The Highwaymen Mini Review - Page 8

The Highwaymen Mini Review

This is a discussion on The Highwaymen Mini Review within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by PAcanis Thanks for the additional info. I was wondering (although who really knows) which ones might be accessible (front seat), if they ...

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree710Likes

Thread: The Highwaymen Mini Review

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Thanks for the additional info.

I was wondering (although who really knows) which ones might be accessible (front seat), if they tended to travel with them or left some back at the house and how much ammo they had on hand. Also, how their weapons compared to the ones Hamer purchased.

And I'm assuming he let the posse use the ones he brought/purchased.
    Most of the time, PA, Barrow & Parker rolled with everything in the car, they didn't really have a hide-out. It's one of the reasons they kept hitting armories, every-time they had a near miss, they had to replenish their arsenal.
    Last edited by OD*; April 2nd, 2019 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Spellin'
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Great minds.
    OldChap and Rock and Glock like this.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    For the two outlaws, there was no "back at the house". They pretty much lived in their vehicles, and kept their arsenals and ammo there. They lost those arsenals from time to time, but would quickly break into armories to replenish.

Hamer's posse got the two BARs from the state national guard.

In the film they showed they kept their clothing at Methvin's house in the closet. So they unloaded at least some of their items out of the car. No reason they couldn't have stashed some of their arsenal there, too, in case they were surprised while sleeping. Unless of course they loaded and unloaded all those weapons and ammo every time they got in the car or back at the house.
    If it was me I'd want weapons in both places. If I had to leave the house in a hurry I would want some weapons in the car. And if I got chased from my car into the house, I'd want some weapons and ammo in the house other than what I was carrying.

Maybe B&C always left their weapons in the car and fought their way to the car with what personal guns they had on them? Or maybe they did transport them back and forth from their car to the house they were staying in every time they went from one to another.

We may never know.
    OldChap, OD* and Rock and Glock like this.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Most of the time, PA, Barrow & Parker rolled with everything in the car, they didn't really have a hide-out. It's one of the reasons they kept hitting armories, every-time they had a near miss, they had to replenish their arsenal.
    See my previous post

I understand they would have everything in the car when traveling, but you're also saying they left all their guns in the car when they holed up for a while? Or they carried everything back and forth?

But my mind doesn't work like a criminal's, so what do I know, lol.
    OD*, OldChap and Rock and Glock like this.

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    I watched it last night as well. It was alright.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

VIP Member
    Speaking of mind working like a criminal's....having read this thread, I probably won't watch the movie...what I've read, seen, heard just shows me what lowlife scum they really were...a couple of twisted minds doing "their thing"...no matter what it cost someone else. They've really been romanticized, though...and millions have been made doing it...and that's why we keep hearing about them. Profit.
    Mike1956, OldChap, OD* and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    I watched it last night as well. It was alright.
    Well, Brother Mil, that sounds like a ringing endorsement !
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Based on everything I read here, I decided to give this movie a watch. I agree with Militant; it was alright.
    Without regard to its historical accuracy, I found it fairly slow and plodding. None of the characters were especially engaging, and I kept wishing they'd just hurry up and shoot B&C.
    Just my opinion.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    See my previous post

I understand they would have everything in the car when traveling, but you're also saying they left all their guns in the car when they holed up for a while? Or they carried everything back and forth?

But my mind doesn't work like a criminal's, so what do I know, lol.
    Most of the time yes, guns were covered and locked in the car. They rarely stayed anywhere more than a few days at the very most. That's another thing the movie got wrong B&C did not stay with Methvin, they were using an old abandoned farmhouse on Old Sailes Road. The few times they stayed anywhere turned into a disaster, Platte City, Joplin etc.. The really did live out of their car(s).
    Mike1956, OldChap, Tstone and 3 others like this.

NRA Patron Member

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    Speaking of mind working like a criminal's....having read this thread, I probably won't watch the movie...what I've read, seen, heard just shows me what lowlife scum they really were...a couple of twisted minds doing "their thing"...no matter what it cost someone else. They've really been romanticized, though...and millions have been made doing it...and that's why we keep hearing about them. Profit.
    That's one of the highlights of the film to me, they didn't focus on Bonnie and Clyde, only enough for you to get an idea what the law was up against. It really is Frank and Maney's story, it's not another "Bonnie and Clyde love story" like that garbage movie from 1967.
    Mike1956, Pete63, Tstone and 6 others like this.

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member
    That's one of the highlights of the film to me, they didn't focus on Bonnie and Clyde, only enough for you to get an idea what the law was up against. It really is Frank and Maney's story, it's not another "Bonnie and Clyde love story" like that garbage movie from 1967.

Myself included!
    Tstone, OD*, airslot and 2 others like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

VIP Member
    So how did Costner do telling their story?
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Most of the time yes, guns were covered and locked in the car. They rarely stayed anywhere more than a few days at the very most. That's another thing the movie got wrong B&C did not stay with Methvin, they were using an old abandoned farmhouse on Old Sailes Road. The few times they stayed anywhere turned into a disaster, Platte City, Joplin etc.. The really did live out of their car(s).
    I thought it was Methvin's house, it could have been a farmhouse.
    I guess a different, but also the same mentality back then. Instead of fighting your way to the safe to get larger firepower (for some of us), they would have to fight their way back to their car. That's interesting.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    I thought it was Methvin's house, it could have been a farmhouse.
    I guess a different, but also the same mentality back then. Instead of fighting your way to the safe to get larger firepower (for some of us), they would have to fight their way back to their car. That's interesting.
    No, you're correct, in the movie they had B&C staying with Methvin, the real Bonnie & Clyde stayed at an abandoned farmhouse in Sailes Louisiana, they didn't stay with Methvin.

NRA Patron Member

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    So how did Costner do telling their story?
    I liked his portrayal of Frank, although I don't believe Hamer was quite that uptight. The Hamer's & Gault's were known to party together, Frank was a fiddler and Maney played guitar.
    airslot, Mike1956, Tstone and 2 others like this.

NRA Patron Member

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links