Gun Dealers and Women - Page 2

Gun Dealers and Women

This is a discussion on Gun Dealers and Women within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; @ Misty Lu Boy do I hear that. I used to help out for free at my LGS back during one of the times they ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree298Likes

Thread: Gun Dealers and Women

@Misty Lu Boy do I hear that. I used to help out for free at my LGS back during one of the times they were selling over a thousand guns a month. There were a couple of ladies who always came in together. They shot competition together and from what I heard were quite good. One day I was assisting three ladies who were each looking for protection. I invited the two lady experts to come back behind the counter and take over. I went and grabbed a handful of 4473's. The trio made some excellent choices after some excellent advice and they bought 4 guns total. The owner of the gun store came over and thanked the ladies for their help and invited them to just step up and sell whenever they were in the store. Those two loved to talk and sell guns.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    The places I shop the counter guys know their guns and don't offer up any advice but, will answer questions if asked. The only people I hear offering advice (good or bad) is the guy the woman brought in to the store with them. I was in one time when a woman bought a "leopard print" Charter arms 38 snub because everything she had on was also Leopard print. Guy behind the counter just wrote it up and said not a word, no eye roll, no comment, nothing. Customer is always right attitude. I like that.
    What's everyone got against leopard print?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gun Dealers and Women-download-1-.jpg  

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    I think it's cool! It would match my favorite pajamas.

This is the one she bought.
    Name:  Leopard 38 spl..jpg
Views: 19
Size:  13.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling XD View Post
    I get your frustration. It's an unfortunate fact that some sports, activities, hobbies, etc. are dominated by narrow segments of society. It's a shame that shooting doesn't have more diversity because that might help us around election time.

I'm always surprised that gun counter guys push women towards the .380s. True, they do have a little less recoil than 9mm, but the pistols are usually much smaller than 9mm pistols. Therefore, the gun absorbs less of the recoil and they are harder to grip and control the recoil. At least that's how it works for my wife. She could shoot a 9mm all day long. The only .380 she likes is her Glock 42.
    Tell your wife for me that she has good taste. The ONLY .380 pistol I like is a Glock 42.
    Stirling XD and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    I've not had that experience, but I normally go into a gun shop and ask to see a specific gun. The one shop in town has a couple women employees who I've gotten to know, so if they don't have the gun in stock (not an unusual occurrence) they will show me some others that they think are similar. I still get the one I asked about, but it's sort of girls' show time.

It doesn't take more than a couple minutes in any new store for the sales person to find out that I am an experienced shooter and know exactly what I like and what I want. BUT I'm not a young curvaceous blond so my experiences are probably a lot different from those of other women.

Backtrack close to 20 years ago: As more often than not happens, Gramps (Hubby) bought me my first gun which was a wonderful 5 shot chief's special revolver, well used and taken care of. Then when I was ready for a semi-auto he bought me another gun. It was total garbage and the gun store took it back.......then the store guy and my dearest showed me a little semi that THEY thought I should have. NO WAY. That was when I picked out my gun myself. It was a Glock 19. Never a problem in a gun store since then.
    Snub44, Misty Lu, Pete63 and 3 others like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Always hated to see someone hand a woman a j frame and say itís simple you donít have to think about anything but pulling the trigger. Nothing like telling your customer sheís to dumb to operate the simple controls of a handgun. Or the even better women canít pull the slide back on a automatic you know because they are so weak and puny how can one expect them to do anything without assistance.

I always asked what they were going to use it for and if they had anything in mind. If not Iíd happily hand them every gun in the case which one feels the best was generally a good indication as to what you shoot well in my experience. Then go over the ones they liked in more detail explain the features and controls. Plus Iíll happily join someone at the range with a whole bunch of options and see what they enjoy shooting.

When my wife began carrying I let her shoot a ton and then narrowed it down to what she liked and what she was willing to carry. She goes back and forth between a mustang and a j frame alternating as she wishes. Planning to get her a 22 mag j frame she loves the 38 but wants to shoot the same thing with less recoil. So Iíll get her a airweight 22 mag. She shot a LCR in 22mag and enjoyed it she just wasnít a fan of the LCR compared to the smith. She has the gamut to choose from I donít mind what she picks when it was time to get a rifle she shot a bunch and ended up wanting a PS90 itís hers for sure and she lets me know it if I shoot it at the range lol.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Nor is it consigned to only one side of the counter.
    I left the retail business mainly due to idiotic customers. When I tell you we don't carry what you're looking for, quit describing it a different way and asking again!
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    This is the one she bought.
    Name:  Leopard 38 spl..jpg
Views: 19
Size:  13.8 KB
    You two should not expect Christmas cards from OV this year...
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I left the retail business mainly due to idiotic customers. When I tell you we don't carry what you're looking for, quit describing it a different way and asking again!
    I never vexed the customer service representatives, OV. But I understand it can be a two way street, as you said.

As a singer, I have received requests for songs I didn't know at the time, which actually upset some of them. Sorry, I'm just a little human, not a juke box.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Lu View Post
    I never vexed the customer service representatives, OV. But I understand it can be a two way street, as you said.

As a singer, I have received requests for songs I didn't know at the time, which actually upset some of them. Sorry, I'm just a little human, not a juke box.
    My buddy is a local singer .. Old school guy raised on 60-70 rock and roll Neil young , stones etc ..To see his face when some drunk wedding parts ask for katty perry or the like is priceless .

And yeah I hate when I get some CS guy who think they know it all etc .. It gets to be a pain
    Misty Lu, Wolf357, Pete63 and 2 others like this.
    ďEvery normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.Ē H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post

And yeah I hate when I get some CS guy who think they know it all etc .. It gets to be a pain
    Itís a blessing in disguise, really. That guy is costing the business money, and the bosses are too clueless to pick up on it. Just look elsewhere.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Here aloft, we are not lost, but found".

Ernest K. Gann

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    My grown niece likes her .40.
    Wolf357 and gatorbait51 like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Oh, that was YOU ! I told your boss he should fire you. Apparently, he did, and now you're lying about "leaving." Tsk, tsk, tsk...

Can't blame you though, for being cranky - I'm not that fond of Wally World either.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    Oh, that was YOU ! I told your boss he should fire you. Apparently, he did, and now you're lying about "leaving." Tsk, tsk, tsk...
    There goes your Christmas card!
    PhaedrusIV and gatorbait51 like this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    What we have here is a failure to communicate...
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links