The Highwaymen Mini Review - Page 11

The Highwaymen Mini Review

This is a discussion on The Highwaymen Mini Review within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The wife and I finally streamed it. Very good, not a lot of action more of a buddy cop, wise cop beats the new guys ...

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree710Likes

Thread: The Highwaymen Mini Review

The wife and I finally streamed it. Very good, not a lot of action more of a buddy cop, wise cop beats the new guys movie.
    Really liked that they didn't show Bonnie and Clyde much, just glimpses and pieces. Kind of made the whole movie from the hunter LEO perspective that was fresh.
    The one thing the wife picked up on was as they stopped at the truck with Hamer standing in front, she saw Bonnie reach for the center of the car where there was a "sandwich". Making it look as if she was going to satisfy the munchies. I laughed figuring it was just a little sub-conscious piece by the director., maybe trying to portray them as somewhat human? I did respond to her statement with those two's history I guarantee she wasn't going for a sandwich but a gun next to or under it and wisely the LEO's didn't hesitate.
    Overall a good movie.
    OD*, craze, Tstone and 1 others like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pskys2 View Post
    The wife and I finally streamed it. Very good, not a lot of action more of a buddy cop, wise cop beats the new guys movie.
    Really liked that they didn't show Bonnie and Clyde much, just glimpses and pieces. Kind of made the whole movie from the hunter LEO perspective that was fresh.
    The one thing the wife picked up on was as they stopped at the truck with Hamer standing in front, she saw Bonnie reach for the center of the car where there was a "sandwich". Making it look as if she was going to satisfy the munchies. I laughed figuring it was just a little sub-conscious piece by the director., maybe trying to portray them as somewhat human? I did respond to her statement with those two's history I guarantee she wasn't going for a sandwich but a gun next to or under it and wisely the LEO's didn't hesitate.
    Overall a good movie.
    The director may have done that for the real history buffs, Bonnie had a Detective Special taped to the inside of her thigh with white medical tape.

Name:  3269104_1.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  14.3 KB
    Last edited by OD*; April 8th, 2019 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Spellin'/grammar
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

OD*
    Senior Moderator

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.

NRA Patron Member

Senior Moderator
    Nancy and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie tonight. We enjoyed the focus on the hunt and the tracking, and the characters, rather than the criminals. The weapons were fun, the automobiles and the sets and costumes great. The wide open vistas of west Texas and Oklahoma were perfect, particularly the storm clouds and skies.

Now I want to read more about the Rangers.
    OD*, PhaedrusIV, airslot and 3 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by pskys2 View Post
    Overall a good movie.
    Interesting how people pick up on different things. I watched it last weekend and never saw a sandwich, but did see her reach for a gun. I watched the final shootout just now on Youtube and there is a sandwich on her lap and one hand by the sandwich, but the other hand was most certainly reaching for something else. Her mind might have been on lunch a few seconds before, but she was about to postpone.
    OD*, Tstone, OldChap and 1 others like this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Senior Moderator
    @OldChap : Much as you related. That would be interesting to spend Christmas Eve there! Wow!

Mrs. OldChap and I were invited to Christmas dinner with the Brite family at their Marfa home on December 25th, 1987 - 70 years to the day after the terrible raid on the ranch headquarters. It wasn't until years later that I understood the prayers offered at the huge table when I read about the Brite raid.
    Brite Ranch Raid

The Brite Ranch raid was an incident that occurred on Christmas day 1917, in which Mexican raiders crossed the Rio Grande border and attacked a ranch in Presidio County, Texas. At the time the raiders were thought to be Villistas, as they were responsible for several other previous incursions into American territory, though other accounts say that some Carrancistas were involved as well.[3] During the raid the Mexicans murdered three people, robbed a general store and rode back to Chihuahua under pursuit by a motorized posse and troops of the United States Army 8th Cavalry. The Americans fought a running battle with the Mexicans on December 26 that resulted in the deaths of several raiders and the recovery of some stolen property, but another more violent episode was directly caused by the raid when on January 27, 1918, a force of Texas Rangers executed 15 Mexicans in what became known as the Porvenir Massacre.

Porvenir Massacre (1918)

The Porvenir massacre was an incident on January 28, 1918 outside the village of Porvenir in Presidio County, Texas, in which Texas Rangers, U.S. Cavalry soldiers, and local ranchers killed 15 unarmed Mexican villagers, both men and boys.[1] The Texas Rangers Company B was sent to the area to stop banditry after the Brite Ranch raid. Despite having no evidence that the Porvenir villagers were involved in recent thefts or the killings of ranchers, the Rangers separated fifteen men and boys from the rest of the village and shot them on a nearby hill.
    OldChap likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Looks like there maybe a new Bonnie & Clyde movie in the future. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-a-gun-1156345

NRA Patron Member

@Rock and Glock There are two "standard" books on the subject by Mike Cox:

Name:  51v7nQoCmEL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  41.7 KB

There are two volumes: from the beginning to 1900, and 1900 to the present. Both books are excellent, but keep in mind they are actually history, so they weren't written to entertain so much - though they entertain by being fascinating.

He has another popular book entitled "The Texas Rangers", but I haven't read it in quite a while. I remember it being excellent - as all his work are.

I just acquired another book by Mike entitled "Gunfights and Sites in Texas Ranger History" that is fascinating (I'm told) as it is one of those "battlefields yesterday and today" kind of books. I love exploring old battlefields.
    OD*, Rock and Glock and Tstone like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    "The Men Who Wear The Star" by Charles M. Robinson III, isn't bad.
    OldChap and Rock and Glock like this.

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    "The Men Who Wear The Star" by Charles M. Robinson III, isn't bad.
    Thanks...I'll have to check that one out. You know I find it strange that no one ever talks about the Arizona Rangers. They don't have as long and colorful a history as their Texas brethren, but they made a significant contribution to the settlement and eventual statehood of Arizona. I don't know much about their history at all. Sounds like it might be a good winter's (well no, a rainy late summer - December) read.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Thanks...I'll have to check that one out. You know I find it strange that no one ever talks about the Arizona Rangers. They don't have as long and colorful a history as their Texas brethren, but they made a significant contribution to the settlement and eventual statehood of Arizona. I don't know much about their history at all. Sounds like it might be a good winter's (well no, a rainy late summer - December) read.
    That's a good question. I don't believe they are still a "stand alone" agency anymore, I think they're similar to reservist now.
    OldChap and Rock and Glock like this.

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Looks like there maybe a new Bonnie & Clyde movie in the future. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-a-gun-1156345
    If they make it, I'll watch it.
    OD* likes this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tstone View Post
    If they make it, I'll watch it.
    Tstone likes this.

NRA Patron Member

I haven't read through all the posts but I'm pretty sure has mentioned my biggest gripe.

NO HOLSTERS!

Give me a break, these seasoned lawmen consistently move about and just stick their guns down their pants. Baloney!

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    We watched last night on Netflix. All in all I found it entertaining and historically I would give it a B+ or maybe an A-. It looks like they dressed up a few scenes to make it more entertaining, but overall they got a lot of the history correct - at least so far as we know.

They pretty much got the guns right - including the rare Colt Monitor, which I believe without looking it up, was a version of the BAR designed for the FBI. Colt only made 125 Monitors and only 24 were sold to law enforcement or other official agencies. Of course, they cut some corners by having Hamer go into a gun store and buy one off the shelf.

Anyway. The movie is better than a huge number of absolutely garbage "historical dramas" and I think you might enjoy it.

Manos Arribas or maybe thumbs up would be better.

Mods: I think I saw an older thread on this, but I couldn't find it.
    The NFA Act of 1934 went into effect on June 26th 1934, so theoretically, and up until that date, you could walk into a gun shop, or other store that sold a Thompson, B A R or other item, and walk out with it. Bonnie and Clyde were killed in May or 1934.... I just loved the way Harmon pointed to the weapons and had the clerks place them on the counters, THEN, walking out to his car, with them in their arms ....
    OldChap, OD* and Tstone like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Sponsored Links