Computer Security Question.... - Page 2

Computer Security Question....

This is a discussion on Computer Security Question.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by NECCdude What's your Social Security Number? Same as yours......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Computer Security Question....

Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    What's your Social Security Number?
    Same as yours...
    OldChap and ShooterGranny like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

On my Win 8.1 machine I have the following browsers installed: Chrome,Opera,IE 11 & Firefox. On my Win 10 machine I have the following browsers installed: Chrome,Opera,Edge & Firefox. I find myself using Chrome the most then the Opera browser. Firefox gets used occasionally , Edged gets used every now & again and IE 11 gets used very rarely. Chrome is definitely my favorite browser.

Chrome is probably your best bet. FF is.... fine I suppose. Edge seems to be junk to me.

I was talking to a young PC consultant this past week about the fact that Windows 7 will stop being supported the beginning of next year, so it will cease to get security upgrades, making it a potentially unsafe system. He said Win 10 has gotten a lot better and the interim Windows systems between 7 and 10 were not good. He did say there is a way now to set 10 up so you can get rid of the tiles and use it more like 7.

For browsers, IE is no longer fully supported, so it is not a good bet. Edge is not a good system either. He said Chrome is not bad if you have the right security. What he really likes is Chromium 64, which is kind of like a "naked" version of Chrome. It can also be used as the basis for creating your own browser. It sounds a bit over my head, but it was interesting input.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Lots of suggestions here, for me Firefox is arguably at the top, especially when you engage private mode.

VPNs are good but decent ones are hard to find even when you pay for them.

The best option is to hide in plain sight, encrypted and routed anonymously. If you use a Tor browser, this is about as close as you can get unless you know a professional hacker. I’ve used it for years, and tested it a few times. It will encrypt your connection then anonymize it so it appears that you are coming from anywhere but where you actually are, routing you through multiple servers around the world.

Here is the link:

https://www.torproject.org/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar
    There are some new privacy features added to Firefox. The below article explains them and it also mentions that Google is trying to implement a feature to break adblockers.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/michel...lking-n2547429

"The change is particularly significant in light of reports of Google’s Manifest v3—a plan which threatens to cripple ad blockers on its popular Chrome browser, even for enterprise users."
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

There are some new privacy features added to Firefox. The below article explains them and it also mentions that Google is trying to implement a feature to break adblockers.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/michel...lking-n2547429

"The change is particularly significant in light of reports of Google’s Manifest v3—a plan which threatens to cripple ad blockers on its popular Chrome browser, even for enterprise users."
    Firefox should find a way to get rid of these cookies/adblock pop-ups where websites complain about you using cookie/.tracking/adblock software. Some sites won't let you visit until you whitelist them.
    msgt/ret likes this.

I turned off my ad blocker for all sites. But tracking cookies are banned on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    VPNs are good but decent ones are hard to find even when you pay for them.
    I use the Bidefender Total Security Suite and the "add-on" Bitdefender VPN. Not cheap, but not prohibitive. The Secuity Suite is usually one of the higher rated ones every year. The VPN is rated well for security and ease of use. It is not as well rated for advanced features, but I never use those anyway. I like that the two products integrate. I also like that one subscription covers five devices, which for us, includes two PCs, a Mac and two iPhones.

My point is if you use a security suite, which I think everyone should, sometimes you can get an "add-on" VPN for not too much. It may not be one of the top ones, but it may be a good middle ground solution. It is certainly better than nothing.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Opera: I no longer use Opera. The company Opera got bought by a Chinese company. Having lived in China, I tend to avoid all Chinese branded IT products, unless I know the big boss personally, if I can. So no products from Lenovo, Huawei, Xiaomi, HighSense, etc. for me.

Edge: Microsoft has switched to using Chromium (Google's open source version of Chrome) to replace IE/Edge's crappy, bug-ridden internals.

Chrome: Google's Chrome captures everything, even stuff you select not to allow them to track.

I mainly use Firefox and Brave, sometimes Vivaldi. If banking, Bitdefender, which actually used IE in the past, maybe Edge today. Has built-in VPN with free 200GB/allocation. Beyond that each month, you need to pay.

Obviously, there's TOR or Onion if just want a VPN. Also note that 1.1.1.1 (a free app) redirects all you online traffic through a DNS other than your ISP's. In this way, your ISP can't snoop your web traffic content stream.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin_Jedi View Post
    Obviously, there's TOR or Onion if just want a VPN. Also note that 1.1.1.1 (a free app) redirects all you online traffic through a DNS other than your ISP's. In this way, your ISP can't snoop your web traffic content stream.
    If you use TOR to do online financial transactions you will be prompted for answers to your security questions every time since the financial institution thinks you're connecting from a different computer every time since you could be randomly routed thru any place in the world. That's why I don't use it. Although the positive spin is that you'll get to a point where you'll never forget the answers to the security challenges.

If you use TOR to do online financial transactions you will be prompted for answers to your security questions every time since the financial institution thinks you're connecting from a different computer every time since you could be randomly routed thru any place in the world. That's why I don't use it. Although the positive spin is that you'll get to a point where you'll never forget the answers to the security challenges.
    Hi NECCdude,

I don't use TOR for financial serices that very reason. You can get past this with the institution sending you a verification code or using some other form of 2-factor verification.

I DO USE 1.1.1.1 for DNS redirect away from my snooping ISP, sometimes alongside an encrypted VPN. And the sandboxed browser I use is only for financial services.

Taking things a bit further, some advocate using a Linux image in "trial" mode. (Insert DVD with a Linux image on it into drive, with your computer off of course, then boot up Linux trial image.) What's nice about this approach is that when you shut down the computer, all record of your Internet connection is erased, as nothing was saved to the hard disk.

Of course the downside to this Linux method is that you need to set things up on your computer just like you would if you were actually installing an OS: select your "Region" (country, timezone, etc) and setting up your Wi-Fi connection, and anything to get you online. Because of this, some people think it's not worth the hassle.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Firefox just added a new privacy feature in version 70.0.

https://blog.mozilla.org/firefox/fir...y-protections/

I'm sticking with Chrome these days. Tried Firefox and found it to be OK. Haven't cared much for Edge. Used IE several years ago and did OK with it. Chrome is my pick but as for security I reckon it's a crap shoot.

Firefox is better because google really stocks all your data on their servers, you can even download it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links