How many have any hand to hand training? - Page 4

How many have any hand to hand training?

This is a discussion on How many have any hand to hand training? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Iíve done a little bit over the years. Different types of martial arts, as well as some different courses through the military. Not something I ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree207Likes

Thread: How many have any hand to hand training?

Iíve done a little bit over the years. Different types of martial arts, as well as some different courses through the military. Not something I ever got big into though.
    AzQkr likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Yes
    Tae Kwon Do, wushu, wrestling, boxing.
    military, LE.

20 years

probably 3 years ago.
    duane_wade and AzQkr like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    You learn nothing about what YOU can do from watching anything. It takes being in the arena. I'm past my max potential. Max potential probably peaked between 35-40 years of age. You don't learn anything worth street value from someone that's better than you unless you take some lumps while "doing".

You're not learning anything about what you can do just watching someone else. You're learning what someone else can do with a whole lot of TRAINING hours behind them
    The watching part i mentioned was a reference to what can be learned....The doing part is exactly as you stated.
    So every time you post a video on here. Would you prefer we just had that same mentality and dismissed it as hogwash
    or would you prefer we said....Great video...That has got me to thinking about the subject a little more.
    If you learn nothing from watching anything as you stated...Then why ever post a video on here related to training or techniques?
    It means nothing and you learn nothing right?
    patkelly4370 likes this.

I was pounded on and kicked by someone trained in hand-in-hand. Does that count?

Not only that but I'm an also an expert at both human and dog psychology.

But, I run a Springer looking for an ambush so what do I know?
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Lu View Post
    I was pounded on and kicked by someone trained in hand-in-hand. Does that count?
    Absolutely! A perfect example of why we should dojoize physical education in our public schools.

A future race will land on a mostly lifeless earth digging for minerals. They will understand the archeology of locker room graffiti which they uncover . . .

The Jedi were here first
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Second degree black belt Tae Kwon Do and was a nationally certified basic, advanced, keychain, and aerosol defense trainer for several years.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Cleandean View Post
    It has been many years... the one I remember is "Hand to Mouth Training" . No Problemo !
    I've had that art down cold for decades.
    Doghandler likes this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    I've had that art down cold for decades.
    Every modern person can analyze it's own carbon footprint and we are still left with death - and dogs to sniff out understanding from our ashes.
    Texas Red likes this.
    Doghandler
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    The watching part i mentioned was a reference to what can be learned....The doing part is exactly as you stated.
    So every time you post a video on here. Would you prefer we just had that same mentality and dismissed it as hogwash
    or would you prefer we said....Great video...That has got me to thinking about the subject a little more.
    If you learn nothing from watching anything as you stated...Then why ever post a video on here related to training or techniques?
    It means nothing and you learn nothing right?
    I'd prefer to have people see them as what is possible with some training, not something they can watch and just go out and duplicate without the proper training. To think any other way would not be honest. What you learn from watching any demonstration of anothers talent/s is what's possible IF one chose to explore further and seek the training that gets them to that proficiency.

I, nor you, nor anyone else gets talent by watching, you learn nothing more than what's humanly possible with sufficient desire to get there, and that, ONLY if you are physically capable to begin with. We hear constantly people don't know what they don't know, they don't get the "know" without the hard work and dedication to get there, and certainly no one is going to become an MMA fighter by watching MMA. Anymore than anyone is to become Miculek by watching him shoot.

I didn't get where I am skills wise simply watching Bruce Lee movies, I'm quite confident people understand and get that message watching the vids on my channel. Which by the way, was started to quell the naysayers who for decades adamantly stated what I can do and what others can do in short periods of time was impossible. I decided instead of arguing with those who didn't know what they didn't know it was possible, to just show them what's possible. And then have people writing AAR's as to how it wasn't difficult at all nor took years to develop the skills.

Long hard work in the arena, being tested, taking the lumps, learning from the mistakes made against others with more talent than oneself is where you learn. From the doing, not watching.

We on the same page now?
    Last edited by AzQkr; April 25th, 2019 at 02:38 AM.
    airslot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    I'd prefer to have people see them as what is possible with some training, not something they can watch and just go out and duplicate without the proper training. To think any other way would not be honest. What you learn from watching any demonstration of anothers talent/s is what's possible IF one chose to explore further and seek the training that gets them to that proficiency.

I, nor you, nor anyone else gets talent by watching, you learn nothing more than what's humanly possible with sufficient desire to get there, and that, ONLY if you are physically capable to begin with. We hear constantly people don't know what they don't know, they don't get the "know" without the hard work and dedication to get there, and certainly no one is going to become an MMA fighter by watching MMA. Anymore than anyone is to become Miculek by watching him shoot.

I didn't get where I am skills wise simply watching Bruce Lee movies, I'm quite confident people understand and get that message watching the vids on my channel. Which by the way, was started to quell the naysayers who for decades adamantly stated what I can do and what others can do in short periods of time was impossible. I decided instead of arguing with those who didn't know what they didn't know it was possible, to just show them what's possible. And then have people writing AAR's as to how it wasn't difficult at all not took years to develop the skills.

Long hard work in the arena, being tested, taking the lumps, learning from the mistakes made against others with more talent than oneself is where you learn. From the doing, not watching.

We on the same page now?
    Just you and me, Bro, on the corner of Armour and Troost. You in your Diamondbacks lid and me in my Royals lid.

A man in a stolen Yankees cap walks by and spits on your shoes. Well, it is a hood. At least he didn't steal your cap!
    Doghandler
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Lu View Post
    It most certainly does. Every time I've been pounded on, I've learned how much it hurts, how much time it takes to heal, and that it is better to give than receive.
    Doghandler, airslot and Texas Red like this.

@AzQkr : I agree with your post #55, I just wanted to add something. You certainly can't learn these things from scratch watching videos, but if you have done real training in an area, you broaden your ability to learn from different sources. For instance, if I see a martial arts move on a video that's similar to a move I've learned in real training and I might pick up, "Oh, he's moving his foot in a slightly different direction than I do it, and I think I see why." I can do a couple of run-troughs and either decide I don't like it or that it works better than what I was doing and "I got it."

It works with shooting videos also. I will watch Miculek video, especially his advice videos, and I might try one of his tips next time on the range. What I worry about with videos is conflicting information. You watch videos from 10 different instructors on how to draw and present and you may see 10 different methods. In short, I agree videos can't develop basic capability, but I think they can refine it.
    airslot and AzQkr like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I got video of me training last week;

A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Every modern person can analyze it's own carbon footprint and we are still left with death - and dogs to sniff out understanding from our ashes.
    Nobody gets out alive.
    Snub44 likes this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links