ATV that can withstand an EMP strike

This is a discussion on ATV that can withstand an EMP strike within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Does anybody know of a good ATV that can withstand an EMP strike. In modern times even lots of the ATVs have tons of electronics ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: ATV that can withstand an EMP strike

Does anybody know of a good ATV that can withstand an EMP strike. In modern times even lots of the ATVs have tons of electronics which would all get wiped out in the event of an EMP. Does anybody know of an ATV that would function prior to an EMP strike?

A mule?
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

ATV that can withstand an EMP strike-bike.jpg
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

Cover your ATV in tin foil and it will be fine.
    G26Raven, niks, Bad Bob and 7 others like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Here in Utah, where every piece of land is criss-crossed with ATV trails, I don't think any such thing exists. Certainly nothing from Polaris or Honda. I suspect this holds true for Arctic Cat as well.
    bigmacque and Old Man like this.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

I would look for an ATV with less bells and whistles. Less electronics and microprocessors to fail.

This may help: http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2...ission-7MB.pdf

Pg. 115 deals with automobiles and the effects of an EMP event on them;

We tested a sample of 37 cars in an EMP simulation laboratory, with automobile vintages ranging from 1986 through 2002. Automobiles of these vintages include extensive
    electronics and represent a significant fraction of automobiles on the road today. The testing was conducted by exposing running and nonrunning automobiles to sequentially
    increasing EMP field intensities. If anomalous response (either temporary or permanent) was observed, the testing of that particular automobile was stopped. If no anomalous
    response was observed, the testing was continued up to the field intensity limits of the simulation capability (approximately 50 kV/m).

Automobiles were subjected to EMP environments under both engine turned off and engine turned on conditions. No effects were subsequently observed in those automobiles that were not turned on during EMP exposure.
    The most serious effect observed on running automobiles was that the motors in three cars stopped at field strengths of approximately 30 kV/m or above.
    In an actual EMP exposure, these vehicles would glide to a stop and require the driver to restart them. Electronics in the dashboard of one automobile were damaged and required repair.
    Other effects were relatively minor. Twenty-five automobiles exhibited malfunctions that could be considered only a nuisance (e.g., blinking dashboard lights) and did not require driver intervention to correct.
    Eight of the 37 cars tested did not exhibit any anomalous response.
    Granted, the last testing was done a decade ago and the vehicles used by today's standards would be considered "old". They have only become more dependent upon computers and sensitive electronics.

The larger problem will be initially navigating around disabled vehicles in roadways, and long term will be fuel. Gotta feed the beasts, but because so many fuel stations are dependent upon modern electronics they will be out of commission in short order without power and the electronic systems to run them.

The best alternative might be to dig up an old truck using a diesel fuel system and convert it to run on filtered used veggie oil too. That would bring its own issues though. Those vehicles smell like french fries and you'd have packs of hungry people locating you by scent.
    Bad Bob likes this.

VIP Member
    Look for an older offering from John Deere, Kubota and others with diesel power and mechanical injection pumps. If you can get it to crank, it will run.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Get an old Honda 3-wheeler with pull start.

No electronics to fry.
    G-man*, hogdaddy and Old Man like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Sponsor
    https://www.futurescience.com/emp/vehicles.html

Automobiles were subjected to EMP environments under both engine turned off and engine turned on conditions. No effects were subsequently observed in those automobiles that were not turned on during EMP exposure. The most serious effect observed on running automobiles was that the motors in three cars stopped at field strengths of approximately 30 kV/m or above. In an actual EMP exposure, these vehicles would glide to a stop and require the driver to restart them. Electronics in the dashboard of one automobile were damaged and required repair. Other effects were relatively minor. Twenty-five automobiles exhibited malfunctions that could be considered only a nuisance (e.g., blinking dashboard lights) and did not require driver intervention to correct. Eight of the 37 cars tested did not exhibit any anomalous response.

Based on these test results, we expect few automobile effects at EMP field levels below 25 kV/m. Approximately 10 percent or more of the automobiles exposed to higher field levels may experience serious EMP effects, including engine stall, that require driver intervention to correct. We further expect that at least two out of three automobiles on the road will manifest some nuisance response at these higher field levels

There's a whole lot more to the article,
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	293996
    A bike with no pedals on it? No rear brakes either, but without the pedals, that's moot point.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    A bike with no pedals on it?
    Good eye,
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Something with a small enough engine that it can use a pull start?

Realistically, there are are probably only a couple countries that have the ability to cause an EMP in the US, and the ones that I think would actually want to do it are the ones who don’t have the ability to do so. On top of that, I highly doubt that we wouldn’t be able to prevent it these days, but I could be wrong.
    Risasi likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonGuy View Post
    Does anybody know of a good ATV that can withstand an EMP strike. In modern times even lots of the ATVs have tons of electronics which would all get wiped out in the event of an EMP. Does anybody know of an ATV that would function prior to an EMP strike?
    Most of them work prior to an attack. The ones that work post EMP attack are the ones hard to find.
    OneGunTX likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I truly believe the best option is a assault wheelbarrow and a bark-less Chihuahua dog.

The wheelbarrow is quiet, easily maneuverable, can carry a lot of gear, and the bark-less Chihuahua is the ultimate stealth watchdog - quiet, alert, stealthy, with the spirit of a lion, with the appetite of a mouse.

I'd be complete with a ten-inch barreled upper receiver chambered for .22 LR on my M4 with a attached silencer, and my stamps for the Feds, and I'm in business. I can probably reach out 300 meters with that combo, Hardin style.

Give me my M4, my assault wheelbarrow and that dog, and I'll control Cumberland County, maybe all of Maine, and Massachusetts too.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    Having just moved 10 yards of dirt into a garden from a driveway...the wheelbarrow is the weak part of that plan.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links