Never Underestimate What Old Guys Can Do

This is a discussion on Never Underestimate What Old Guys Can Do within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Thought some of you might enjoy this video. I have sat in the command pilot's seat of this old bird many years ago when my ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree166Likes

Thread: Never Underestimate What Old Guys Can Do

Thought some of you might enjoy this video. I have sat in the command pilot's seat of this old bird many years ago when my uncle would take me out to General Dynamics. She sat just outside the plant gate. Great to see her restored, even if she'll never fly again.

Note the gray haired angels lovingly working on her!

She was the second famous plane I sat in the driver's seat of. The first was the Memphis Belle.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

A beautiful thing.....right there.

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    Beautiful.
    I am so impressed` we have a B-29 in the air again. I never thought that would happen.

I am glad to see the 36 was restored and is in loving hands.

Also, cool to see that I am not the only one that enjoys the "experience" of sitting in a rare or amazing space of the world.

One of the highlights of my life was getting a private tour of Silver Hill near D.C. from a friend who worked there. I had a special request, and it was granted. I spent a few seconds with my butt firmly planted in the Enola Gay. No pics, but a memory that I have cherished for many years. Glad to share it with a fellow plan buff :)
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

VIP Member
    My uncle worked at that plant in the 60's. Designing communications antenna's for aircraft. He moved own to NASA during the moon missions. Stayed there till he retired, working on design of communications antenna of the space shuttle.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

I was stationed at Carswell AFB 1952 53 for about 10 months and well remember these awesome machines. with the 20m/m guns Also I remember the noise of the pre flight test.
    Can you imagine the noise from the 6 huge piston engines.

My aunt and uncle both worked at that plant in the 1950s. General Dynamics transferred them to San Diego in the 1960s.
    Snub44, Pete63, OldChap and 2 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired

Quote Originally Posted by redmc View Post
    I was stationed at Carswell AFB 1952 53 for about 10 months and well remember these awesome machines. with the 20m/m guns Also I remember the noise of the pre flight test.
    Can you imagine the noise from the 6 huge piston engines.
    Music to my ears, love the sound of a big radial and prop. Fantastic to see a B-36 restored to its former glory, I remember the one that was on static display at Chanute AFB and my amazement of its size.

Doesn’t sound quite as good mounted on a test stand but that is pure unadulterated power.

OD*, Pete63, redmc and 10 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

A true labor of love.
    viney266, OldChap and airslot like this.
    “Propaganda will never die out. Intelligent men must realize that propaganda is the modern instrument by which they can fight for productive ends and help to bring order out of chaos.”
    -- Edward Bernays

They are restoring a B-17 at the Salem airport. A good friend was working on it until he died in a car accident.

B-17 bomber in Salem to be restored | Model Airplanes

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/sto...ored/23015257/

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war...storation.html
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired

I Remember these flying over our house . Thanks for posting.

A project of that magnitude would require substantial funding!
    msgt/ret, OldChap and airslot like this.
    “Propaganda will never die out. Intelligent men must realize that propaganda is the modern instrument by which they can fight for productive ends and help to bring order out of chaos.”
    -- Edward Bernays

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    The mechanic in me stands in AWE at the complexity and raw power of those engines.
    msgt/ret, OldChap, OldVet and 4 others like this.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Senior Moderator
    Love it!

A guy I worked with one summer crewed a B-36 in the early days of the SAC. Catwalks in the wings so in-flight servicing of the engines at least theoretically possible ("Flight Engineer to Airman Jones, Number 6 has a misfire, replace plugs in cylinder 24..."). He also confirmed the stories I'd heard about crew being shot through the tunnel over the bomb bays if cabin pressure failed in cockpit or aft.

I was also fortunate a couple of years ago to get a personal tour of Doc, the freshly-restored B-29 as it was being worked on in Wichita. Untold thousands of volunteer hours go into these restorations!
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Six turnin' and 4 burnin'. If you've never seen the old Jimmy Stewart movie Strategic Air Command and you're an airplane lover, you need to watch it. Here is a little clip of all 10 engines running. If you have something you can crank the sound up on it will send cold chills down your back - guaranteed.

My uncle worked on the B-36, B-58, and F-111 at GD Fort Worth. He was an airframe design engineer. When you see the B-36's taking off to the south from Carswell in the movie, if you could turn the camera around to the starboard side, you'd see their house just slightly south of the flight path. The birds shook their house so much, my aunt used to store all her dishes on pads of old newspapers to keep them from vibrating off the cupboard and breaking. My uncle then got head-hunted by Lockheed and went to Marietta, GA and worked on the L-1011 and the C-5. He was the lead designer for the wing on the C-5.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Cool stuff for sure. There is nothing quite like the sound of a plane load of radials running up on the line - everything vibrates!
    OldChap, msgt/ret and airslot like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links