The Highwaymen Mini Review - Page 12

The Highwaymen Mini Review

This is a discussion on The Highwaymen Mini Review within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by CLASS3NH The NFA Act of 1934 went into effect on June 26th 1934, so theoretically, and up until that date, you could ...

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree710Likes

Thread: The Highwaymen Mini Review

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    The NFA Act of 1934 went into effect on June 26th 1934, so theoretically, and up until that date, you could walk into a gun shop, or other store that sold a Thompson, B A R or other item, and walk out with it. Bonnie and Clyde were killed in May or 1934.... I just loved the way Harmon pointed to the weapons and had the clerks place them on the counters, THEN, walking out to his car, with them in their arms ....
    That is true. However, the Colt Monitor was never offered for sale to the public. It was sold primarily to the FBI. When other law enforcement agencies decided they wanted one, they were sold, I presume on a first come, first served basis. I believe I saw where they would ship one to a gun store, but only for someone who had already placed an order to pick up.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post
    I haven't read through all the posts but I'm pretty sure has mentioned my biggest gripe.

NO HOLSTERS!

Give me a break, these seasoned lawmen consistently move about and just stick their guns down their pants. Baloney!
    It would be interesting to know. I have been researching since I first read "I am Frank Hamer" as to what sorts of holsters he an Maney may have used while in street clothes, as of yet, I have found no reference to anything.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member
    I found one, and a few rabbit trails to search down... https://www.google.com/search?q=fran...w=1536&bih=778
    OldChap, OD*, Tstone and 1 others like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    I found one, and a few rabbit trails to search down... https://www.google.com/search?q=fran...w=1536&bih=778
    The one they show I know he carried with a gun belt, but in none of the pictures I have seen is he wearing any kind of holster with his suit.

The Highwaymen Mini Review-52347603_375910176297401_5130005140967511953_n.jpg

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.

NRA Patron Member

When I grew up in the early 1950's I don't remember seeing too many holsters - certainly nothing like we have today. There were belt holsters and shoulder holsters. I even saw a few military flap-lid holsters. In fact, that military holster is all I saw for a 1911 until maybe the late 50's early 60's. Holsters were all hand built back then and I don't ever remember seeing anything like a "concealment" holster.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

VIP Member
    Pockets were much bigger then, coat and pants...and shoulder holsters were the LEO rage. Wonder what old Frank would have said to a Level XYZ "security" holster?
    OD* and Rock and Glock like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    The one they show I know he carried with a gun belt, but in none of the pictures I have seen is he wearing any kind of holster with his suit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	52347603_375910176297401_5130005140967511953_n.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	293056
    That's not a true gunbelt...it's a rifle cartridge belt...being used as a gunbelt...tells you what he may have preferred to have plenty of ammo for, don't it. That picture sure looks like Lee Marvin...and Kevin Costner...is that Hamer?
    OD* and Rock and Glock like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    When I grew up in the early 1950's I don't remember seeing too many holsters - certainly nothing like we have today. There were belt holsters and shoulder holsters. I even saw a few military flap-lid holsters. In fact, that military holster is all I saw for a 1911 until maybe the late 50's early 60's. Holsters were all hand built back then and I don't ever remember seeing anything like a "concealment" holster.
    I know with the 1911, rubber bans & leather thongs were fairly popular holsters.

The Highwaymen Mini Review-texas_ranger_lo.jpg

Name:  stmiller_0730b.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  18.5 KB

Still from "Crime Story" Dennis Farina aka Lt. Mike Torello

Name:  Rubber bands.png
Views: 16
Size:  82.8 KB

NRA Patron Member

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    That's not a true gunbelt...it's a rifle cartridge belt...being used as a gunbelt...tells you what he may have preferred to have plenty of ammo for, don't it. That picture sure looks like Lee Marvin...and Kevin Costner...is that Hamer?
    Look through these pictures, you will find every one of the four. Trust me, I would not post a picture of Frank Hamer knowing it wasn't Frank Hamer.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=10...mg.FWklhK7vbto
    Tstone and Rock and Glock like this.

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member
    Lotta folks cursed that grip safety...paid to have it pinned...never knew ONE time it caused a problem. I think it's a great idea, liked it on the OLD Browning .380...great for a pocket gun. Pockets back then were made stronger, too, and could have easily carried a 1911 or .45 revolver. They weren't as "sophisticated" as modern folks seem to be.
    OD*, Rock and Glock and OldChap like this.

VIP Member
    Look through these pictures, you will find every one of the four. Trust me, I would not post a picture of Frank Hamer knowing it wasn't Frank Hamer.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=10...mg.FWklhK7vbto
    Who four? I was lookin' at the belts, and glanced at the face and thought it looked like Lee Marvin...done since looked it up to see it's Costner...who got OLD. No, I didn't think the old man on the mountain was giving us bad G2...not at all.
    OD*, Rock and Glock and OldChap like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Who four? I was lookin' at the belts, and glanced at the face and thought it looked like Lee Marvin...done since looked it up to see it's Costner...who got OLD. No, I didn't think the old man on the mountain was giving us bad G2...not at all.
    I meant the four pictures used, that I posted. They can all be found, the one of Costner, the other three are of Frank.

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member
    I meant the four pictures used, that I posted. They can all be found, the one of Costner, the other three are of Frank.
    With only one face amongst 'em...I didn't think of that.
    Rock and Glock and OldChap like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Gotcha.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

NRA Patron Member

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Lotta folks cursed that grip safety...paid to have it pinned...never knew ONE time it caused a problem. I think it's a great idea, liked it on the OLD Browning .380...great for a pocket gun. Pockets back then were made stronger, too, and could have easily carried a 1911 or .45 revolver. They weren't as "sophisticated" as modern folks seem to be.

Thongs and rubber bands were two fold, depressed the grip safety, and made the 1911 more secure carrying Mexican. I've seen it done with revolvers too.

NRA Patron Member

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Sponsored Links