Death Wish

Death Wish

This is a discussion on Death Wish within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Last night I watched the original version of the film, "Death Wish" with Charles Bronson, after seeing it once over 30 years ago. I was ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Death Wish

Death Wish

Last night I watched the original version of the film, "Death Wish" with Charles Bronson, after seeing it once over 30 years ago. I was not a gun person at the time. What prompted me was watching the updated version with Bruce Willis, a few weeks ago. Watching the scene in the original film where Bronson's on screen wife is murdered and his daughter sexually assaulted was still disturbing and difficult to take.

What struck me about the older film, however, is how much the updated version with Bruce Willis was "sanitized." In the original film, Bronson's character travels to Arizona where he shoots a handgun for the first time many years after he was in the military. His host at the shooting range tells him how criminals in Arizona are dealt with. Similarly, the police, DA, and the head of the police commission in the original film note how crime is way down as the results of Bronson's vigilante's characters actions. Political correctness is definitely apparent in the current version. If you have never seen the original film, it's worth a look.

CG11, Gabill, Havok and 9 others like this.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants." Thomas Jefferson
    NRA Life Member (proud to be deplorable & a dreg of society)

Two handed shooting's come a long way since that film was made.
    Gabill and G26Raven like this.

VIP Member
    Hollyweird must put their politically correct spin on everything, whether it's entertainment or the news - or is there a difference now???
    So who is this Will that everybody fires at, what did he do, and how come he's not dead yet??

Yeah, the new version was decidedly slanted anti 2nd
    G26Raven and wizard7mm08 like this.
    https://www.facebook.com/Appalachian...125519/?ref=hl
    I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

I love the original, the new remake with Bruce Willis sucked. Watch the original and the 32 caliber looks pretty impressive. I like how in the original, Paul Curzy doesn't hunt down his wife and daughter's attackers, he just puts himself into positions for some vigilante justice. The original is also available on Amazon Prime right now.

Well, I'm off to Emmet's fix'it shop...to fix Emmet.

Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar
    I liked all of the original Death Wish series. I just watched the Willis version a couple of weeks ago and I liked it also. The Willis version makes me wonder if they're going to do at least a trilogy for the new Death Wish. Interesting, I haven't heard Hollywood complain much about gun violence in the movies, either past or present. I saw a YouTube video with Willis being interviewed and it seemed that he was pro-2A.
    airslot, OldChap, Gabill and 1 others like this.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

“Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.” - Spock - Star Trek VI : The Undiscovered Country

G26Raven and OldChap like this.
    I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Meh, I'm not a huge fan of the old or new one. Harry Brown is much better.

I do like Bronson though; Great Escape, Once Upon a Time in the West, 10 to Midnight.

One of the original "tough guy" actors that was real. Actors like Caine and Niven, Audie Murphy, Jimmy Stewart and Kirk Douglas, Eastwood, McQueen, Robards, Hank Fonda, Jim Garner and Borgnine and Strode...there were a bunch of them back then.
    airslot, Instymp, OldChap and 6 others like this.

I wonder how many of the younger generation have a clue their beliefs and opinions are being intentionally influenced by TV shows and movies that have become thinly disguised leftist liberal propaganda?
    Risasi, NECCdude, OldChap and 2 others like this.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    I don't think it was anti-2nd at all. Why would you say that. It wasn't the masculine tour-de-force like the 1st, but it I thought it was appropriately adopted for the times. In the end - it still had the same message - want protection, get a gun. It definitely was more personal than the original commentary on making the world better by taking out some thugs.
    CDW4ME and maxwell97 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Two handed shooting's come a long way since that film was made.
    I'm not sure if that is true or not. Certainly a great many more shooters were more highly skilled in off-hand (one hand) shooting then than they are now. The big benefit of two handed shooting is that it allows older shooters to shoot as well as they could have when they were young and the hands didn't shake!

@G26Raven I find the huge majority of modern re-makes suffer from the same brainless, drug soaked, Hollyweird bungling.

BTW...This is an NRA 50 yard target (B-6). I shot many groups with 9 of 10 shots in the 10 or X ring. The diameter of the black bullseye is 8 inches.

Death Wish-nra_b_6c_1.png
    G26Raven and msgt/ret like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

I saw the original Deathwish in our local theater when it premiered. Damn, I must be getting old??? I liked the original version better. BTW, in the original version, there was a young unknown actor that played one of the "Freaks" that raped Bronson's wife and daughter. That's Jeff Goldblum and it was his first of many acting jobs. Just a bit of movie trivia....---Sturgis
    S&W 340 M&P .357
    S&W 640 and S&W 64 .38 Spl
    Glock19 9mm
    S&W M&P 45C
    Mossberg 500
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by gnius View Post
    I don't think it was anti-2nd at all. Why would you say that. It wasn't the masculine tour-de-force like the 1st, but it I thought it was appropriately adopted for the times. In the end - it still had the same message - want protection, get a gun. It definitely was more personal than the original commentary on making the world better by taking out some thugs.
    Re-watch it sometime and listen to the constant advice from other characters, you may change your mind. Even this version of the protagonist had qualms about owning a gun. It wasn't blatant but the sentiment was there and very apparent.
    OldChap and Gabill like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    I wonder how many of the younger generation have a clue their beliefs and opinions are being intentionally influenced by TV shows and movies that have become thinly disguised leftist liberal propaganda?
    Look at my comment, even members of this forum are fooled by the vailed anti-gun sentiment.
    OldChap and Struckat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Re-watch it sometime and listen to the constant advice from other characters, you may change your mind. Even this version of the protagonist had qualms about owning a gun. It wasn't blatant but the sentiment was there and very apparent.
    I didn't get that impression at all. I can't think of a single line that hinted at an anti-gun bias.

I was more surprised by the "sanitization" in terms of the violence. The director is known for extremely gory shock films, and there was really only one scene that went beyond a typical action movie in terms of graphic violence.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links