The power of the hand

The power of the hand

This is a discussion on The power of the hand within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As explained to a detective on morning at the coffee shop. Back story, Investigating a neighboring chiefs felony theft of little league funds to the ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: The power of the hand

The power of the hand

As explained to a detective on morning at the coffee shop.

Back story,
    Investigating a neighboring chiefs felony theft of little league funds to the tune of just over 40K in 3 years since he'd taken control of the money for the local little league the teams played on town grounds. He had the gnads to come to my house and threaten me with "you could be killed or disappear, ya know"? I told him he'd made a few mistakes. 1. Bringing business matter the house where my wife was now involved; 2. he hadn't gone to the local chief to discover if they knew me. 3. Threatening me as he just had. I suggested he go talk to the local chief, and if I found him on my property again, he'd be shot on sight.

He took my advice and went to the chief in my town asking about me after he left my place. One of the Sgt. friends of mine called me later to say he'd overheard the two chiefs talking and why was I investigating a chief, didn't I know that wouldn't end well.

The next Sunday morning, when I walked into the local coffee shop as was routine on the way to take the dog to the park, the local det. was sitting up back and asked me to come back and talk to him after I got the order. Upon sitting he said "you're making a lot of people nervous in town" I asked him if he was there at the chiefs request to tickle me for information about my investigation. He denied it, but that's what was going on.

I told him the chief had come to the house and threatened me trying to get me to back off. That wasn't going to work, because I held the power of the hand. He asked for me to explain that, he'd never heard it before. So it went like this,

you people think you have power being in positions to affect others lives, but it's through intimidation based on the badge and how you can make peoples lives a living hell if they run afoul of you. The real power of the world comes from the hand. Soldiers using their hands win wars, not politicians nor generals directing from behind the lines giving orders. That he only had presumed power, and if people weren't intimidated they had no real power over them.

That he didn't have the power of the hand, just the power of intimidation. That I had the power in my hands to break his neck, make him grow cold forever, but he couldn't do the same to me. Thus he has no real power over me, just a perceived power if I allowed it. He was quite taken aback at the "power of the hand" being the real power in the world, not perceived power through intimidation.

Then I got up, told him to tell the chief don't bother sending him, his lackey to find out where my head was at. Next time have the nads to ask me himself. He mentioned I made some people really nervous again. I told him that no one had any reason to worry about me until they discovered two things.

1. I'd sent the wife out of state to her fathers, and
    2. my house was up for sale.

He asked what that would mean. I told him if those two things came to pass, I'd recommend he take a weeks vacation and get out of town. He got the message loud and clear. And from that day on, the chief made sure his minions were kept in check and he wouldn't consider entering into a conspiracy with the chief I was investigating to make my life miserable.

So, there it is, the power of the hand is real power, not presumed power through intimidation,. Sure to bring a plethora of responses, fire away/

So, how does this story end? Anybody go to trial? Anybody killed? FBI get involved? And what about the dog, what did he do in the dog park? The suspense is killing me. If the hand has this much power, two hands must be awesome. Good story, please take this in jest. Just wanted to lighten up the mood of the day.
    AzQkr and GpTom like this.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Good job on confronting them.

For the most part, what you say is true...just remember, it doesn't work on everyone. Some people out here walking around are of the same mindset that you are and threats are made because they mean them. Just depends on who you are engaged with...and just because they send someone else to convey the threat...that does not mean they aren't serious.
    AzQkr, Mike1956, msgt/ret and 3 others like this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by ButtShot14 View Post
    So, how does this story end? Anybody go to trial? Anybody killed? FBI get involved? And what about the dog, what did he do in the dog park? The suspense is killing me. If the hand has this much power, two hands must be awesome. Good story, please take this in jest. Just wanted to lighten up the mood of the day.
    Dog did what dogs do at parks. Feds didn't need to get involved, I took the evidence to a buddy trooper still working for the AG's office. He was prosecuted and did a few years. Moral of the story, don't come to my house and threaten me, the attempted intimidation isn't going to go well

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    Good job on confronting them.

For the most part, what you say is true...just remember, it doesn't work on everyone. Some people out here walking around are of the same mindset that you are and threats are made because they mean them. Just depends on who you are engaged with...and just because they send someone else to convey the threat...that does not mean they aren't serious.
    Oh, I fully agree. Had a trooper threaten to have me killed after he found out I was investigating his connections with OC. Made him aware I'd placed 2 insurance policies on his butt, if I didn't make 2 calls every Sunday, within 48 hours the policies would be cashed. He didn't know what that meant, so I explained it to him. He backed off after discovering my affiliation/connections with SIONICS. I've been threatened a bunch, part and parcel to the work. I never took any of them lightly. Sometimes becoming preemptive

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Oh, I fully agree. Had a trooper threaten to have me killed after he found out I was investigating his connections with OC. Made him aware I'd placed 2 insurance policies on his butt, if I didn't make 2 calls every Sunday, within 48 hours the policies would be cashed. He didn't know what that meant, so I explained it to him. He backed off after discovering my affiliation/connections with SIONICS. I've been threatened a bunch, part and parcel to the work. I never took any of them lightly. Sometimes becoming preemptive
    So what your saying is that you put a contract out on a State Trooper. Got it.
    GpTom likes this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    So what your saying is that you put a contract out on a State Trooper. Got it.
    No, I put two insurance policies in place which guaranteed payment in full for his indiscretions. Up to him if the policies were paid or not.

Let me explain, for those who may not be fully up to speed on what an insurance policy entails. In this case, two letters mailed to two people in different states. One had the troopers name only, the other no name but where he could be found on any given day/night based on 6 months of tagging his movements. Envelopes are not opened until such time as I didn't contact them, and they couldn't get me within 48 hours.

The enveloped would be opened at that time, the two would connect, put the information together and use the 1K cash inside each to fly to Boston and make payment on the policy taken out on my life not being interrupted by OC asshats he'd send to do his dirty work.

Reaching out from the grave as it were should circumstances warrant it

Did not know you could buy life insurance policies on people without their knowledge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Rabbit212 and AzQkr like this.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pittpa View Post
    Did not know you could buy life insurance policies on people without their knowledge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Oh yeah I seen the commercials they will cover a Balloning let alone a convoluted mail/phone/plane trip policy. The premiums are steep and the deductibles are no joke but they will do it. You know their tag line Seen It Covered It.
    AzQkr, Chicagobill and hogdaddy like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

I was curious about this, so I looked it up. Appears to be that you must have consent of the subject of the policy, it this info is correct

https://lifeinsurancepost.com/17-thi...ent%20required

When Is Consent Required?

Always

https://www.consumer-action.org/arti..._policy_on_you

Even policies that don't require a medical exam will require the signature of the insured.
    AzQkr likes this.

This thread is odd.

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    This thread is very odd...
    Chicagobill likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post
    In what way odd? Odd that those with real power are those who have the power of life and death in their hands, odd you'd not thought about the differences between perceived and real power or odd that someone would educate an intimidator who perceived they have power over others because most people will cowtow to their presumed power?

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post
    At least the title of the thread was odd. I was scared to open it. With a title like "The power of the hand" I thought we were going to hear about some psycho-sexual TMI personal-problem confession!

I finally opened it when I didn't get shut down right away. I was so relieved it was just about macho death threats and stuff...
    Rabbit212 likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    At least the title of the thread was odd. I was scared to open it. With a title like "The power of the hand" I thought we were going to hear about some psycho-sexual TMI personal-problem confession!

I finally opened it when I didn't get shut down right away. I was so relieved it was just about macho death threats and stuff...
    Death threats are macho?
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links