Sometimes, ya just gotta let a dog be a dog. - Page 2

Sometimes, ya just gotta let a dog be a dog.

This is a discussion on Sometimes, ya just gotta let a dog be a dog. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I despise squirrels....so, you did great by the baby and the squirrel....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Sometimes, ya just gotta let a dog be a dog.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    I despise squirrels....so, you did great by the baby and the squirrel.
    glockman10mm and OD* like this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Every day is squirrel season at my house. Hate the critters. I've relocated about 60, but there is one left that is trap smart.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Moderator
    Nothing like a warm chew toy!
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

My husky is a squirrel chompin' fanatic. When she was a youngster I watched her run 4 feet up the trunk of a large tree and snatch one as it circled around said tree.

I have many that come through the our property intent upon setting up house in my trees. Squirrels are so very hard on trees and squirrel families are simply intolerable because of this. Not to mention what they do to my power lines...

I take them out with a .22 air gun, a springer rifle. The rifle sits in a corner of my kitchen near the back door. All I have to do is pick it up and Nika starts to sing and dance. She knows the game is afoot. Out we go and she circles beneath the being trespassed by the arboreal rat. The rifle is fired and the squirrel begins it fall, pinball fashion through the many limbs. She observes it all carefully and positions herself exactly where that tree rat will hit the ground. Nika snatches up the deceased intruder and re-kills it with much enthusiasm. Packs it off to her secluded hide under some thick junipers where she'll taste its blood and watch over her prize.

I give her 15 minutes or so with her kill and then throw the damn thing in the incinerator barrel.

Agree with the OP. Let 'em be what they are. I think it brings them great pleasure and satisfaction.
    glockman10mm, OD*, AzQkr and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Every day is squirrel season at my house. Hate the critters. I've relocated about 60, but there is one left that is trap smart.
    Why is it .22CB Cap or pellet gun smart??
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    We used to have baby bunnies in our back yard and our big bad Rotty would stand guard over them and not let the other dogs near them.
    Now squirrels are a different story...They like to antagonize and every now and again they slip up.
    Strange how they pick and choose. We had a 100 lb Catahoola Leopard Do,g rescued from death by stomping by the wife, and he would run down rabbits, kill skunks, coons and threw a stray dog over our 4' fence (at the time never had any squirrels though). But would let all of the cats inside, and one that was outside 'til we brought him in, stick their heads in his mouth. He actually acted scared he would hurt one when he walked. "Anything" in his yard was dead meat, "anything" he took as his could do no wrong.
    The Rotty must have been a good one!

Squirrels occasionally raid our bird feeder so I sometimes take them out with my river pellet gun from the back door. Our oldest dachshund has learned that when daddy gets the pellet rifle, there's about to be a new furry toy.

I think squirrels and chipmunks are funny and cute. I feed them to keep them coming around.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Cute rats is all they are.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Cute rats is all they are.
    Especially when they gnaw the fascia boards on the house. That's a "cute" deal breaker there!
    OD* and glockman10mm like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Limb rats are not my favorite animal. Anything you can do to get rid of them I applaud you. Had a couple of dogs that loved to chase and caught the little
    critters. She sure looks happy.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links