Parenting 101 - Page 3

Parenting 101

This is a discussion on Parenting 101 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Havok What I find funny is that you have the parents that pay no attention to their kids whatsoever, and you have ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: Parenting 101

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    What I find funny is that you have the parents that pay no attention to their kids whatsoever, and you have the overprotective parents that won’t let their kids get dirty. Why can’t we just have a good medium here?
    That medium exists.

You just never hear from/about them because they don't have issues.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    We have one of those NextDoor things also. I quit logging in when people spent most of their time complaining about how their elected board members run things. I put a notice on their letting people know I was not going to be visiting much, if ever, and why. I don't know if anyone cared though.

Those local group things could be great, with recommendations for restaurants, helpers of all kinds, and even the "for free" or "for sale" things that get posted. Ours has a lot of ads that get stuck between the actual messages but that's the price of a FREE service.

Actually, I just logged on to the local one and things seem to have improved somewhat, with most posts being on topic for the purpose of the web site. I still think it's a waste, but

lots of people have appliances that need to be repaired and don't know who to call, so I guess it's a good thing.
    That one should be easy. "Got appliances that need repair ? Just call ShooterGramps !"

(Please don't tell your Marine Aviator I suggested that... )
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    That one should be easy. "Got appliances that need repair ? Just call ShooterGramps !"

(Please don't tell your Marine Aviator I suggested that... )
    .....rofl:
    Gramps used to be able to build about anything I wanted/needed out of wood, but appliance repair he did not. At all.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Senior Moderator
    I see notices from NextDoor and my wife pays closer attention than I do. There was an attempted home invasion a half mile from here yesterday in broad daylight, and because she's out of town (enjoying a blizzard in SD) she wanted to let me know.

The only "stink" I got caught up in was a local thread where someone complained about people not picking up their dog's poop. With 5 dogs, I'm a little sensitive to the subject. So some whiny woman complained that the OP was "shaming" people about not cleaning up after their dogs. I couldn't believe the number of people who were on the side of that complainer. Of course, that was my cue to add my own reply about people not cleaning up after their dogs being lazy and self-centered, but in stronger (but not profane) language. Apparently, that seemed to end the conversation.
    Rock and Glock and OldChap like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I see notices from NextDoor and my wife pays closer attention than I do. There was an attempted home invasion a half mile from here yesterday in broad daylight, and because she's out of town (enjoying a blizzard in SD) she wanted to let me know.

The only "stink" I got caught up in was a local thread where someone complained about people not picking up their dog's poop. With 5 dogs, I'm a little sensitive to the subject. So some whiny woman complained that the OP was "shaming" people about not cleaning up after their dogs. I couldn't believe the number of people who were on the side of that complainer. Of course, that was my cue to add my own reply about people not cleaning up after their dogs being lazy and self-centered, but in stronger (but not profane) language. Apparently, that seemed to end the conversation.
    One of the on-going bitter issues on NextDoor in our area as well. Same folks balking at being chastised as you mention Gasmitty. Unbelievable. They even go so far as to say it’s ok to leave dog poop on the grass between the sidewalk and the street for which the homeowner is responsible for the upkeep because it actually belongs to the county. Can you believe that?! Sometimes reading NextDoor is just as bad for my blood pressure as watching Fox News.....🤯
    OldChap and ShooterGranny like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy."

Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

MY new neighbor used to let his GS dump on the swale of my yard and didn't clean it up--in violation of city ordinance. He eventually stopped letting the dog out when it began pooping on the hood of his truck at night. I don't know if he figured out how the dog was still getting out to do that.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    PTA, HOA, and NextDoor were on the original terrorist watch list...all populated by power-hungry types...part piranha and part chihuahua.
    Tstone, OldChap and Rockymonster like this.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Glad it was only an attempted home invasion. Would it be too much to hope that it was the perps final attempt?

The linemen are busting their tails with all the power lines down from the storm.
    We lost electric power about 2a.m. yesterday. They are expecting 3-4 days to get everyone back up and running.
    I'm babysitting generators so we aren't doing too bad unless I run out of gas.
    OldChap likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Senior Moderator
    Let's not paint with too broad a brush, here.

I'm the de facto head of my 55-home HOA, and our BoD are protective activists, not power-hungry idiots. The 5 of us got into this because we had a management company that was spending us dry, handing out service contracts to favored vendors. We called them on the carpet, gave them a chance to shape up, but ultimately fired them. Five or six years later we haven't raised our "dues" and we have a $20K surplus. Yes, we have some problem homeowners - mostly non-resident landlords - but we give them legitimate opportunities to address their shortcomings. AZ law gives HOAs the right to foreclose if dues and fines go unpaid too long, but in my tenure we haven't needed to pull that card. Assess penalties for late payments, pursue liens, but no foreclosures.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Reminds me of the story - One cannot know true happiness until one has children - then, it's too late.
    So who is this Will that everybody fires at, what did he do, and how come he's not dead yet??

@gasmitty One could only wish for your even-handed touch in a lot of HOA's.

We had a mini-revolt here last fall when the HOA decided that people had a 10 foot "window" to put their trash cans in (in the driveway) on trash pick-up day. They had someone riding around taking notes, and the guy even got out with a tape measure to look at our neighbor next door's trash can. The guy has Stage 3 cancer.

The ultra wealthy folks down the block started putting their trash cans in the driveway about 1 foot away from the street and the HOA went ballistic. Unfortunately, the guy is a partner in some big law firm and he challenged the HOA to a court battle - which he intended to fight until the sun winked out. Several other lawyers jumped on the bandwagon with him and the HOA backed down - after they got buried in a legal paper blizzard. Then, everybody got together and voted everyone from the President down out.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Name:  ml811.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  15.0 KB
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    PTA, HOA, and NextDoor were on the original terrorist watch list...all populated by power-hungry types...part piranha and part chihuahua.
    Have been advised that ONE HOA is not populated by the power-hungry...noted...
    OldChap likes this.

I-will-never-live-in-any-HOA-controlled-neighborhood. I'd rather teach a dog to poop on the owner's truck hood than have an HOA.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

This tale has taken a predictable turn. The woman who got irate about the neighbors looking out for the life of her child has started just ranting about how awful all her neighbors are and how she felt persecuted because the cops came by and explained the law to her, and the city was so mean as to outlaw go kart riding by children on the streets, on and on ad infinitum, ad nauseam.

I suspect she needs to go buy a quart of something and calm down. With her terrible attitude, it is probably just a matter of time before she tangles with the wrong person. Oh well. That's what I get for trying to help out.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links