Sometimes, ya just gotta let a dog be a dog.

This is a discussion on Sometimes, ya just gotta let a dog be a dog. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Our dog Lindie, was purchased for the grand total of $15 at a Flea Market in London Ky about 9 or 10 years ago. I ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Sometimes, ya just gotta let a dog be a dog.

Our dog Lindie, was purchased for the grand total of $15 at a Flea Market in London Ky about 9 or 10 years ago.
    I bought her with the intent of making a squirrel dog out of her, but then the wife made s pet out of her, and when I got attached to her also, I couldn’t take a chance on hunting her due to the thick coyote population.

When I take her out for a walk, she loves to bark at and chase the squirrels ( to the extent of her long leash)
    So today she almost had one that came down the base of an old oak tree in my yard....just missed it.

So, she did what a good tree dog would do, and started “ talking to it” by barking at it.

The squirrel as as I could tell was feeling pretty smug about the entire ordeal and was looking down on Lindie with great disrespect from his safe position sitting on a limb, high in the tree.

Well, I thought I’d help her out, and let her reap the rewards of her efforts, and teach that ol wascally squirrel a lesson.
    So with one shot from the G26, and a 124 weight +p XTP, Lindies dreams were fulfilled:)
    Sometimes, ya just gotta let a dog be a dog.-06b674d3-316d-479e-b4a1-29b9273f8c15.jpeg
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

You made her day!
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

flh
    What a good daddy, we will do anything to make our furry kids happy 😊

I've Been Called A Lot Of Names But Papa Is My Favorite

Distinguished Member Array Cornhusker95's Avatar
    We used to have baby bunnies in our back yard and our big bad Rotty would stand guard over them and not let the other dogs near them.
    Now squirrels are a different story...They like to antagonize and every now and again they slip up.

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    What a good daddy, we will do anything to make our furry kids happy 
    Yeah, even sacrifice a little more hearing:) It had been a while since I fired without hearing protection. Those +p’s and a short barrel will ring your bell, lol
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Name:  you're awesome.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  31.7 KB
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

I miss that little monster. My sit on the couch and watch a movie buddy.
    https://www.facebook.com/Appalachian...125519/?ref=hl
    I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Yer a good doggydaddy.
    glockman10mm and Gabill like this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Sponsor
    My Akita would chase squirrels relentlessly at the park or behind the house. 3 years old, blew out the left ACL which cost me 2K. Two years later, she blew out the right side ACL for another 2.5K. Had a specialized vet come down from NH both times and make the legs bionic. She chased them until she tuned 8 and lost interest. She caught several over the years, and would bring them back to me and drop them at my feet.

Your's got her reward, it'll reinforce her chasing them until she decides she's too old and it's no longer worth the effort. Nothing like a mans best friend to make you smile.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    So, she did what a good tree dog would do, and started “ talking to it” by barking at it.

The squirrel as as I could tell was feeling pretty smug about the entire ordeal and was looking down on Lindie with great disrespect from his safe position sitting on a limb, high in the tree.

Well, I thought I’d help her out, and let her reap the rewards of her efforts, and teach that ol wascally squirrel a lesson.
    So with one shot from the G26, and a 124 weight +p XTP, Lindies dreams were fulfilled:)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06B674D3-316D-479E-B4A1-29B9273F8C15.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	295144

Its squirrel season, but centerfire handgun ....
    Squirrel was clearly about to attack friendly dog, had to defend pet from aggressive wildlife.
    Good shot!
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Back in the 70's, I bought an English pointer ($50) and started training her for hunting quail. She trained up well, but she had a big problem. Every (and I mean every) time she crossed a racoon scent, she would break & go off after the racoon. While hanging out with some other hunters, I was lamenting about this and asked if anyone knew a way to break her of this habit. One guy felt so bad for me that he gave me $400 to take her off my hands...to hunt racoons.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Distinguished Member Array xXxHeavy's Avatar
    Hmmm.....huntin' out of season....with physical evidence to boot.....here in Jersey that would be about a 500.00 fine and loss of license.......but Lindie is smiling....
    Gabill likes this.
    Why did the Moron buy a ladder...... he's takin' his case to a higher court.

Good boy!

And she looks happy too :)
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Good looking dog, Gman! Glad you made her day!
    OD*, airslot and Gabill like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Good for her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links