Opinion of Pit Bulls - Page 6

Opinion of Pit Bulls

This is a discussion on Opinion of Pit Bulls within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have been to or reviewed reports for *countless* calls about aggressive dogs or dogs that have attacked people. Over a few decades those reports ...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree301Likes

Thread: Opinion of Pit Bulls

I have been to or reviewed reports for *countless* calls about aggressive dogs or dogs that have attacked people. Over a few decades those reports included dogs of every size, shape, color, and breed. But I will point out that we have had more troubles with pit bulls than any other specific breed out there. I cannot quantify it, I can only report that when we get called to aggressive dog or a dog that bit / attacked a human, more often than not they are pit bulls. And time and time again the owners are "shocked" because 'their pit bull is normally such a loving and wonderful family pet'. On a side note we don't get a lot of calls about rottweilers, dobermans, shepherds, mastiffs, or other so called aggressive breeds. So while I agree that any dog is capable of being aggressive, especially if the owner is an idiot, pit bulls seem to have an inherent condition that allows them to be triggered into behaving abnormally.

We have also had issues with locally puppy mills that will produce litter after litter of pit bulls using brothers & sisters to breed. Which I am sure if part of the issue here and all over the US.
    OldVet, Rockymonster, Nod and 1 others like this.

Stereotypes can be hard to overcome but with work it can be done....My Rot was a legend in my town.
    People i didn't know knew me and my dog and my truck....He went everywhere with me and met a lot of people.
    Sister likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    The neighbor's Chihuahuas are viscous, but I can place kick them about two houses down in an emergency.
    I'll hold.
    Name:  fb.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  16.0 KB
    Snub44, OD* and Havok like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by mlk18 View Post
    I have been to or reviewed reports for *countless* calls about aggressive dogs or dogs that have attacked people. Over a few decades those reports included dogs of every size, shape, color, and breed. But I will point out that we have had more troubles with pit bulls than any other specific breed out there. I cannot quantify it, I can only report that when we get called to aggressive dog or a dog that bit / attacked a human, more often than not they are pit bulls. And time and time again the owners are "shocked" because 'their pit bull is normally such a loving and wonderful family pet'. On a side note we don't get a lot of calls about rottweilers, dobermans, shepherds, mastiffs, or other so called aggressive breeds. So while I agree that any dog is capable of being aggressive, especially if the owner is an idiot, pit bulls seem to have an inherent condition that allows them to be triggered into behaving abnormally.

We have also had issues with locally puppy mills that will produce litter after litter of pit bulls using brothers & sisters to breed. Which I am sure if part of the issue here and all over the US.
    I would not disagree...However...I still believe only a certain % of people are capable of owning pits or large dogs in general.
    You should be able to control a large dog and many can't....I see all the time people being attack/bitten by dogs running at large.
    That is irresponsible and unacceptable....I have seen interviews of people saying their house dog never showed signs of aggression
    until the day it snapped...Their is a reason that dog snapped rather they want to admit it or not....Dogs are simple creatures that don't look
    for a reason to be mean but usually they have a reason to be.
    Sister likes this.

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    higher risk, more potential damage can be done than other breeds. I dont trust any of the aggressive protective breeds, because of the breed AND the unknown owner.

i'll let case by case be an exception if i get to know a particular dog and owner.
    Cornhusker95 likes this.

My alligator stays in the bathtub....But he is growing fast and i may have to release him
    Sister likes this.

...wondering if this is why our next door neighbors decided to move? The sign went up honestly within two months of us getting Jimbo? Hmmmm....I liked them and their 2yo gave Jimbo a treat and Jimbo was sooo gentle.

Oh well, on the plus side the other neighbors leave us alone and I donít have to tell anyone to get the heck off my porch any longer!

GOOD! The scary looking dog scared people away fine by me! [I may sound like OldVet, but I am no where near as cute as he is!)
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

EPSTEIN DIDNíT KILL HIMSELF

Our vet told us once that some breeds, especially mixes, can have issues caused by their brain trying to grow but it canít. Itís being compressed in the skull.
    Not saying itís the answer for all, but might explain behavioral changes in some.

Been bit a few times but only attacked once. Dang poodles can be meaner than all getout.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by sammeow View Post
    It ain't the breed, it's the owners.

Too many pibbles are owned by total jackalopes.
    They think it's ok to own but not properly train a dog.
    I don't believe the chart is correct as quite a lot of rotties and others mixes are randomly referred to as pits.
    Their jaw strength is unreal.
    Interesting comparison in bite force:
    https://topdogtips.com/dogs-strongest-bite-force/
    English Bulldog 210 psi (typical underbite renders front canines less efficient)
    Pitbull 235 psi
    German Shepherd 238 psi
    Rottweiler 328 psi
    English Mastiff 552 psi (Surprising, good thing Mastiffs are typically laid back)
    Cane Corso 700 psi
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    That is fine and dandy....But do we want to know how we got to the results or just accept the results?
    Do we want to talk about solving the problem and how to make it less of a problem or just say it is what it is?
    Do you not think i can't come up with the obvious that Pits and Rotts are the chosen breeds for gang bangers/dealers/fighting rings
    or that people get in over their head and do not take responsibility for caring and owning them?

I'm a dog person, I have a doberman. I really don't want to see this trend with pits continue, much less have some new canine restriction passed down because people can't look past their own pit bull and or can't be responsible.

I Google'd "pit bull" and the news returns of recent attacks are just too many. Some therapy comfort dog went after a child the other day (lawsuit just announced). In most cases, the owner is shocked it could happen, they've never seen their dog do this before, it's sweet and gentle, etc etc etc. The chimpanzee who ate that woman's face a few years ago, the one who was raised since infancy, was sweet and gentle too. Just like the fool who years ago, decided to sneak out and swim with the killer whale at Sea world or where ever, the whale did something and the guy drowned. These are animals, and owners and handlers need to understand the risk of such pets.
    Snub44, Bikenut and Cornhusker95 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sammeow View Post
    Our vet told us once that some breeds, especially mixes, can have issues caused by their brain trying to grow but it canít. Itís being compressed in the skull.
    Not saying itís the answer for all, but might explain behavioral changes in some.

Been bit a few times but only attacked once. Dang poodles can be meaner than all getout.

....the genes of aggressive breeds have been selected so that certain postures and behaviors just simply feel good. These dogs will seek opportunities to execute the behaviors they have been bred for. Because these behaviors are internally motivated and rewarded, they are not subject to extinction. Learning and socialization do not prevent these dogsí innate behaviors from appearing

https://www.animals24-7.org/2015/11/...gressive-dogs/

Distinguished Member Array xXxHeavy's Avatar
    I like all dogs....sorry the Pits became such a racially associated breed, especially in my area....sorry for the breed. A while back I was standing between two women and their dogs as we talked...two mature male german shephards...in the next blink of an eye all hell broke loose ... I grabbed each dog by it's collar, one in the left hand and one in the right as they stood up in front of me on their hind legs trying to get at one another, spitting, growling and snapping....wonder I wasn't bit but the owners of each dog both women couldn't even pull them back on their leashes let alone control them....there I was, one in each hand trying to keep them apart....couple of times I felt the air of snapping jaws just past my hands... finally they got us separated.....yup, just Eye Contact was enough....lucky no one or animal was hurt but ya don't need to bring your dog around any strange dog just to be sociable....it can happen that fast with no warning and usually does.

It doesn't happen often but when someone conjures up the nerve to ask if they can pet Otto, I tell then he's not "Pet Friendly" thank you.....most of the time they just turn around or cross the street when they see him coming.
    Why did the Moron buy a ladder...... he's takin' his case to a higher court.

Who was it that said, " I wasn't planning on going for a run today.....then the Game Wardens came out of nowhere".

I want a Cane Corso, then I only have to worry about Bears, not other dogs...
    OD* likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array xXxHeavy's Avatar
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog......you know that.
    OD* likes this.
    Why did the Moron buy a ladder...... he's takin' his case to a higher court.

Who was it that said, " I wasn't planning on going for a run today.....then the Game Wardens came out of nowhere".

Opinion of Pit Bulls-41af9cb5-ea55-47af-9c38-e3017e1b0dda.jpeg
    @Nifty ; You said you had a Dobie, this one is half Dobie half Pit. What would be your call, let him live or die?

heís scared of both the cats btw, a ďmean dogĒ would have eaten them both by now.

I agree with everyone that canít stand people that do not make dogs behave and will say it again, Iíve been attacked/bitten more than once.

I believe that ANY dog, ANY breed that is NOT RELATED [ie; in-breed] can be raised into a fine loving family member as long as the dog realized that they are not alpha.
    Cornhusker95 and OD* like this.
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

EPSTEIN DIDNíT KILL HIMSELF

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Sponsored Links