NEED HELP with MS outlook .msg extensions

This is a discussion on NEED HELP with MS outlook .msg extensions within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; EDITED this post because I found out that ALL Outlook emails are generated in .msg format - NOT in .eml format. It turns out that ...

Thread: NEED HELP with MS outlook .msg extensions

VIP Member

EDITED this post because I found out that ALL Outlook emails are generated in .msg format - NOT in .eml format. It turns out that emails I have save before I had MS office are still in .eml extension format. All emails saved to my hard drives in the past 3 years I've had Office have been in .msg format and I NEVER NOTICED THAT UNTIL YESTERDAY. So it was not a MS update that changed extensions after all.

STILL looking for a reader that will read them on my computer that doesn't have office, though. There have been several suggestions in posts down the line here and I'm checking them all out.
    ============

I have tens of thousands of emails saved to my hard drive. I have MS Office on one computer and all of those saved emails retain their .eml extensions.

HOWEVER, I also transfer all of my files from that computer to a second computer which does not have MS Office on it. Some time ago I had installed Thunderbird email client on that computer and although I never use it anymore, it still functioned to open the .eml files if I wanted to read any of them.

NOW after the latest MS update every single .eml message on that second computer has been changed from .eml to .msg and I can no longer open them. If I click on any one of them it opens in notepad with only machine language showing.

That second computer gives me the option of signing up for a messaging account. No other option. These are NOT messaging feed messages!

ABOVE in blue does not apply!

Does anyone know what I can do to get those .msg files so I can actually read the emails? I have searched on line and can find nothing at all to help.

Note: For emails that are still in my Outlook client on my machine with Office, I can save as many as I want to a .txt file but I clean out Outlook both on my computer and also on line so there is nothing I can do about the other 8 or 10 years of files that have been changed to .msg extensions.

There is no way that I've found to save any .eml messages already on the hard drive as .txt files, other than opening every single one ONE AT A TIME. That would take years. I don't have years.

Help will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ShooterGranny; May 17th, 2019 at 09:41 PM.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar

Good luck, I remember something similar I experienced a long, long time ago.
    I found a converter and kept an old computer and turned off all updates. Also external drives are my friend.

Wish I could help, did you try a .msg to .txt or to .pdf converter? Some are free to try online.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Distinguished Member
    @ShooterGranny , you might want to take a look at the info linked to below. Stories like yours make me happy I have been Mac since 1998.

Https://file.org/extension/msg
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June 66 to February 68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim." General (retired) James Mattis.

Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    Changing the extension will likely not work. The internal format of .eml and .msg files are very different.

@ShooterGranny
    There are a number of free programs that can be used to open msg files. Here are a few: Free Opener, MSG Viewer, MsgViewer Pro, and Email Open View Pro. You could also look to 'convert' them to a more generic format (e.g. txt), but doing so will lose a lot of the other meta data associated with the files. I'd suggest just installing a free viewer on the PC without Office.

VIP Member
    @1942bull I looked at the file viewer recommended on that web page and of all of the file extensions it WILL open, guess what? It will NOT open either .eml or .msg files. But thanks anyway.

I have considered switching to mac a few times when I needed to buy a new computer but unfortunately I have a few software programs that I use a lot that are not compatible with mac at all. And I always winced when I looked at the mac prices.......that, too.

==================

VIP Member
    @Psycho41 Thanks for the list. I will investigate more in depth when I have the other computer running, but a quick look-see shows that none of the ones you named have very good reviews. I think the best are the ones that are only 30 day free trials and you have to buy them if they have worked for you. I might have to do that to see what they actually do.

==================

@ShooterGranny I wouldn't bother changing formats. You can save all your email files as .txt files using Outlook. Copy all your original email files to a separate directory and then do this procedure on the first computer for the original email files. I'm pretty sure Outlook will not delete the original files, but if it does, you have the copies in the directory you created.

https://www.lifewire.com/save-emails...utlook-1173728

Most of the better e-mail programs like Thunderbird do exactly the same thing using the SAVE AS function (highlight e-mail files then right click and click on SAVE AS - select .txt extension at the bottom of the window).
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Can you revert to a previous saved checkpoint or whatever they call it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    @ShooterGranny I wouldn't bother changing formats. You can save all your email files as .txt files using Outlook. Copy all your original email files to a separate directory and then do this procedure on the first computer for the original email files. I'm pretty sure Outlook will not delete the original files, but if it does, you have the copies in the directory you created.

https://www.lifewire.com/save-emails...utlook-1173728

Most of the better e-mail programs like Thunderbird do exactly the same thing using the SAVE AS function (highlight e-mail files then right click and click on SAVE AS - select .txt extension at the bottom of the window).
    Yes, I can save emails that are still in Outlook - in bunches, groups, whatever, putting a lot of them into one .txt file. However, 99.98% of the emails are no longer in Outlook, either in my desk email client or Outlook on line. I clean them out regularly and the only ones that remain are the ones I've dragged and dropped to files on my hard drive. AND after they are "not in Outlook" anymore, THOSE can only be saved to .txt files one at a time by opening them on this "office enabled computer."

I'm hoping to find a 'reader' program that will open them without having to go through months and months of doing stuff, one file at a time.

==================

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pittpa View Post
    Can you revert to a previous saved checkpoint or whatever they call it?
    The problem with going to a previous restore point is that the next time MS has an update they will reinstall any updates that were removed in the restore to an earlier date process, so no gain there for this problem.

==================

It isn't as simple as changing the extension from .eml to .txt or .msg. The .msg and .eml file formats are different. The SAVE AS process would be more appropriately called a FORMAT CHANGE AND SAVE, but they just use save as.

I apologize, but without actually sitting at your computer, I'm afraid I'm not much help.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Everything I have is MS. We have an agreement: I don't mess with it and it doesn't mess with me. Every time I try something else, that's when everything gets screwy.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member

Hallelujah and Glory Be! I found one that works!!!!!

THANKS TO @Psycho41 I clicked on the link provided and the very first FREE program on that page: Coolutils Mail Viewer actually WORKS.

You have to open a file OR file folder in the program, but then it lists every single email, whether in .eml or in .msg format......you click on the one you want to view and it comes up intact, pictures and all, in the viewing pane at the right side. I would like it if that viewing pane were wider, but as any Jewish mother will tell you:

"For free, don't (word meaning complain that starts with a B)"

THANK YOU AGAIN!

A happy way to end this day for me.

==================

Sponsored Links