including the Northrop N9M flying wing prototype, and the P-80 prototype (Lulu Belle) both freshly restored, at the time. What a place that was/is, and a few decades before the Udvar Hazy Center (which I have yet to see) was even a gleam in somebody's eye.
    Udvar Hazy is amazing. you will be overwhelmed. I was. The place is simply astounding. Sending you a PM about a little tip there.

Yes, I toured Silver hill in the early 90's as well. It was a true honour to get to go thru that place.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    $600,000+ change. I got to meet the original B-36 team at a CAF Airshow and the original plan was to restore it to flying condition and take it airshows like "FiFi". IIRC one of them said they had pledges of well over $2 million, but most of that was for a flying restoration. They had yet to secure pledges for operational expenses for putting it in the air. The fuel for those prop engines was Aviation Grade 100/130 (or whatever) octane. Same as "FiFi" uses. It cost around $600 just to start "FiFi". They were figuring it would cost $10-15 thousand for the B-36 to put on one demo flight. They also had a pretty tough fight with the DOD because, unlike the B-29, the B-36 was still classified as a strategic weapon.
    What an OUTSTANDING thread, @OldChap !

For those of us who were lucky enough to be around to see these giant aircraft, the sound and feel of them is burned into our brain cells.

The B-36 airplanes would depart Carswell AFB in Ft. Worth, and climb to altitude, heading straight North for God knows where. They flew directly over Oklahoma City, where I lived as a kid, and at great altitude. The aircraft were just a tiny speck, but the look of them was unmistakable, given the long wings, swept in front, and the distinctive, cigar-shaped fuselage. The B-36 had a very distinctive audio footprint. It didn't sound like anything else in the sky. It had a unique "hum" that you could hear and feel from 40,000 feet below.

One very interesting thing (to me, anyway) was that Convair's Chief Test flight, Beryl A. Erickson, did all the early test work on the B-36, then, maybe ten years later, was the first guy to fly the supersonic B-58, delta winged jet bomber. Just WOW !

Don't get me started !

The 36 was an impressive machine, alright. The complexity of those radials is astounding. I imagine flying one would be a real handful, though.
    OldChap likes this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    The 36 was an impressive machine, alright. The complexity of those radials is astounding. I imagine flying one would be a real handful, though.
    From this shot there was enough to keep the Flight Engineer busy.

Never Underestimate What Old Guys Can Do-b_36fe.jpg
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links