Anybody besides me dislike shaking hands? - Page 5

Anybody besides me dislike shaking hands?

This is a discussion on Anybody besides me dislike shaking hands? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by OldVet Handshakes aren't a problem for me. People won't come close enough to get one. A thought to ponder: Do you lay ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree328Likes

Thread: Anybody besides me dislike shaking hands?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Handshakes aren't a problem for me. People won't come close enough to get one.

A thought to ponder: Do you lay your silverware on a restaurant table? Have you ever noticed the staff wipe down a seat where sweaty butts just left and then wipe down the table? And how many times has that cleaning cloth been used on how many tables?
    On that subject, I've told you before, and you seemed to disagree with me. When I'm in public places, IF I don't want it to transpire, NO ONE invades my personal space. Warning: language!

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

I donít shake hands and I donít talk in a public restroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CDW4ME and Sister like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Weaponeer View Post
    I donít shake hands and I donít talk in a public restroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Combine the two.
    Some guy just finished using restroom says "Hey whats up" and extends unwashed hand right after zipping his pants.

Essentially the same thing happens a lot, only one doesn't see the guy skip the sink on the way out the restroom.
    I worked in a "professional" building, I saw guys leave the stall from doing #2 and walk straight out the door.

I wasn't always adverse to shaking hands, years of observation made me that way.

Sister likes this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

I have an acquaintance who is a psychiatrist. He carries a bottle of hand cleaner and a bunch of alcohol wipes. He cleans his hands about every five to ten minutes. I think he needs more help than his patients.
    Snub44, OldVet, msgt/ret and 3 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired

Distinguished Member Array kukla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CommonCents View Post
    Yep, if you pay attention in busy public mens rooms, many don't wash their hands. I also use my paper towel to open the mens room door to get out. You wash your hands then touch the same door everyone else does!
    fully agree, and do the same with the paper towels (if there are any).

i also stay out of Walmart bathrooms, and successfully avoid the store entirely most of the time.
    Walmart seems to attract a crowd that "doesn't get it".
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

I stopped doing this as much now. If it happens, I'm in a bathroom or piling on the sanitizer afterward.

A few months ago some guy attempted to shake my hand while I was eating dinner. A really awkward moment but I avoided it.

I'm careful with door nobs too. I have a card key in my wallet for the office building and just use my wallet to pull doors. I've been less "sick" that last couple of years.
    CDW4ME likes this.

Other than keeping my hands away from my face and washing them when they should be washed, I take few of the precautions mentioned in this thread. I rarely get sick. Says a lot for consuming copious amounts of bourbon.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

What OldVet said except scotch instead of bourbon. I had a bottle of Caol Ila 18 year old recently. Great disinfectant at 59.8% alcohol.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/...-releases-2017
    wmhawth, msgt/ret and spclopr8tr like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired

Have an acquaintance who worked as an occasional language aide to Bill Clinton in the White House. He would stand next to Clinton in the receiving line and translate conversations as needed for visiting dignitaries. One time, Clinton called a short bathroom break. My buddy followed him to the bathroom as he needed a break too. Clinton blabbed away at the urinal, didn't wash his hands afterwards, and then went back to the receiving line. It was shake-shake-shake all that afternoon.
    Instymp and Pete63 like this.

I was written up at work years ago for confronting a gross employee who would use the rest room every day before lunch...
    And not wash his hands and using the microwave in the break room afterwards...Maybe i shouldn't have called him a dirt ball????
    Pete63 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    I love football, but it has got to be one of the nastiest places to be. One case and point of many; Drew Brees of the Saints. That cat ALWAYS licks his fingers and then touches the football:

I can't tell who you are worried about, the people who touch the ball after Drew hands it off or throws it, or Drew. For being in contact so much with a ball that other people have handled and laid on the ground... the ground that gets spit on and bled on... then licks his fingers in-between touching it.

Lets not forget about golfers who smoke. Yeah, I was one of those.
    I never had a problem tossing my cig on the ground... that nice green fairway or green a hundred people have walked over and spit on... then sticking it back in my mouth. Not to mention fertilizer, both chemical and natural from the geese.

I'm a firm believer in the building up of immunity. Like those survival guys who say they can drink from a creek without immediate worry. Used to do that, too.
    Militant, msgt/ret and Sister like this.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    I was written up at work years ago for confronting a gross employee who would use the rest room every day before lunch...
    And not wash his hands and using the microwave in the break room afterwards...Maybe i shouldn't have called him a dirt ball????
    I don't blame you. For once.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Even though it is still customary for men to shake hands, it is not considered proper for men and women to shake hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Lu View Post
    Even though it is still customary for men to shake hands, it is not considered proper for men and women to shake hands.
    Not so. The proper etiquette was to wait for the woman to offer her hand, but with the equal rights push, it has become more acceptable for the man to initiate a handshake--unless the woman happens to be the Queen of England.

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I can't tell who you are worried about, the people who touch the ball after Drew hands it off or throws it, or Drew. For being in contact so much with a ball that other people have handled and laid on the ground... the ground that gets spit on and bled on... then licks his fingers in-between touching it.

Lets not forget about golfers who smoke. Yeah, I was one of those.
    I never had a problem tossing my cig on the ground... that nice green fairway or green a hundred people have walked over and spit on... then sticking it back in my mouth. Not to mention fertilizer, both chemical and natural from the geese.

I'm a firm believer in the building up of immunity. Like those survival guys who say they can drink from a creek without immediate worry. Used to do that, too.
    Now, we can get extremely technical with every sport and speak of all the things that are filthy! I was merely pointing out the obvious with Drew. Constantly licking his fingers....then touching the football (as you mentioned....after others have handled it and its been on the ground with blood, sweat, dirt etc.). Just nasty man! And then, as you mentioned; the field, the spit, the sweat, the blood etc. Just nasty! After the Superbowls, just at look at all of the people handling and then kissing the Lombardi Trophy. Again, just nasty!
    Pete63 and PAcanis like this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Sponsored Links