The Highwaymen Mini Review - Page 4

The Highwaymen Mini Review

This is a discussion on The Highwaymen Mini Review within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Tstone There were a lot of inaccuracies in this film, including several scenes that were completely fabricated...but I liked it anyway. I ...

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree710Likes

Thread: The Highwaymen Mini Review

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tstone View Post
    There were a lot of inaccuracies in this film, including several scenes that were completely fabricated...but I liked it anyway.
    I really disliked how they portrayed Maney, he was not a down an out drunk, the man was working for the Texas Highway Patrol when Hamer recruited him.
    Tstone, OldChap, Old Man and 2 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    In the magazine “Handguns for Sport and Defense”, March 1992 issue, Jim Wilson tells of an interview with Frank Hamer Jr. in which Mr. Hamer confirms that his father’s Colt was indeed a Super.38. Hamer was a gun-guy, no doubt in my mind he'd use a handgun known to penetrate those thick old car bodies. According other sources, the Super was the gun Hamer had in his hand when he stepped out of the bushes. Who knows.

We do know, thanks to Zane Grey's writings, Hamer also carried a 1911 (which would have been a .45acp) in addition to Old Lucky as early as 1915.
    I don't think we'll ever know for sure what really went down. I did find the real Monitor and Model 8 on display at the Ranger Museum. I haven't found Old Lucky or the 38 Super though. I think I might contact a Ranger friend and see if he knows anything.

Gives us old retired folks something to do.

Forgot to mention. The Highway Department's Patrol Division became the Highway Patrol, which we now know as the DPS.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

I really disliked how they portrayed Maney, he was not a down an out drunk, the man was working for the Texas Highway Patrol when Hamer recruited him.
    It's difficult to understand how they made the effort to portray Hamer more realistically, but then got so much wrong. However, not being a screen writer, or a director, I'm not sure I could've done it better.

Senior Member Array Petroleum 1's Avatar
    The Colt Monitor was not available at the local hardware store. They were made special for the FBI. They are the holy grail in the full auto world. All the other guns were off the shelf including that ‘21 tommy.

Distinguished Member
    The Hollywood re-write of history didn't do anything for the storyline for me either.

VIP Member
    I would like to know how he came to that conclusion when none of the witness, hell, even the participants, can't agree on anything.
    He stated that he relied largely on the investigation conducted by Sandy Jones in 1998.
    Rock and Glock and OD* like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I did some searching for Hamer's .38 Super. I cannot find any trace of it anywhere. I checked the Ranger Museum and several other places Texas Ranger memorabilia is kept. If it existed, the family must have kept it.

Only a few sources make the claim that when Hamer emptied the Model 8, he stepped out with pistol in hand. One of the reliable sources says he used the Monitor, while another claims the Model 8 that had been modified to accept larger magazines was his weapon of choice. A few sources say he stepped out with "Old Lucky" (the Colt single action .45) in hand. I suspect the truth is that, having a Model 8 in 35 Remington and/or the Monitor with 20 rounds of 30.06 at hand, both easily capable of blowing through the steel doors of the Ford, Hamer probably was not worried about needing a pistol to penetrate the doors or any possible body armor. The subjects should have already been shot by the time it was down to handguns, and any handgun would only be a coup de grace through the blown out windows.

Anyway, I suspect no one will ever know the truth of the events of that day by the posse. The participants just didn't speak much about it - even to their families. But, I love researching old events like this.
    Back to Guinn's book, at the ambush, the posse was armed with the following:

Alcorn and Hinton had BARs. Hinton also had an extra shotgun;

Jordon had a lever-action Winchester;

Gault had a Model 8 .35-caliber Remington loaned to him by Hamor;

Oakley also had a Model 8;

Hamor had a Model 11 Remington shotgun and the Colt Monitor Machine Rifle.

All the lawmen also carried handguns. Hinton also had a 16mm movie camera to record the aftermath.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Petroleum 1 View Post
    The Colt Monitor was not available at the local hardware store. They were made special for the FBI. They are the holy grail in the full auto world. All the other guns were off the shelf including that ‘21 tommy.

Wiki's report says that they only produced about 125 of them...the FBI got 90.
    OldChap likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    Wiki's report says that they only produced about 125 of them...the FBI got 90.
    Here is a vid on one:

airslot, Snub44, OD* and 2 others like this.

VIP Member
    Enjoyed that, Mike! Only 10 or less registered NFA...wonder WHAT happened to the rest of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    Enjoyed that, Mike! Only 10 or less registered NFA...wonder WHAT happened to the rest of them?
    Prolly in the hands of the infidels.
    Snub44, OD*, Tstone and 1 others like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

VIP Member
    One can hope!
    OldChap likes this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Petroleum 1 View Post
    This one brought $115,000.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...ar-machine-gun
    Snub44, OldVet, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member
    That's a LOT of nostalgia...
    OD*, msgt/ret and OldChap like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tstone View Post
    It's difficult to understand how they made the effort to portray Hamer more realistically, but then got so much wrong. However, not being a screen writer, or a director, I'm not sure I could've done it better.

Love the new sig line.
    Tstone and OldChap like this.

NRA Patron Member

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links