ATV that can withstand an EMP strike - Page 3

ATV that can withstand an EMP strike

This is a discussion on ATV that can withstand an EMP strike within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: ATV that can withstand an EMP strike

Name:  Elephant.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  35.5 KB
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Senior Moderator
    The assault wheelbarrow is looking better and better. Maybe a mule, or a donkey.

Stored fuel goes bad quickly. Best bet is aviation fuel in airtight steel jerry cans.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonGuy View Post
    Im not particularly expecting an EMP but I want to be prepared just in case. Also, I've always wanted an ATV, for other reasons. As for having fuel for the ATV, I would store up gasoline.
    That's a lot of gasoline to store up, not to mention that gasoline does not have a very long shelf life before it degrades.
    Annoy a Liberal! Be Conservative and Live within Your Means!

Epstein Did Not Kill Himself!!

Quote Originally Posted by OneGunTX View Post
    That's a lot of gasoline to store up, not to mention that gasoline does not have a very long shelf life before it degrades.
    Right now I have the capability of storing up about twenty gallons although I could invest in bigger containers. When you do store up gasoline its good for six months.

Right now I have the capability of storing up about twenty gallons although I could invest in bigger containers. When you do store up gasoline its good for six months.
    Yes it is, but 20 gallons in an ATV won't last long. How long do you think this apocalypse will last?
    Annoy a Liberal! Be Conservative and Live within Your Means!

Epstein Did Not Kill Himself!!

Quote Originally Posted by OneGunTX View Post
    Yes it is, but 20 gallons in an ATV won't last long. How long do you think this apocalypse will last?
    I could upgrade to a 300 gallon gas container.

How handy are you with a wrench? If you're a proficient enough mechanic you may want to just start a project and rebuild a used bike, ATV or Chenowth style buggy from the ground up, eliminating dependencies on electronic systems, and have it set up to run off of alternative forms of fuel.

https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010...-gas-cars.html

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    Having just moved 10 yards of dirt into a garden from a driveway...the wheelbarrow is the weak part of that plan.
    JMO, but I don't think the wheelbarrow is the weak link. >;~}
    Snub44 likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

The loading, guidance, and propulsion systems on that wheelbarrow all were overly worn and required frequent cool-down periods and lubrication...and even a nap...but I got it DONE.

Senior Moderator
    How do you keep that much fresh?
    Snub44 likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    We keep a 500 gallon gas tank for the farm. I rarely keep it full because we don't use enough gas before it gets old. There is also the problem with winter and summer blends of both gas and diesel. The wrong blend in the wrong season will not run as efficiently. While there are additives that will extend the storage life, it does not store indefinitely.

When the power was out for 2 1/2 days I went through 46 gallons running two generators.

My Honda 4-wheeler averages 42mpg just riding. If I start really working it, that can drop below 30mpg quickly. Pulling the mower I can mow our 10 acres on about 1.5 gallons.
    I've used the Polaris Ranger to pull the mower, but not often because it will burn through 5+ gallons covering the same area as the 4-wheeler.

On the idea of an EMP event?
    There will be bigger problems than whether my ATV's still run, although I've read that equipment stored in aluminum or steel buildings have a better chance of surviving. Not sure how true that is, but both of my shops have steel roof and siding.
    If it ever happens I'll let you know. Or not... >;~}
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Iíll be on one of these.

Name:  1693D563-535B-4B84-A1E5-D18BCFD4A2AB.jpeg
Views: 21
Size:  42.4 KB
    We get the government we deserve.

OV's probably out in the garage paintin' up his toll booth signs right now. One way-2 beers. Round trip same day-3 beers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    How do you keep that much fresh?
    You could have two 300 gallon containers and keep one full for six months, then use up the gas and fill the other one and repeat the process every six months.

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    We keep a 500 gallon gas tank for the farm. I rarely keep it full because we don't use enough gas before it gets old. There is also the problem with winter and summer blends of both gas and diesel. The wrong blend in the wrong season will not run as efficiently. While there are additives that will extend the storage life, it does not store indefinitely.

When the power was out for 2 1/2 days I went through 46 gallons running two generators.

My Honda 4-wheeler averages 42mpg just riding. If I start really working it, that can drop below 30mpg quickly. Pulling the mower I can mow our 10 acres on about 1.5 gallons.
    I've used the Polaris Ranger to pull the mower, but not often because it will burn through 5+ gallons covering the same area as the 4-wheeler.
    Looks like you've got it made. If you have a farming background then not only do you have gas stored up and generators but you've also got crops and livestock. Also, if you've got an equestrian background as is common if you live on a farm that can be very useful too.

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    On the idea of an EMP event?
    There will be bigger problems than whether my ATV's still run, although I've read that equipment stored in aluminum or steel buildings have a better chance of surviving. Not sure how true that is, but both of my shops have steel roof and siding.
    If it ever happens I'll let you know. Or not... >;~}
    Something to do with faraday cages, apparently an aluminum or steel building would function like such a cage although I do not have in depth detailed knowledge on that, just a very basic understanding.
    TSKnight likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links