The Highwaymen Mini Review

This is a discussion on The Highwaymen Mini Review within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We watched last night on Netflix. All in all I found it entertaining and historically I would give it a B+ or maybe an A-. ...

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree710Likes

Thread: The Highwaymen Mini Review

We watched last night on Netflix. All in all I found it entertaining and historically I would give it a B+ or maybe an A-. It looks like they dressed up a few scenes to make it more entertaining, but overall they got a lot of the history correct - at least so far as we know.

They pretty much got the guns right - including the rare Colt Monitor, which I believe without looking it up, was a version of the BAR designed for the FBI. Colt only made 125 Monitors and only 24 were sold to law enforcement or other official agencies. Of course, they cut some corners by having Hamer go into a gun store and buy one off the shelf.

Anyway. The movie is better than a huge number of absolutely garbage "historical dramas" and I think you might enjoy it.

Manos Arribas or maybe thumbs up would be better.

Mods: I think I saw an older thread on this, but I couldn't find it.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

I found the Colt Monitor part of the story interesting.

This is the actual Monitor and Remington Model 8 in .35 that Hamer used hanging today in the Texas Ranger Museum in .... Sorry, not in Austin...in WACO.

The Highwaymen Mini Review-34t7vc2.jpg

Here is a photo of a BAR and below a comparison photo of the Monitor.

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  4.4 KB

The Highwaymen Mini Review-coltmonitor.jpg

Another website story of the Monitor.

The Colt Monitor B.A.R.

My wife and I watched it, too. We thought it was pretty good.
    OldChap, OD*, grouse and 1 others like this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    What we have here is a failure to communicate...
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

OH Man!!!! I joined Netflix just for this and they don't have a DVD yet and I need to wait until NEXT Friday to be safe on the data usage to stream it. And hope the weather will be good so the download from my Hotspot doesn't freeze!
    Sometimes living in the outback has its drawbacks in this digital age, but I'll take it warts and all!
    OldChap, Old Man, Pete63 and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I found the Colt Monitor part of the story interesting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coltmonitor.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	292472
    That pistol-grip thingie makes it an assault weapon of war.

I'm not too keen on the Monitor, much preferring the Merrimack. (The Virginia for true Southerners.)
    Old Man, OldChap, OD* and 7 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

It was a good watch....but as far as accuracy, I知 thinking more like C+....I知 sure they had key point and facts correct, but like any movie, it is mostly fiction (you would be bored otherwise). What I知 saying should not take anything away from the watchable nature of it. If is as factual as you can make something like this and far more accurate than say the untouchables.
    OldChap likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Wife and I watched The Highwaymen last night, too. We found it entertaining. I would watch it again.
    OldChap and OD* like this.

I just finished watching it. Good movie.
    This makes two Netflix made movies I enjoyed.
    Old Man, OldChap, OD* and 1 others like this.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

I watched it too, thought it was pretty good.

I liked how they portrayed Bonnie as having the limp as it's historically accurate at that time. Didn't know what to think of the Bonnie "execution" style killings because I thought that witness was pretty much debunked. I think they did a good job with the ambush, especially since there's different versions out there of what exactly happened and who shot first.

Overall I thought it was worth the time.
    OldChap, OD*, ETXhiker and 1 others like this.
    homo homini lupus est

Well worth watching. It seemed to capture the period very well. That was a tough time when a couple of murdering bank robbers could have a fan following among the economic victims of the time. I guess ours are not the only angry times this country has experienced. Costner was good as always. I think his "Devil Ance Hatfield" was better.

My wife and I watched it last night. We thought it was great. I read up on the history and a lot of facts are still in dispute. So we don't know for sure exactly how it went down, but based on what I read, it seems the movie was a plausible reenactment, with some "Hollywood" thrown in. I thought the acting and the cinematography were great.

The one gun thing I saw was it seems none of the handguns Hamer bought in the gun store got used. Instead both of the ex-Rangers in the movie used Colt SAAs, which I think was unrealistic given the better choices available at the time. Hamer was partial to the SAA in his early years, but later evolved to the S&W .44 Hand Ejector. However, in an 1992 interview, Hamer's son, Frank Hamer Jr, said that the handgun Hamer carrier on the Bonny and Clyde hunt was a Colt 1911 in the then pretty new .38 Super, shown below.

Name:  Hamer.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  11.6 KB
    OldChap, wmhawth, OD* and 5 others like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I just finished watching it. Good movie.
    This makes two Netflix made movies I enjoyed.
    What was the other one?
    OldChap and Risasi like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    It was a good watch....but as far as accuracy, I知 thinking more like C+....I知 sure they had key point and facts correct, but like any movie, it is mostly fiction (you would be bored otherwise). What I知 saying should not take anything away from the watchable nature of it. If is as factual as you can make something like this and far more accurate than say the untouchables.
    Read these two books:

Name:  51ZVnnFYI0L._SY346_.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  26.6 KB

Name:  518V-QLofJL.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  62.1 KB

Most of what we know is just popularized fiction or wishful thinking. The top book is a very detailed account of Bonnie and Clyde. The lower one is a detailed account of the life of Frank Hamer. There are slight differences in the accounts of the death of Bonnie and Clyde between them, but not really a lot.

Where the movie really got a poor grade were the scenes of Hamer driving between Austin and Dallas. That is not central Texas, that is West Texas.
    PAcanis, wmhawth, OD* and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidboot View Post
    What was the other one?
    Bird Box.
    Some of their foreign language ones aren't bad either, but they're not in this caliber. IMO.
    OldChap and OD* like this.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    My wife and I watched it last night. We thought it was great. I read up on the history and a lot of facts are still in dispute. So we don't know for sure exactly how it went down, but based on what I read, it seems the movie was a plausible reenactment, with some "Hollywood" thrown in. I thought the acting and the cinematography were great.

The one gun thing I saw was it seems none of the handguns Hamer bought in the gun store got used. Instead both of the ex-Rangers in the movie used Colt SAAs, which I think was unrealistic given the better choices available at the time. Hamer was partial to the SAA in his early years, but later evolved to the S&W .44 Hand Ejector. However, in an 1992 interview, Hamer's son, Frank Hamer Jr, said that the handgun Hamer carrier on the Bonny and Clyde hunt was a Colt 1911 in the then pretty new .38 Super, shown below.

Name:  Hamer.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  11.6 KB
    You mean that particular pistol is new, correct, not that it was Hamer's actual gun?
    Cause the gun in that picture didn't exist in Hamer's day.

the ex-Rangers in the movie used Colt SAAs, which I think was unrealistic given the better choices available at the time.
    Agree, as far back as 1915, according to Zane Grey who knew and wrote about Hamer said he carried a Colt SAA low on the right side and a Colt Automatic high on the left. They found a picture of Hamer dresses as described in Zane Grey's personal belongings at the time of his death.

Last edited by OD*; March 31st, 2019 at 10:24 AM.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don稚 give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links