The Highwaymen Mini Review - Page 10

The Highwaymen Mini Review

This is a discussion on The Highwaymen Mini Review within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by matthew03 I though it odd they always carried their Colt SA's when going concealed in the movie. I remember cowboys in the ...

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree710Likes

Thread: The Highwaymen Mini Review

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    I though it odd they always carried their Colt SA's when going concealed in the movie.
    I remember cowboys in the 1950's who worked ranches in West Texas who daily carried a Colt SAA in a western holster rig. Of course, back then, unlike today, you couldn't carry any pistol, so concealed was just something you never saw in town. I don't know if they were just good at concealing, or just didn't ever carry.

The SAA was enormously popular in Texas - and still is. If we had a "State Gun" it would probably be the Colt Single Action Army in .45 Long Colt.
    airslot, OD*, Snub44 and 3 others like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

VIP Member
    Old Lucky | Sheriff Jim Wilson I guess it ain't in the Museum, after all.
    airslot, OD*, OldChap and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I remember cowboys in the 1950's who worked ranches in West Texas who daily carried a Colt SAA in a western holster rig. Of course, back then, unlike today, you couldn't carry any pistol, so concealed was just something you never saw in town. I don't know if they were just good at concealing, or just didn't ever carry.

The SAA was enormously popular in Texas - and still is. If we had a "State Gun" it would probably be the Colt Single Action Army in .45 Long Colt.
    Back in about '90, I went to Amarillo for a Bball tournament...my wife coached...and we ate at a Denny's for breakfast. An old grey-haired fella dressed in blue denim/boots sat at the counter and ate...with his SAA on his hip in a simple Threeperson's-type holster. No badge in evidence but nobody seemed to notice. I'd'a loved to drunk coffee with that old boy awhile...but had to hurry.Made sure my 2 boys saw his gun, though, and we talked about who he might have been.
    OD*, airslot, OldChap and 1 others like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    Old Lucky | Sheriff Jim Wilson I guess it ain't in the Museum, after all.
    It's not, Old Lucky & his Remington Model 8, the one with the extended magazine, is supposedly in a private collection.

I guess I should have opened your link.
    Snub44, Tstone and OldChap like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member
    Must be nice to be able to collect history like that...and still have grocery money!
    OD*, airslot, OldChap and 3 others like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Must be nice to be able to collect history like that...and still have grocery money!
    I wouldn't know.
    Snub44, airslot, OldChap and 3 others like this.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.

NRA Patron Member

About those two videos. The recounting of the events after the raid on the Brite ranch (2nd video) and subsequent tracking of the raiders into Mexico and ambush of same was near a place known as Los Pilares in the northern state of Chihuahua. The Youtube video named the place as Kendall (I think). The ambush of the raiders took place in a canyon near Los Pilares. Fits the description in the Costner movie. I think this is the so-called "Candelaria" raid Maney talked about in the movie. Locations along the border are notoriously difficult for non-residents to understand, and even more difficult to get the name and real location right. The locals know that even today, there really are no reliable maps that you want to trust your life to.

I have been to Candelaria, which is a village on the Texas side of the Rio Grande, and not in Mexico. I have also been to Porvenir, which is a village on the Mexican side. Los Pilares is a bit deeper into Mexico and is southwest of Valentine Texas - a straight shot into Mexico if you were fleeing from a raid on the Brite ranch.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qyb02

One interesting thing I had completely forgotten. Mrs. OldChap and I were invited to Christmas dinner with the Brite family at their Marfa home on December 25th, 1987 - 70 years to the day after the terrible raid on the ranch headquarters. It wasn't until years later that I understood the prayers offered at the huge table when I read about the Brite raid.

@Snub44 It sometimes amazing how close we can come to real history. No way to tell, but the old guy might have been a retired Ranger, or even an active duty one (although I think many of the old timers were being forced out around then). Then again, he might have been a retired Sheriff or Deputy. Who knows? All the Rangers I knew back in that time period dressed in boots, jeans or western slacks, western shirts, a shoestring tie, and a Stetson. You could tell a Ranger a mile away.
    Tstone, airslot and OD* like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    It's not, Old Lucky & his Remington Model 8, the one with the extended magazine, is supposedly in a private collection.

I guess I should have opened your link.
    Looking at the labels, I don't think these are actually Hamer's (?) but I wonder if he had more than one Monitor?

The Highwaymen Mini Review-20120907_110217.jpg

The label says this was a gift from Joaquin Jackson - which is amazing. I knew Joaquin and never knew he had a Monitor!
    airslot, matthew03 and OD* like this.

VIP Member
    About those two videos. The recounting of the events after the raid on the Brite ranch (2nd video) and subsequent tracking of the raiders into Mexico and ambush of same was near a place known as Los Pilares in the northern state of Chihuahua. The Youtube video named the place as Kendall (I think). The ambush of the raiders took place in a canyon near Los Pilares. Fits the description in the Costner movie. I think this is the so-called "Candelaria" raid Maney talked about in the movie. Locations along the border are notoriously difficult for non-residents to understand, and even more difficult to get the name and real location right. The locals know that even today, there really are no reliable maps that you want to trust your life to.

I have been to Candelaria, which is a village on the Texas side of the Rio Grande, and not in Mexico. I have also been to Porvenir, which is a village on the Mexican side. Los Pilares is a bit deeper into Mexico and is southwest of Valentine Texas - a straight shot into Mexico if you were fleeing from a raid on the Brite ranch.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qyb02

One interesting thing I had completely forgotten. Mrs. OldChap and I were invited to Christmas dinner with the Brite family at their Marfa home on December 25th, 1987 - 70 years to the day after the terrible raid on the ranch headquarters. It wasn't until years later that I understood the prayers offered at the huge table when I read about the Brite raid.

@Snub44 It sometimes amazing how close we can come to real history. No way to tell, but the old guy might have been a retired Ranger, or even an active duty one (although I think many of the old timers were being forced out around then). Then again, he might have been a retired Sheriff or Deputy. Who knows? All the Rangers I knew back in that time period dressed in boots, jeans or western slacks, western shirts, a shoestring tie, and a Stetson. You could tell a Ranger a mile away.

Last one I met was denim jacket over jeans, western shirt open at the neck, and a 1911 on the belt...pumpin' gas on 35 in Carrolton on a nasty cold winter day...grey hair and mustache...quiet...eyes spoke right out loud. We didn't exchange much, but he grinned when I asked him if he got better mileage from his horse...and told him to be careful out there. I'd bet my lunch he was a Ranger. Made me feel good about just knowing he was out there. I love grey hair and gun metal...it usually comes with a made-up mind.
    OldChap, airslot, OD* and 1 others like this.

Last one I met was denim jacket over jeans, western shirt open at the neck, and a 1911 on the belt...pumpin' gas on 35 in Carrolton on a nasty cold winter day...grey hair and mustache...quiet...eyes spoke right out loud. We didn't exchange much, but he grinned when I asked him if he got better mileage from his horse...and told him to be careful out there. I'd bet my lunch he was a Ranger. Made me feel good about just knowing he was out there. I love grey hair and gun metal...it usually comes with a made-up mind.
    Yup. Almost certainly a Ranger. The typical Texas Sheriff doesn't wear a gun too often any more, but when he does, it is usually a 1911 in a nice tooled holster. Most dress sort of like Rangers used to.
    matthew03, airslot, OD* and 2 others like this.

VIP Member
    This guy's clothes were well-worn...and his boots...kinda tired-lookin' but with enough life left in 'em to make it awhile longer. He was no politician.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Looking at the labels, I don't think these are actually Hamer's (?) but I wonder if he had more than one Monitor?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120907_110217.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	414.4 KB 
ID:	292674

The label says this was a gift from Joaquin Jackson - which is amazing. I knew Joaquin and never knew he had a Monitor!
    Very well could have.

NRA Patron Member

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    Well, Brother Mil, that sounds like a ringing endorsement !
    It was merely alright to me Charlie. Nothing spectacular that I feel I need to watch it again. Been there, done that, I'm good!

Quote Originally Posted by Skidboot View Post
    Based on everything I read here, I decided to give this movie a watch. I agree with Militant; it was alright.
    Without regard to its historical accuracy, I found it fairly slow and plodding. None of the characters were especially engaging, and I kept wishing they'd just hurry up and shoot B&C.
    Just my opinion.
    I felt the same way @Skidboot .
    Rock and Glock and OldChap like this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

Grocery money ?
    What's that ???
    OD*, airslot, Snub44 and 2 others like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post

Grocery money ?
    What's that ???
    Itís what you use to buy bullets.
    OD*, Snub44, PhaedrusIV and 3 others like this.

Sister says "There are Angels walking among us. If they're mean they're not Angels and you can shoot them"

Black Rifles Matter

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Sponsored Links