ATV that can withstand an EMP strike - Page 4

ATV that can withstand an EMP strike

This is a discussion on ATV that can withstand an EMP strike within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; FYI - An old friend I know has been working pretty high up in the gasoline industry for well over 20 years. During a conversation ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: ATV that can withstand an EMP strike

FYI - An old friend I know has been working pretty high up in the gasoline industry for well over 20 years. During a conversation with him he mentioned to me that before the gas is shipped out it is treated with additives depending on what the client wants in their gas. One thing though that is added to ALL gas is an additive that will artificially accelerate degrading the gas so it will be impossible for anyone getting it through normal channels to store gas for any extended period of time. Basically the government does not want citizens storing gas for future use.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Senior Moderator
    The best gasoline to purchase for storage is Aviation gasoline. Available at airports.
    OD* likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    Store your ATV in a windowless steel shed with steel doors, all of which is well grounded.

I don't know what you're going to do for gasoline...
    Arsenal? That's not an arsenal, that's my gun collection! John Wick, now he has an arsenal.

NRA Patron member

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanBob View Post
    Store your ATV in a windowless steel shed with steel doors, all of which is well grounded.

I don't know what you're going to do for gasoline...
    I had a dirt bike that we ran on straight alcohol. Bike would really move, but it was hard on the valves. Alcohol burns dry and the valves would burn and stick after a couple of weekends riding the trails.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

The Military has gone to all diesel, for several reasons. one being , It can be stored for many years without problems. The trick would be a diesel ATV. You will probably have to build your own, but it might be worth it! DR

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    The Military has gone to all diesel, for several reasons. one being , It can be stored for many years without problems. The trick would be a diesel ATV. You will probably have to build your own, but it might be worth it! DR
    Does diesel have the additive mentioned in post #46?

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonGuy View Post
    Does diesel have the additive mentioned in post #46?
    No, The fuel for my backup generators may be 15 years old or more. every couple of years a company comes and filters out any water that has condensed in the tank But you could do the same for yourself by draining off a couple gallons from the very bottom. [water sinks to the bottom.] If your tank is above ground it needs to be insulated to keep the condensation down. Keeping the tank full helps also. Good luck, DR

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    No, The fuel for my backup generators may be 15 years old or more. every couple of years a company comes and filters out any water that has condensed in the tank But you could do the same for yourself by draining off a couple gallons from the very bottom. [water sinks to the bottom.] If your tank is above ground it needs to be insulated to keep the condensation down. Keeping the tank full helps also. Good luck, DR
    Make sure you have pure diesel and not Bio-diesel. The Bio-diesel doesn't store as well long term. It also causes more problems in cold weather.

Most #1 Fuel Oil doesn't have any Biomass added, but check to make sure. I got caught this winter with some #1 that had 5% biomass added. Gelled up just like #2 diesel and left me setting on the road.
    the notice was a 2" square sticker the same color as the fuel pump (dark green) with black lettering.
    Democracy:
    Freedom:

Senior Moderator
    Biomass and ethanol. Two huge scams hoisted on us by politicians.
    OldVet likes this.

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    Here's one for you. Arctic Cat 700 super duty. Don't know if it's still in production.

Review from 2015

Specs:
    2015 Diesel 700 Super Duty
    Ages 16+
    AVAILABLE COLORS
    Green
    Engine Specifications
    Engine Displacement,
    Engine Type
    686 I-Twin, SOHC, 4 Stroke, 2-valve
    Cooling Liquid with Fan
    Bore x Stroke 75x77.6 mm
    Alternator Capacity 40 amps
    Fuel Capacity 5.3 gal.
    Suspension Specifications
    Front Travel Double A-Arm / 10 in.
    Rear Suspension Double A-Arm / 10 in.
    Ground Clearance 11 in.
    Front Tire Duro Kaden / 25x8-12
    Rear Tire / Size Duro Kaden / 25x10-12
    Wheels Powder-Coated Steel
    Powertrain Specifications
    Power Steering NA
    Transmission Automatic CVT with Hi/Lo Range,
    Neutral & Reverse
    Drive System 2/4 WD + Electric Front Differential
    Lock
    Brakes Hydraulic Disc
    Dimensions Specifications
    Overall Size LxWxH 93x47.5x48 in.
    Wheelbase 58 in.
    Dry Weight 844 lbs.
    Front / Rear Rack
    Capacity
    100 / 200 lbs.
    Towing Capacity 1050 lbs.
    Hitch Type Rear 2 in. Receiver
    Instrumentation Specifications
    Instrumentation Digital
    Lighting Dual Halogen Headlights / Single
    Rear Taillight
    Available Colors Green
    Additional Features
    3000-lb. Winch, Front and Rear SpeedRacks, Runs on 6 Types of Fuel
    Rock and Glock and TSKnight like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    I had a dirt bike that we ran on straight alcohol. Bike would really move, but it was hard on the valves. Alcohol burns dry and the valves would burn and stick after a couple of weekends riding the trails.
    I run on straight alcohol also, and a couple weekends on that stuff will burm me out too.
    TSKnight and LimaCharlie like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    My truck is an E-85 model, and I've run it on both regular and E-85. The E-85 costs less but get poorer mileage. Regular costs more but gets better mileage. I compared both on a 600-mile each-way trip and found the difference to be a wash. The cost per mile was 2-3 cents different, hardly a reason to seek out the harder-to-find E-85.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I'm not against either one, but there needs to be some common sense in how and where they are used.

One of the biggest problems with ethanol is the fact that most synthetic products desolve in it. The seals and O-rings in fuel systems swell and become soft causing premature failures.
    Oh, as a solvent, if your fuel system isn't clean? It will be after a few tanks of ethanol. All the loose particles will be in the fuel filter. Hopefully the filter catches it before it burns up the fuel pump or plugs the carb/injectors.

Bio-diesel has been around at least since WWII and has a good track record of success.
    It is not as efficient as fossil fuels, but can be manufactured from many oil seeds and is not toxic in it's natural state.
    That said, in cold climates it is really only viable during the summer months unless kept warm all the time.
    Jello doesn't flow.
    Democracy:
    Freedom:

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    I bet this would work:

ATV that can withstand an EMP strike-20190423_203528.png

Senior Moderator
    From what I've heard, E-85 burns up fuel pumps because it has fewer lubricants than gasoline. E-85 is also a government scam.
    airslot likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links