Tornado

Tornado

This is a discussion on Tornado within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Tornado season is officially here....Those dreaded sirens are sounding...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Tornado

Distinguished Member Array Cornhusker95's Avatar

Tornado

Tornado season is officially here....Those dreaded sirens are sounding

VIP Member
    Keep your head down.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

flh
    Was watching this on the weather channel , call me crazy 😜 but I'll take a nice blizzard over a tornado or hurricane

You may not be able to see my house from all the snow but it's still where I last left it ...

I've Been Called A Lot Of Names But Papa Is My Favorite

VIP Member
    My wife and I were at Busch Gardens many years ago, and a terrible storm came up. We scurried from kiosk to kiosk on our way back to the parking lot when we noticed the palm trees were basically horizontal. As we sought shelter in one of the kiosks, along with several other people, we hear one tourist say "Wow! is this a hurricane?"

The clerks in the souvenir stand were quick to try to calm the tourists down by saying "No, it's not a hurricane, please don't get everyone upset, it's only a tornado!"

Mrs Pockets and I immediately began looking for a bigger building, something a little further from the tiger pits.
    airslot and ShooterGranny like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Tornadoes wipe out everything, but usually in a somewhat narrow and short path. it either hits you or it does not. Hurricanes are less prone to wipe things out, but the damage is much more widespread, like half a state--and then there is the flooding that often accompanies them.

Between the two, I'll take a hurricane. I've had two hurricanes run right over my house and several pass nearby with minimal damage. Can't say the same if they were tornadoes. I can't imagine waking to a 2 AM siren and ducking into a storm shelter.
    airslot, PhaedrusIV and msgt/ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

My oldest son lives near Oklahoma City, it worries me but he has to make his own way. Yesterday, I called and asked what his plans were if a storm hit, he said they would go to his office at the college, the office is below ground level. Problem is, it is one mile away. We went through three hurricanes before moving, they are worse because of the widespread damage and piss poor planning of emergency officials.
    Cornhusker95 likes this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Tornadoes wipe out everything, but usually in a somewhat narrow and short path. it either hits you or it does not. Hurricanes are less prone to wipe things out, but the damage is much more widespread, like half a state--and then there is the flooding that often accompanies them.

Between the two, I'll take a hurricane. I've had two hurricanes run right over my house and several pass nearby with minimal damage. Can't say the same if they were tornadoes. I can't imagine waking to a 2 AM siren and ducking into a storm shelter.
    I have, so far, been in 3 tornadoes, and could not agree with you more. One while I was working in a garage, and I dove for cover under the vehicle I was working on, while the glass doors on both ends of the shop blew out, one while I cowered under a highway overpass and watched a telephone pole go past one end of my shelter, and part of a house passed by on the other end of the overpass. The third was a little more severe; it toppled 18 trees in my yard and had the audacity to throw the last one on top of my house, trapping us inside.

I've never been in a hurricane, but I assure you, when someone says there's a tornado nearby, I'm first to the basement.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I generally agree with that with up to a CAT 2 or 3. Where I lived in the FL panhandle, most of our hurricane damage was from the tornados that spun off of the hurricanes. That was until Hurricane Michael (CAT 5) in October 2018. Most of my friends / neighbors road it out. They all said it was the worst 3-4 hours of their life.

Hurricane is kind of like the final test in school you dread all semester.
    Tornado is like a pop quiz that can do equal/worse damage if a fraction of time.
    ShooterGranny and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    Was watching this on the weather channel , call me crazy 😜 but I'll take a nice blizzard over a tornado or hurricane

You may not be able to see my house from all the snow but it's still where I last left it ...
    I will take a blizzard over a tornado also. But, Iíll take Oklahoma over New York anytime

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Stay safe.
    Cornhusker95 likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

They probably read your "Get off My Lawn" sign. Otherwise, things would have been much worse.

Hurricanes, of course, are not afraid of your silly signs - they're afraid of YOU !

Just like the rest of us.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    They probably read your "Get off My Lawn" sign. Otherwise, things would have been much worse.

Hurricanes, of course, are not afraid of your silly signs - they're afraid of YOU !

Just like the rest of us.
    I am harmless. The landmines and punji sticks not so much.
    PhaedrusIV and airslot like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I was sentenced to Oklahoma (Altus AFB) for 6 years, seen plenty of damage from tornadoes but never went through one.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I was sentenced to Oklahoma (Altus AFB) for 6 years, seen plenty of damage from tornadoes but never went through one.
    I grew-up in OKC, and have seen some VERY interesting weather.

My son lives in Moore, and that BIG one that went through Moore a few years ago missed his house by less than a mile.
    msgt/ret, OD* and airslot like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

It seems there are more tornados this season than in the past several years. There have been several in our area already. We don't have a shelter, but we do have a plan for when the sirens sound. The destruction from some of the twisters has been incredible. Luck of the draw I guess if one comes your way or not. Hope all have plans in place to deal with whatever mother nature may send your way. Stay safe my friends.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links