Anybody else eating a low-carb diet?

This is a discussion on Anybody else eating a low-carb diet? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am type 2 diabetic and have to severely limit my carb intake. I dearly love beans - limas, pintos, great northerns. Anyway, I found ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Anybody else eating a low-carb diet?

I am type 2 diabetic and have to severely limit my carb intake. I dearly love beans - limas, pintos, great northerns. Anyway, I found these black soybeans on Amazon and ordered a case of 12. They are wonderful.

I made ham and bean soup today with onions, garlic, tomatoes and carrots. Spiced it all up with cumin and cayenne. It is fantastic and almost zero carbs.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...1?ie=UTF8&th=1
    Memphis -- No. 2 on the list of most crime ridden cities in America. Working on being No. 1 but we just can't catch Detroit.

1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

I've been on the Keto diet since the beginning of October, or at least as close to it as reasonably possible. I do miss a big plate full of beans. But having lost 50+ pounds since Oct., I'll have to keep on missing them for the foreseeable future. The trade off is I eat a lot more steak now.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I've been on the Keto diet since the beginning of October, or at least as close to it as reasonably possible. I do miss a big plate full of beans. But having lost 50+ pounds since Oct., I'll have to keep on missing them for the foreseeable future. The trade off is I eat a lot more steak now.
    OV, these beans are almost carb free. 8 grams of carbs, 7 of which is fiber for a net carb load of 1. I made refried beans with them, ham and bean soup and a few others.
    Memphis -- No. 2 on the list of most crime ridden cities in America. Working on being No. 1 but we just can't catch Detroit.

US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Senior Moderator
    Most of the snacks my wife and I had around here were carb-based. We declared them "contraband" nearly 2 years ago, and since that time have severely cut back on carbs overall. I can't remember the last time we had a loaf of bread in the house! Combined, we lost over 100 pounds in the first year. More importantly, we've kept it off, subject to some seasonal variations.

What I miss most are making my full range of pasta dishes! And making bread. Those are now reserved for special family gatherings or when we put meals together for friends in need.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

"Low-carb diet"... That's like eating a thin crust pizza, right?

Anyway, I'm classed as a 'little person'. But I've still got the curves.
    Wolf357, QKShooter, Havok and 9 others like this.

Distinguished Member
    We've avoided white flour, rice, sugar and Idaho potatoes for years. Low glycemic, not low carb. Use barley or quinoa for rice. Red/yellow potatoes and almond or coconut flour with whole wheat flour.
    Redbert31, QKShooter and MMinSC like this.
    I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

If you have an excuse for failure, you will.

I'm on seafood diet.
    I eat everything I see.

Not so much, but I cooked low carb and low sodium for my mother-in-law for awhile till she passed and actually got the glucose levels down to where she needed to reduce her meds. Lots of protein and high fiber veggies. Always going for flavors instead of bland.
    Her levels were often in the 300s.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Distinguished Member
    I began a low carb diet seven years ago when I weighed 205 lbs at 510 tall. Today I am at 165 lbs where I have been for over three years. When it becomes to carbs I cut out simple carbs like sugar, breads except for multigrain breads that are baked daily, not the ones in supermarkets in plastic wrap. Bread accompanies some of my meals, particularly those that have no other carbs included. When I eat carbs the intake is portion controlled by eating smaller quantities than I used to eat. So wen I buy a baking potato I pick a small one, perhaps 4oz to eat. I do not at cakes, pastries, and the like, but I do succumb to a pie spec of a fruit pie at times. I have found that portion control is key to dieting. Eat a balanced diet, eliminate calories the are not supplying nutrition, and ear slowly and stop when you begin to feel full even if that means not eating everything in your plate. There is abundant proof that some people eat in excess of the amount needed for daily nutrition and good health. The proof of that is all around you in public. Just look at the body mass of some folks, and you know they overeat.
    Last edited by 1942bull; May 5th, 2019 at 10:43 AM.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June 66 to February 68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    I am type 2 diabetic and have to severely limit my carb intake. I dearly love beans - limas, pintos, great northerns. Anyway, I found these black soybeans on Amazon and ordered a case of 12. They are wonderful.

I made ham and bean soup today with onions, garlic, tomatoes and carrots. Spiced it all up with cumin and cayenne. It is fantastic and almost zero carbs.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...1?ie=UTF8&th=1
    I too am a type2 diabetic and I most definitely will try your soup, I like beans too, my favorite is yellow eye but I can't find any.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty222 View Post
    I'm on seafood diet.
    I eat everything I see.
    In my younger days, I was on the Dollar diet. You only eat what you can afford and nearly starve to death.
    QKShooter and Redbert31 like this.

US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    There is abundant proof that some people eat in excess of the amount needed for daily nutrition and good health. The proof of that is all around you in public. Just look at the body mass of some folks, and you know they overeat.
    They all told me they were just big boned. Did they lie to me? Well bless their hearts...
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I cut out as much processed sugar as I could.

When we were told fat is bad and they replaced the flavor fat brings with chemicals it was all down hill from there. You do what is best for you.

Diets do not work. Lifestyle changes do.
    QKShooter, Redbert31 and MMinSC like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Low carbs and low sugar. I've kept 40lbs off for almost 2 years now. The back and knees thank me every day.
    Redbert31 and QKShooter like this.

I try not to eat anything that stinks, mostly.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links